Best cake mixer?

Page 2 / 3
stormbaby, Jan 11, 3:32am
Thanks for that, and all your help. I might weigh it all up! Seems I might get the old one serviced, and then save up the same amount I have already saved to get the KitchenAid.

cookessentials, Jan 11, 3:40am
If the one you have is an oldie and servicable, get ti done( depending on cost) but it may last you a while longer yet

stormbaby, Jan 11, 6:54am
Yup, will do as I have 2, one I got off TM for spare beaters after I munted the others.

landylass, Jan 11, 11:31pm
I wonder if the new models are as good as the old ones.Been Kenwood all the way.Mum had one for donkey years, I bought mine 2nd hand off an elderly lady about 25 years ago and apart from a minor pin needing fixing its still going strong and had lots of use.My step son used to sell them.An old lady came in and still had her warranty and it was a few weeks short of 25 years old.Kenwood replaced with a brand new one for her.

cookessentials, Jan 11, 11:53pm
Sadly, they are not. I have had two customers now who were tossing up between replacing their Kenwood and looked at both the KitchenAid and another Kenwood. One was convinced by her son, to get the Kenwood and every time she comes in she tells me that she wishes she had listened to me and bought the KitchanAid!
I have a KitchenAid multipr food processor that I have had for about seven years and I would never have another one, after seeing the KitcheAid in action and owning a blender so far, I will definately go for that before anything else.

pickles7, Jan 12, 12:55am
Kenwood for me, any time. I have an older model and most of the attachments. It has a lot of hard work to do at times, and never tires. Unlike a friend who has just dumped his Kitchen Aid. We are both Bakers by trade, He was not happy with the performance of the one he dumped at all.

us2, Jan 12, 5:46am
Kenwood for sure.....they been around for years, no worries getting serviced or parts......Good Warranties with the new ones and they are built well(and i don't even sell them)
Attachments can be ordered online direct from kenwoods website or ordered through stores.........
They also have 0800 number where you can ring for friendly advise

us2, Jan 12, 5:47am
Cookessentails, you sound like a real salesperson LOLOLdo you get commission too LOLOL

stormbaby, Jan 12, 6:58am
From what I have been looking at, I would say the Kitchen aid one is really superior to all the others. You get what you pay for and its way above the others in terms of workmanship and parts. Bit like the difference between European appliances like wash machines and dryers built to last 25 years or more, being used every day, and the new F&P with a lifetime of 7 years max. I don't think cookingessentials is being "a salesperson", rather she believes in the product. Gosh I rave about my Asko wash machine, still going after 20 years.My penpal in the States swears by all her American made appliances. Over there they just buy them once, so I guess they know what they are doing.

whiteheron1, Jan 12, 10:07am
I'd have to agree with Kitchen Aid, have one at work been used alot in a commercial kitchen no problems for 5 years, just about to buy one for home, but my quote was about $700

sikofstuf, Jan 13, 8:09am
Actually I have a breville that looks like the kitchen aid- I've had it 2 years, and I use it at LEAST 4 times a day- I bake anywhere from 6-16 cakes a week, and their icings. I think it's great! Love it- it hasnt ever failed me, and is still going great! For the price of $350 odd, I'd recommend it :-)

seniorbones, Jan 13, 9:10am
I've said it before but I love repeating myself so hope I dont bore you...I LOVE LOVE LOVE my kitchen aide and so glad I waited and saved up the extra to get it, just about every programme cooking and otherwise 99% of the time kitchenaid is used.I still havent made the saussies Pam but will be this weekend I'm going to do the pork from Ruth Pretty's recipe.

seniorbones, Jan 13, 9:15am
and a good one too, if you buy something from Pam you wont be wanting to go anywhere else.

cookessentials, Jan 13, 9:59am
LOL, no I dont. The old Kenwoods are great, no question, the new ones however are not the same. I know the KitchenAid and have many a happy customer as well as using the brand myself. I find the comment about the baker interesting as I know a number of professional che's who use them and love them. Yes Kenwood has been around for years...actually since the 1940s, however, KitchenAid has been around for ninety one years. I like the fact that they are gear driven not belt driven, all metal construction and assembled by hand in the USA unlike Kenwood which has many a plastic part and is made in China, but hey, go for what suits you at the end of theday. What one person loves, another wont.

cookessentials, Jan 13, 10:01am
Also, old Kenwood parts wont fit the new models, whereas old origianl KitchenAid parts will still fit the new ones.

elliehen, Jan 13, 10:10am
Off-topic, but cookessentials, don't forget to take your mosquito repellant ;)

blt10, Jan 13, 6:52pm
The link is that a kiwi site Cooksess, sorry it seems my pc is slow hitting that link to check for myself. A great price to.

lilyfield, Jan 10, 5:51am
Kenwood. Looks are unimportant. Its a gadget!

porsh_a, Jan 10, 5:56am
I have a Kenwood Chef KM300 . which I bought about 4 years ago - and I've found it very reliable and has done a good job on the things I make.Maybe could be a bit quieter, but that's the only down side I've found.

My Mum has had her Kenwood for 40 years and it is still going strong too :)

cookessentials, Jan 10, 6:03am
It's certainly not a gadget! At the end of the day, it isyour budget and how much use it will get.
I wouldnt have either to be honest. KitchenAid is the only way to go. Hand assembled, all metal construction , made in the USAand has been around far longer than Kenwood (91 years to be exact) Is Gear driven , not belt driven.Mixes to 67 points of the bowl ( meaning thorough mixing) as opposed to about eleven with it's competitors.
Used by professional che'fs and home cooks alike.
If you like retro, then it's shape has not really changed. It comes in 20 colours ( if that is important to you) and in fact, Breville AND Kenwood have tried to copy the shape and colours, but they dont even come close. This is what it looks like
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd!/#/product/KSM150PSER/

245sam, Jan 10, 6:26am
I have a Kenwood Chef Excel - Electronic - KM210 which I have found is also very reliable and able to handle anything I've set it to do, including mixing a good sized Christmas cake mixture completely from start to finish.
Like porsh_a, I (or more correctly I think, my DH) would agree about "could be a bit quieter" but IMO, for a machine that's capable of handling the quantities such as the Christmas cake mixture there has to be a not-at-all silent motor with a good amount of'grunt'.
:-))

ant_sonja, Jan 10, 6:37am
I love my KitchenAid! Used to have a kenwood but I'm finding the kitchenAid is so much better - plus I got it in the colour I needed to match my kitchen lol

crayonstory, Jan 10, 7:15am
Cookessentials - I am currently trying to decide between a kenwood anda kitchenaid.I love the look of the kitchenaid!But it seems available attachments in NZ are pretty limited.My partner is likely to go to the US this year - could he buy additional compatible attachments there ok!

mt-deap, Jan 10, 8:11am
I had a very bad run with my Sunbeam mixmaster, it broke its drive shaft 3 times (doing very light mixing!).One repair took over 3 months for it to come back, because of waiting for parts to come in from overseas.I won't go near Sunbeam ones again, they were not nice to deal with, thankfully the shop I purchased it from stood up for me, I have a Kenwood now.

However I did like the way the Sunbeam mixed things and you can always get a lemon in any brand.

gildon, Jan 10, 8:13am
My Kenwood Chef is about 50 years old.It was my mother's which she used when they were living on a farm.I have used it constantly for about 40 years.It is wonderful!Does everything from wedding cakes to pavlova.Had one minor repair several years ago.Still going strong!