Making quince jelly-help needed

korbo, Apr 26, 9:07am
I have boiled up the quinces and now have the bag hanging up.
tomorrow when i make the jelly, do i put the lemon juice in first or at the end of the cooking.
Also, I would like to make some of the jelly really firm, like so i can put some in small plastic square containers (stored in frideg) to use when having cheese and crackers. I have done this before, but have completly forgot how it did it.
Also, would you use the king jam setting mix when making jelly. ? ?
thanks if anyone is an expert on jelly making.

margyr, Apr 26, 7:01pm
hi korbo, my sister made some the other week, 1 cup sugar to 1 cup juice, she said it needed to be boiled for ages a couple of hours and then all of a sudden it turned a lovely deep red colour and set hard as. Her first attempt she just did like making a jam and it did not set properly, so she asked a lady at the market about setting mix and the lady just told her to boil it longer. Cant help about the lemon juice though as she did not mention that.

margyr, Apr 26, 7:05pm
heres one from another thread. 1kg (about 2) fresh quinces, chopped
1. 5 litres (6 cups) water
5 cups sugar, approximately
160ml (2/3 cup) lemon juice, strained
60ml (¼ cup) brandy

Combine quinces and water in large pan, simmer, covered, about 1½ hours or until quinces are very soft. Strain mixture through fine cloth. Allow liquid to drip through cloth slowly several hours or overnight, do not squeeze cloth; discard quince pulp.

Measure liquid, allow 220g (1 cup) sugar to each cup of liquid. Return liquid to pan with sugar, stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. Stir in juice, boil, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until jelly sets when tested. Remove from heat, stir in brandy. Allow bubbles to subside, pour into hot sterilised jars; seal while hot
Quote cookessentials (1005 )7:09 am, Mon 19 Apr #2

cookessentials, Apr 26, 7:05pm
1kg (about 2) fresh quinces, chopped
1. 5 litres (6 cups) water
5 cups sugar, approximately
160ml (2/3 cup) lemon juice, strained
60ml (¼ cup) brandy

Combine quinces and water in large pan, simmer, covered, about 1½ hours or until quinces are very soft. Strain mixture through fine cloth. Allow liquid to drip through cloth slowly several hours or overnight, do not squeeze cloth; discard quince pulp.

Measure liquid, allow 220g (1 cup) sugar to each cup of liquid. Return liquid to pan with sugar, stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. Stir in juice, boil, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until jelly sets when tested. Remove from heat, stir in brandy. Allow bubbles to subside, pour into hot sterilised jars; seal while hot.

cookessentials, Apr 26, 7:10pm
Haa snap!

margyr, Apr 26, 7:12pm
ah yes, hope you dont mind that i copied and pasted from the other thread your recipe.

griffo4, Apr 26, 9:48pm
l make my jelly by bringing the juice to the boil and let it boil for 5 minutes then add the sugar and for some reason it sets really quickly and firm
Quince paste l did in the crockpot and it came out good mind you l left the first lot too long and burnt it because l was waiting for it to get to the real thick stage but you don't seem to need to with the crockpot
The web site l got it off was one someone else kindly posted on here
and it was called "restisnotidleness" and it is alot easier than standing round watching the pot on the stove and trying to not get burnt

indy95, Apr 27, 4:01am
Korbo, you may like to try this recipe for quince paste to have with cheese and crackers. I see you said you wanted to use some of your quinces to try this.

1. 5 kg quinces, washed
Water
Sugar

Chop up the fruit without peeling or coring, put in large pan and just cover with water. Simmer gently until the fruit is really soft.

Push the pulp through a sieve, then measure the puree. Add 500g sugar for each 600 ml of puree. Heat gently stirring until the sugar has completely dissolved, then boil gently, stirring often for about 30 or 40 minutes until the mixture is thick enough for a wooden spoon to leave a clear line through it when pushed across the base of the pan.

Put into sterilised containers and cover as usual.

Edited to say you could add some lemon juice to this if you wanted to.

cookessentials, Apr 27, 6:46am
How did it go korbo?

korbo, Apr 27, 9:24am
thanks for the different versions.
I had an unexpected visitor from outta town, and didnt get around to making it till late arvo.
I used 2kg of quinces, skins, pips the whole lot... 14cups of water. From that I got 5 cups juice.
Bought that to a rolling boil, added the sugar, stirred a few times, and then let that roll boil for about 40mins. Tested a little bit, wasnt quite skin on top, did another bit and then the phone rang, couldnt get away from caller, and by that time it was ready. put into the jars, and by the time i finished the last lot was setting in the pot.
so, had a small square plastic container, poured into there, and I now can stand that upside down and it wont fall out. talk about a good set... . only wished i had done more like that. the ones in the jars seem really solid. I did squeeze 1/2 a lemon about 10mins before testing. I am very happy with the results.
By having it set firm like that, it could be used (if i did more in square things), for with cheese/crackers/wine... yummy. . -

korbo, Apr 27, 9:28am
for those that don't know of me, i have been asking a lot of **possible** questions that seem small, BUT 16months ago, i was in an induced coma for 3 weeks, due to an operation, and I now find that my *thinking* or *decision* making is a little vague at times. So please help/bare with me if i ask basic questions.
Jelly making was just a good example, yesterday i had vagueness, today it all came back.
thanks.

kitj1, Apr 27, 10:25am
Great to see youve had some success Korbo! I followed a recipe similar to #9 a few weeks ago and made quince cheese which when poured into a shallow tray sets and is then wrapped in muslin and newspaper for up o a month then cut into blocks. Have previouslyhad to resort to reboiling or renamingbatches! LOL! Just a warning thou... still have a nasty wee burn in the corner of my eye where the boiling sugar fruit mix got me. Ouch. Two more weeks then I will open up my block of cheese... . bit of a thrill cos its made from my trees first crop... . all 7 fruit!

margyr, Apr 27, 7:58pm
Well done korbo, i will have to tell my sister about putting it into small square trays, sounds yummy, would be great with some cheese and crackers, and of course a nice glass or two of wine.

korbo, Mar 13, 2:54am
margyr, you have to be careful when putting into small plastic, as if the jelly is still too hot, it will *wrinkle*the plastic.
tricky to get it right, and not end up setting in the pot... ... good luck. i think i will have to make some more, as my hubby seems to love it on his toast, well one could say jelly with toast... . lol...