Cake Mixer or Food Processor?

My faithful Kenwood Chef has finally died after more than 50 years great service. It was my mother's before me. I don't do nearly as much baking now as I did a few years ago but I still make several large Christmas cakes each year (not all for me! ). Am wondering what would now be the best piece of equipment to replace my old mixer with. I have always used the blender of the mixer quite a lot, that is why I am thinking about a good food processor but would that cope with the larger cakes? Appreciate any suggestions/advice.

Chef_gildon, Jun 12, 12:41 am

best to go with the cake mixer if still doing large fruit cakes as has beaters as with the food processor that has blades dont think it will cope

Chef_harrislucinda, Jun 12, 1:32 am

I've never owned a cake mixer, never will. My old Ralta can handle batter, so a modern blender sure would,

Chef_lythande1, Jun 12, 3:38 am

I've got my mother's old Kenwood, too & it has to be a similar age.
I'd go for another Kenwood or similar as I don't think a food processor would compare for big cakes. I seldom bake big cakes, but always use the mixer, rather than my food processor.

Chef_samanya, Jun 12, 4:55 am

I would go for a small hand held electric beater and also a medium size proccessor. they both do different things.Lately I use my small beater more than I use the big sunbeam

Chef_korbo, Jun 12, 5:02 am

That was my first thought too korbo but I wonder if the small hand held beater would cope with large fruit cake mixtures,

Chef_gildon, Jun 12, 8:57 am

If your goal is fruit cakes, then a mixer.
A processor will chop the fruit into a pureee.

Chef_duckmoon, Jun 12, 9:02 am

I have a Kenwood (with mincer and blender attachments) and a Food Processor, with chopping blades, slicer and grater. I use them both regularly and there really isn't much crossover in function. Briscoes often have really good specials on Kenwood mixers and if you're not in a hurry, hold out for a special that includes extra attachments!

Chef_oopie, Jun 12, 9:41 pm

I No longer bake much now, my old kenwood packed it in also. I replaced it with a smaller mixer from op shop. I replaced my old food processor that blew also with a new one, as i seem to use it more these days. No good for making my xmas cakes though, so i drag out the mixer. As someone said watch out for the specials.

Chef_fifie, Jun 13, 12:28 am

Thank you everyone for your replies. It looks like a new mixer and perhaps what I have been promising myself for sometime, a decent food processor as well.

Chef_gildon, Jun 14, 2:03 am

mmmm. I use the small one to do the creaming, then fold the fruit and flour by hand.

Chef_korbo, Jun 15, 11:24 pm

in the past ive used a little gold air electric hand held 2 beater mixer thats years old, for creaming large mixture xmas cakes. Then put mix into a large bowl to fold in flour fruit etc by hand, that worked okay. I can't mix by hand now as my hands are twisted with rhueamatoid arthritis and i no longer have the strength or can hold a large spoon to mix it all together.

Chef_fifie, Aug 27, 9:07 am