Cultural Potluck dinner

Page 2 / 2
lurtz, Feb 28, 9:57pm
Love it! Welcome back elliehen.

sarahb5, Feb 28, 10:02pm
Because at the time they were also sold in our local supermarkets and made by a local pie maker who may have come from England many generations ago but probably long before tinned spaghetti had been invented or considered as a pie filling

sarahb5, Feb 28, 10:03pm
Or not .

biblia, Feb 28, 11:59pm
Actually, tinned spaghetti in a pie crust topped with 'tasty' cheese was genuinely what passed for pizza in NZ 40 years ago. 'Real' pizza barely existed. The whole modern cafe culture simply didn't exist.

daleaway, Mar 1, 12:23am
Not true.
We had a pizza tray(with holes in the bottom) in the 1950s, and pizzas were a regular occurrence in my schoolfriends' families as well. I never saw any with spaghetti. Lots of bacon and tomato and onion, sometimes pineapple, and always tasty cheese of course. Sometimes other things as well, such as olives.
Yes, I said 1950s. Of course this was Wellington, it may have been different in provincial places and Auckland.

No, cafe culture did not exist but coffee bar culture certainly did, and they were very similar. I miss the wonderful thick New Zealand apricot juice you could get in all the coffee bars then. Where has it gone!

rainrain1, Mar 1, 12:39am
Immediately Sweeny Todd comes to mind

rainrain1, Mar 1, 12:39am
surprise surprise!

elliehen, Mar 1, 12:47am
rainrain, I've often wondered if you were a twin.rain rain, surprise surprise.perhaps an identical twinnie!

elliehen, Mar 1, 12:52am
Thank you, lurtz :)

During the month-long unplanned break I read widely on the Travel messageboard, dreaming about my next REAL holiday.I couldn't help wondering how posters on the Travel messageboard would react if questions were answered like this, as sometimes happens here in Recipes:

Poster #1: Can anyone please recommend a good hotel in Melbourne!

Poster #2: You don't want to go to Melbourne, go to Wagga Wagga.

Poster #1: But I want to go to Melbourne.Please, anyone else!

Poster #2:Melbourne's bad for you; you're deluded, misinformed, ignorant.Read the latest links on Mark's Mealy Apple.

Poster #1: [now desperate] Melbourne!Please.A hotel in Melbourne!

Poster #2: It must be an English thing to want to go to Melbourne. Don't even go to Wagga Wagga. Stay home. That will be best for you.

rainrain1, Mar 1, 1:14am
You will have been chafing at the bit eh elliehen, so I'll forgive you just this once:-))Note the double smile just for you

samanya, Mar 1, 3:25am
B. Brilliant

eta,great to see you back

sarahb5, Mar 1, 4:04am
Huh!I must've missed something here - it was actually someone else who suggested spaghetti on toast for a cultural potluck dinner.I merely mentioned the "pizza pie" as when we moved here we just assumed it was a Kiwi thing as we'd never seen or heard of it before.Pizza in Europe was pizza as we know it today - no spaghetti and no pie crust .

rainrain1, Mar 1, 4:15am
:-)can't be bothered going on about it any more.

elliehen, Mar 1, 4:17am
rainrain, thank you :-))

Horse was really in the news while I was away, with the discovery of horse-burgers and horse lasagne and horse pies in Europe.Next new thing could be horse nuggets.

nfh1, Mar 1, 4:20am
I so missed you!

rainrain1, Mar 1, 4:25am
Repitition elliehen.Quins in the family!Yes horseburgers are all the go, personally I see nothing wrong with eating our equine friends, but I wouldn't want to.

52many, Mar 1, 5:21am
Haggis!

uli, Mar 1, 7:16am
Ummm . :)
Really!

sarahb5, Mar 1, 7:36am
Yeah really - it's not all sauerkraut and dumplings as you should well know .