Is a cake mixer worth the money?

dolphin9, Dec 9, 6:03pm
Thinking of buying a cake mixer as I do a lot of baking but never had one. As they're very expensive I'm wondering if they're worth the money as all they do is the stiring? Wondering what people with them think, and if they use them.

lythande1, Dec 9, 6:16pm
no, hand mixer is all you need

lilyfield, Dec 9, 6:23pm
Ok, I love mine, but,,, nowadays we all eat far too much sweet things, our grandparents did not bake that often, just for special occasion, maybe because the beating of butter and sugar was such long hard work.
I am not sure that a several hundred dollar machine is such a good investment, if mine ever breaks down I would NOT replace it. There are hundreds of recipe these days around where you just stir and/melt things together, no machine needed.
But, a small handheld beater for under 50 bucks is still essential imo.

amanda_simonp, Dec 9, 6:41pm
I bought one a few years ago, something I had to have, and to be honest, I should have stuck with my hand beater, I never use it.

cleggyboy, Dec 9, 6:51pm
I have one with the planetary geared head, not worth the bother unless it has that. Mine also has a blender mounted on the end.

valentino, Dec 9, 7:06pm
I have both a hand mixer and a Cake Mixer, love them both.

Cake mixer is about 40 years old, still going and used quite bit but no so much lately. The hand mixer eased the load of the cake mixer and was more portable partially for lighter whips like creams etc.

I'm a guy love tools and one of the tools I have but rarely used is a "Torque Wrench", but boy - it is the most valued tool I have, why, it does a certain job that only that does and is very vital.

L:ikewise with a Cake-mixer, you may use it rarely or lot, but the bottom line is that it does those special mixes that only a cake mixer can do.

That is one reason, the other main reason is it mixes a number of items ideally and saves my hand (Whipping) or the hand mixer ( not very strong and gives up quite quickly if over-used).

The question you need to ask of yourself is what can you make regularly with it or will I be really using it at least a few times, also your age, LOL but true.

Hopes this help, just a couple of thoughts.

Cheers.

dolphin9, Dec 9, 7:07pm
what's the benefit on the planetary geared head (sorry not sure what that is)

valentino, Dec 9, 7:09pm
I have both a hand mixer and a Cake Mixer, love them both.

Cake mixer is about 40 years old, still going and used quite bit but no so much lately. The hand mixer eased the load of the cake mixer and was more portable partially for lighter whips like creams etc.

I'm a guy love tools and one of the tools I have but rarely used is a "Torque Wrench", but boy - it is the most valued tool I have, why, it does a certain job that only that does and is very vital.

L:ikewise with a Cake-mixer, you may use it rarely or lot, but the bottom line is that it does those special mixes that only a cake mixer can do.

That is one reason, the other main reason is it mixes a number of items ideally and saves my hand and the hand mixer ( not very strong and gives up quite quickly if over-used).

The question you need to ask of yourself is what can you make regularly with it or will I be really using it at least a few times, also your age, LOL but true.

Hopes this help, just a couple of thoughts.

Cheers.

sampa, Dec 9, 7:38pm
Which brand are you considering buying dolphin?

cleggyboy, Dec 9, 9:23pm
Bit hard to explain but here goes, the spindle that holds the whisk/beater etc revolves and then the head also revolves so you get right to the edge of the bowl.

