Best cake mixer?

Page 1 / 3
stormbaby, Jan 10, 5:36am
x1
I have my Mum's old Sunbeam Mixmaster here, from when she first came to NZ in the 1950's. Have been using it a few years, but really, it needs replacing as not up to the amounts I do now. I want to buy another and want a few opinions. Would like to buy the big Sumbeam Mixmaster Pro and had a look. The salesman swore by the Kenwood, but they don't have the same "look" as the Sunbeam (I like the retro look). So you guys out there that bake a lot, who's got what?

lilyfield, Jan 10, 5:51am
Kenwood. Looks are unimportant. Its a gadget!!!

porsh_a, Jan 10, 5:56am
I have a Kenwood Chef KM300 ... which I bought about 4 years ago - and love it!

My Mum has had her Kenwood for 40 years and it is still going strong too :)

cookessentials, Jan 10, 6:03am
It's certainly not a gadget! At the end of the day, it isyour budget and how much use it will get.
I wouldnt have either to be honest. KitchenAid is the only way to go. Hand assembled, all metal construction , made in the USAand has been around far longer than Kenwood (91 years to be exact) Is Gear driven , not belt driven.Mixes to 67 points of the bowl ( meaning thorough mixing) as opposed to about eleven with it's competitors.
Used by professional che'fs and home cooks alike.
If you like retro, then it's shape has not really changed. It comes in 20 colours ( if that is important to you) and in fact, Breville AND Kenwood have tried to copy the shape and colours, but they dont even come close. This is what it looks like
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KSM150PSER/

245sam, Jan 10, 6:26am
I have a Kenwood Chef Excel - Electronic - KM210 which I have found is also very reliable and able to handle anything I've set it to do, including mixing a good sized Christmas cake mixture completely from start to finish.
Like porsh_a, I (or more correctly I think, my DH) would agree about "could be a bit quieter" but IMO, for a machine that's capable of handling the quantities such as the Christmas cake mixture there has to be a not-at-all silent motor with a good amount of'grunt'.
:-))

cookessentials, Jan 10, 6:31am
The KitchenAid is more than capable to do the same, but alot quieter. I have had the noise comments from a few customers who have moved from having a Kenwood to havinng a KitchenAid and they cannot believe the difference.

ant_sonja, Jan 10, 6:37am
I love my KitchenAid! Used to have a kenwood but I'm finding the kitchenAid is so much better - plus I got it in the colour I needed to match my kitchen lol

crayonstory, Jan 10, 7:15am
Cookessentials - I am currently trying to decide between a kenwood anda kitchenaid.I love the look of the kitchenaid!But it seems available attachments in NZ are pretty limited.My partner is likely to go to the US this year - could he buy additional compatible attachments there ok?

stormbaby, Jan 10, 8:00am
I agree.I would like something that has done the same job as my Mum's Sunbeam, something that can perhaps be handed on. Too many appliances are shite nowadays. I am trying to load that website, my only concern would be the servicing and maintenance of an American appliance here in good old NZ. Obviously it may need some work from time to time, how expensive to have serviced and how available are parts?

stormbaby, Jan 10, 8:06am
Hubby is a sparky, he wants to know if its 230 volt 50hz compatible. Also, I notice the exchange rate (just got home from Oz where it was terrible against our dollar!) is quite good, and it compares well with the one I was pricing from Sunbeam, what is their postage like to send one here?

uli, Jan 10, 8:07am
Kenwood Major if you are serious.
Sunbeam Mixmaster for the smaller household.

mt-deap, Jan 10, 8:11am
I had a very bad run with my Sunbeam mixmaster, it broke its drive shaft 3 times (doing very light mixing!).One repair took over 3 months for it to come back, because of waiting for parts to come in from overseas.I won't go near Sunbeam ones again, they were not nice to deal with, thankfully the shop I purchased it from stood up for me, I have a Kenwood now.

However I did like the way the Sunbeam mixed things and you can always get a lemon in any brand.

gildon, Jan 10, 8:13am
My Kenwood Chef is about 50 years old.It was my mother's which she used when they were living on a farm.I have used it constantly for about 40 years.It is wonderful!!Does everything from wedding cakes to pavlova.Had one minor repair several years ago.Still going strong!!

cookessentials, Jan 10, 8:58am
Sunbeam are crap and I have had way too many items from them that have not lasted. The older kenwoods and Sunbeams are TOTALLY different animals to the new ones...sorry, but it's a fact. If you have an oldie, treasure it, have it serviced and maintained.
The KitchenAids are 230 volt, they are wired specifically for NZ and Australia. KitchenAid are available in New Zealand, no need to have them sent!

cookessentials, Jan 10, 9:00am
No limited attachments, there are a huge number, including the new glass bowl with cover and the new pasta attachment for making tubular pasta...I saw the demo in Aussie in August, it was amazing. There is a catalogue available whiich shows you all the attachments that are available.

cookessentials, Jan 10, 9:02am
http://www.petermcinnes.com.au/Peter Mcinnes are the distributors in NZ and Australia, so this would be the better site to look at, it shows the new pasta attachment as well.

stormbaby, Jan 10, 9:44am
Thanks for that, looks exactly what I was looking for. Something that looks retro and is reliable and fixable. I agree with lemons in every brand. Years ago we had a Sanyo Washmachine Drier, and it was fab, but they were known as being a "lemon". Years later we had the fridge freezer from hell, I kid you not, 5 years of hell with that thing till we got rid of it. cookessentials I will look a the site and chose one, rather a lot to chose from, any recommendations?

cookessentials, Jan 10, 8:58pm
In regards to? The standard artisan is perfect for what you want stormbaby. The other model is only a little bigger wattage and the mechanism for removing the bowl is different, which some people dont like. As for colour...they are all the same price, apart from the brushed nickel and the chrome. The candy apple red is their limited edition model to celebrate their 90th anniversary last year. it is quite gorgeous, with a slightly metallic look ...just like a toffee apple red.

stormbaby, Jan 10, 10:39pm
The other question I have is the price, not mentioned on the website, I see there is a Christchurch distributor, but don't you have to have a business to buy one?BTW I love the lime green!

cookessentials, Jan 10, 11:40pm
Most cookware stores sell them stormbaby. You are looking at $995 not cheap, but well worth the investment. The apple green is lovely, I have had a couple of customers purchase that one. In fact, a lady that bought the apple green this time last year has just purchased the food processor in black to go with it.

stormbaby, Jan 10, 11:56pm
Hey cookessentials, the price on the American website for that is $199, the agent in chch wants $995 quoting "oh but there are a few bites out of the cherry on the way", yeah right.I will look into getting one shipped from the States at that price.

stormbaby, Jan 11, 12:45am
Hindsight, I think the price is US$349. However, thats NZ460 as opposed to NZ995, so I will contact my penpal in States to see if I can get one sent over. No hurry as the 60 year old one is still going, and I bought en entire, working one off TM for parts.

cookessentials, Jan 11, 1:06am
you wont be able to use it unless you have an adaptor.

cookessentials, Jan 11, 1:17am
and you will pay easily the same amount for shipping! Believe me, I bring in product from the USA and at times, the shipping is as much,sometimes more than the product, so just be aware of this. The machine weighs 11.3 kilos, not including the packaging.

cookessentials, Jan 11, 1:24am
Also bear in mind that if you purchase a KitchenAid from the USA, it will not be covered bythe warranty here. See below:

http://www.kitchenaid.com.au/au/my-kitchen-aid/faq/32-what-happens-if-i-purchased-my-product-in-the-us-is-it-still-covered-under-warranty-