Cultural Potluck dinner

Page 1 / 2
leisap, Feb 28, 4:25am
I was wanting some easy dishes to take,already have the standards like american hotdogs,springrolls and samoasas,nachos,pizza.I want something that nobody else will think of whether it be finger foods or not

davidt4, Feb 28, 5:33am
Dolmades (stuffed vine leaves)

leisap, Feb 28, 5:40am
interesting

sarahb5, Feb 28, 5:57am
Any particular culture in mind!What about scones with jam and cream or mini toad in the holes!French onion soup!

leisap, Feb 28, 7:17am
hadnt thought of any specific culture just wanted ideas.ta for them

duckmoon, Feb 28, 8:12am
When I am asked for my cultural dish, I head to Devon and Cornwall,
Cornish pastie or Devonshire tea

wendalls, Feb 28, 8:13am
is sushi too common! Tortilla cups instead of nachos with the filling in! Spicy chicken mince filling instead! Maori bread, Turkish bread or whateva with oil and dukkah!

cheapmike, Feb 28, 8:28am
mini toad in the holes sounds about right for my cricket court session Sarahb5. Thinking maybe made like a pie or small muffin tin. Do you have a recipe! Great idea :-)

uli, Feb 28, 8:41am
Could be anything really from Turkish to American to even NZ (spaghetti on toast!)

sarahb5, Feb 28, 8:46am
Yes - yorkshire pudding batter in a muffin tin with a cocktail sausage in them - Jo Seagar has a recipe in one of her books

sarahb5, Feb 28, 8:47am
How is spaghetti on toast a NZ dish!They do have tinned spaghetti (and toast) in other countries you know!Spaghetti pie seems to be a NZ "invention" though

cheapmike, Feb 28, 9:18am
cheers the team will like them I reckon.

lemming2, Feb 28, 9:56am
I don't know what it's called: Philippinas have one name, Indians another, apparently it's highly international.
A dessert: grated cassava (can be bought grated in Asian shops, and yellow is sweeter than white). Mix with sweetened condensed milk, add coconut milk to a soft consistency, (my friends are completely unable to give me quantities!) and bake about 45 minutes in a roasting dish; alternatively make parcels in foil and bake. (The Philippinas use banana leaves in the Philippines, but foil here). Oh, gods, it's gorgeous.
Sweet, sticky, and doesn't get the Heart Foundation Tick!
I know, because I'm a Coronary Care Nurse, and we have this sometimes for our shared suppers at work . naughty, naughty.

nik12, Feb 28, 10:35am
How bout kiwi, roast meat sammies. Pav. or even cheeserolls lol

rainrain1, Feb 28, 3:01pm
Spaghetti pie!Did you invent it for us!Never ever heard of that one

rainrain1, Feb 28, 3:05pm
Go armed with a leg of cooked lamb and mint jelly

toadfish, Feb 28, 4:31pm
Mexican - Get a packet of the round corn chips - take out all the perfect rounds - (eat the broken lol) add a dollop of salsa and some grated cheese and bake on a tray. Individual mouthfuls of loveliness. lol

leisap, Feb 28, 7:17pm
thanks everyone,I think Ive got plenty to work on now.

sarahb5, Feb 28, 7:45pm
It was a pie that was sold at kindy with the other fundraising pies - a pastry shell filled with tinned spaghetti and topped with cheese.It may actually have been called pizza pie - my kids loved them but now make their own in bread cases.This was when we first arrived in the country so 17 years ago now - never seen them before then.

rainrain1, Feb 28, 8:05pm
A kindy fundraiser made it a kiwi thing!:-)))How do you know it wasn't made by a sweet little english yummy mummy import

pickles7, Feb 28, 8:25pm
Kiwi 'N' Kurry

elliehen, Feb 28, 8:26pm
.or even a German sailor ;)

elliehen, Feb 28, 8:29pm
I've got an authentic recipe for "Pukaki Stew" in one of my early New Zealand cookbooks.properlyknown as "Pukeko Stew".

mopsy3, Feb 28, 8:50pm
That's what my Mum makes Sarah, she calls it pizza pie and adds bacon and tomato to the top of the cheese.

rainrain1, Feb 28, 9:10pm
Probably some equally pretty (no, she would be naturally prettier) kiwi yummy mummy, improvising from her somewhat islolated rural or urban kitchen, who wanted to help out with the fundraiser.It's called kiwi ingenuity!DIYLove it