My Quince Jelly won't set

joyce123, Apr 18, 1:43am
Could someone please help me it's the first time ever my quince jelly hasn't set.I boiled it for well over half an hour, it's a rich red colour and I thought my set test on a saucer had it looking good.It's all bottled and this morning went to check on it and it's not set at all!Should i put back into the pan and boil some more or should I add more sugar - not sure what to do.I'd be grateful for any help.

cgvl, Apr 18, 1:51am
did you add lemon juice or pectin to it? how much sugar did you add .. for a good set you need to add cup for cup (1cup liquid to 1 cup sugar)
lemon juice you would need the juice of 1-2 lemons
King jam setting mix will help
or
if you used less sugar there is a jam setting sugar that will help.

joyce123, Apr 18, 2:03am
Hi cgvl - it's an old recipe i've used before and I've never added anything just sugar it's roughtly 1 1/4 cup of sugar to 1 of liquid.Do you think I should put it all back in the pot and add the lemon juice?

joyce123, Apr 18, 2:07am
sorry that should read for every 2 1/2 cups of liquid add 2 cups of sugar I don't thinkI've added enough sugar is that theway you would read it?

cgvl, Apr 18, 9:02am
sorry Joyce. I guess you may need to add extra sugar and lemon juice, maybe the quinces were riper than previously.

I have only ever done it cup for cup. and usually add a stalk of rhubarb and the lemon juice.
For some reason the rhubarb helps with the setting and you don't get the rhubarb taste.

poppy500, Apr 18, 10:02am
What colour is it? If it is cream/ only just pale pink it needs more time. Just be patient, and keep stirring. You will see it take on a deeper pink colour as it gets nerer the setting point.
I usally get impatient at this time and multitask but don't be tempted otherise it will stick.