Here is better explanation I found on the net: A mixer or stirrer in which paddles are rotated about an axis which itself is moved in a circular path.

sampa, Dec 9, 9:54pm

gilligee, Dec 9, 11:22pm
My trusty Sunbeam mixer died a few years ago and I considered which one to replace it with.
My sister who does masses of baking, cake stalls etc, has only ever used a hand held mixer and has been cooking for family for nearly fifty years.
I also took into consideration my limited kitchen storage and continued with my hand held mixer.
I made the correct decision for me.

dolphin9, Dec 10, 5:03am
Currently looking at the Breville Scraper Pro, the piece that mixes has scraper edges which are meant to scrape the bowl down to mix it all. Although the only one currently available is a twin, which means it comes with two sized bowls.

rainrain1, Dec 10, 5:19am
I bought one a few years ago and used it once, it looked great sitting on my bench for 8 months though, but how silly is that? So I gave it away to family, and just use an electric hand beater.
Would have loved one when I had all the kids at home.
PS I also love my wooden spoon!

motorbo, Dec 10, 5:55am
start a diary, tick everytime you use your hand held over a month . might help you to decide if you would use it enough

kay34, Dec 10, 6:22am
I bought a breville mixer scraper one a few years back, and its a wonder haven't worn a hle in the bottom of the bowl - i use it weekly, minimumand love it - will upgrade when it dies - also have a hand mixer, somewhere, i think.

sampa, Dec 10, 6:28am
Research today suggests that the next move is to mixers that heat/cook as well as do what we all know them best for. Not yet readily available in NZ at this point but, will arrive in time I'm sure. Many $$$ at the moment even if one can be sourced.

dolphin9, Dec 10, 6:31am
I only use my hand held electric beater for whipping cream, otherwise when making cakes I just stir with a spoon

nauru, Dec 10, 6:37am
Mine is one of the original Kenwood chef mixers (UK made) which was my MIL's, it's still going as well as the day she bought it way back in the early 60's. It has done some miles over the years and I do still use it, especially around this time of year with Christmas baking but not as much as when the family were at home. When it does die, I doubt I will replace it. Maybe you could consider the option of buying a second hand one.

wendalls, Dec 10, 6:59am
I bought the Breville scraper pro less than two years ago on sale at farmers. The main mixing part just disintegrated whilst using it recently and would be $50 to replace. Breville gave me one as a "gesture of goodwill" when I complained. When looking to replace it there were 6 others awaiting an email for when the part would be in stock. Not sure if they all decided to order before Xmas baking but 6 waiting at any one time seems a lot to me. I wonder if it was a dishwasher thing. Generally I would hand wash, but maybe a few hot washes severely weakened the plastic. ?

valentino, Dec 10, 6:59pm
Oh, the one I noted above is a Sunbeam Cake Mixer.

I have 2 daughters in NZ, couple of years ago, one was complaining because her hand mixer was breaking down and would buy another only for it to happen again (of course after being well used) so I did a search on TM and came up with 2 of them identical to my one and looking far better so purchased them and gave one each. They absolutely thrilled and happy and of course get well used as now they know they can do more effortlessnessly (if ever such a word), LOL.

Their baking is also greatly improved.

Editing to add that the prices paid was $35 and $50, extremely cheap for what these are.

Cheers and hopes this helps.

freedreamz, Dec 10, 7:24pm
I have one and love it, 2 diff sized bowls comes in handy for making brownies (I think it was). Has timer on it so you can see how long you have been whipping, can pause it. Have to admit it was $400 on briscoes sale, but hubby got a new ride on lawn mower so a new cake mixer was cheap. I went with that one due to the size of the large bowl, as when I bake I make double mixes and my old one, the bowl was tiny.

fifie, Dec 10, 9:29pm
If you do a lot of baking yes invest in a good one. Over the years ive had a few beaters etc but nothing measured up to the trusty old kenwood. It died at 49 years of age, i well and truly had my moneys worth out of it while baking for the family.

punkinthefirst, Apr 26, 8:56am
I've had three Kenwoods in the last 40 years. The first and the last were second hand. The new one, (the second one,) was used hard, but frankly, I don't use a mixer much these days, because there's only me, and I don't need baking.
Only you know whether or not you have the use for a big, solid, hard working mixer, or whether a smaller hand mixer with a stand and its own bowl, will serve your needs. Sunbeam does a good one - about $50 last time I looked, at Briscoes. I also have one of those, and it's great for small jobs.