Quince jelly

korbo, Apr 18, 6:55pm
having a little memory block, for quince jelly, is it just all quinces or do i add apples as well.
Is the procedure, chop up quinces, skins and all, COVER with water and boil until fruit is really soft. help please.

cookessentials, Apr 18, 7:09pm
1kg (about 2) fresh quinces, chopped
1. 5 litres (6 cups) water
5 cups sugar, approximately
160ml (2/3 cup) lemon juice, strained
60ml (¼ cup) brandy

Combine quinces and water in large pan, simmer, covered, about 1½ hours or until quinces are very soft. Strain mixture through fine cloth. Allow liquid to drip through cloth slowly several hours or overnight, do not squeeze cloth; discard quince pulp.

Measure liquid, allow 220g (1 cup) sugar to each cup of liquid. Return liquid to pan with sugar, stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. Stir in juice, boil, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until jelly sets when tested. Remove from heat, stir in brandy. Allow bubbles to subside, pour into hot sterilised jars; seal while hot

amazing_grace, Apr 18, 7:44pm
Jeepers, I do something a little more simple myself. Chop up quinces, no need to peel or anything. Cook in water to cover till the are mushy. Strain through a cloth. For each cup of liquid add 1 cup of white sugar. Boil quickly testing as for jam (put a little on a saucer, let it cool, when you push with your finger there should be a fine skin on top that wrinkles as you push). Jar up into steralised jars. I've made some already, a beautiful jewel guava colour. Check out my blog tonight, as I will be posting pix then. www.gardeningincromwell. blogspot.com

margyr, Apr 18, 8:32pm
my sister made some, boiled the fruit then tied it up in a muslim bag overnight above a bowl to get the juice, then 1 cup sugar to 1 cup juice, her first lot did not set properly and was not a nice colour, any way she had not boiled it long enough, apparently you boil and stir and then all of a sudden hey presto the lovely red colour comes, this is when you bottle it. she said it boiled for about about 2 hours.

griffo4, Apr 18, 11:05pm
l chopc up and cover with water and boil until mushy then put through jelly bag overnight then next day l measure the liquid and put it in a pot and boil for 5 minutes then add sugar and then bring back to boil and test after 10 minutes or when it gets really frothy on top and mine always sets well.
l think the boil 5 minutes first was from a recipe in an old Edmonds cook book but not sure but it is a lovely colour and taste

cookessentials, Feb 13, 3:18pm
MUSLIM BAG?