Quince Jelly recipe please

dibble35, Apr 23, 6:25am
Hi, am going to attempt to make quince jelly when the fruit are ready, i've never made jam or jelly before so would love an easy recipe please. and having read the Edmonds cookbooks small section on making jellies i'll need a jelly bag - what is this made of, how big, hows it used etc, TIA

elliehen, Apr 23, 6:36am
If you do use the Edmonds recipe, you can use several different things for a jelly bag:an old threadbare teatowel or pantyhose.One way to suspend the jellybag is to tie it to a broom handle and prop it over a bowl in the bath, another is to suspend it from the spindle crossbar of an upturned chair or stool, with the bowl underneath.

elliehen, Apr 23, 6:40am
If you have broadband and can watch YouTube, here's a video on how to make quince jelly.I haven't watched it - just did a quick search - but there are others there too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=GGx_KCrZMxM

dibble35, Apr 23, 6:40am
thanks ellie, so with the above recipe you end up with the nice clear jelly without any straining required. sounds like my kind of recipe Thanks

bedazzledjewels, Apr 23, 6:43am
Here are some recipes for quince jam and jelly on Allyson Gofton's site -

http://www.ecook.co.nz/recipefinder!pi_categoryid=&ps_search=quince&x=30&y=15

elliehen, Apr 23, 6:48am
I haven't tried the no-straining one myself.I have no problems with the straining.In fact, it's quite restful having an interval between the cooking of the quinces and the final cooking with the sugar.Remember to leave all the pips, skins and cores in the first cooking, just cutting out and discarding bad spots.

Good luck!I always add lemon juice to mine about halfway through.If you boil it too long, it will be bright red and quite firm, but don't worry because you can use it like quince paste with cheese and crackers and it will still melt on your toast :)

dibble35, Apr 23, 6:57am
yum. that youtube clip has me drooling. looks reasonably easy. Might try the edmonds recipe. is that the one you use ellie! and how much lemon juice do you add!, and do you mean 1/2 way thru the 2nd bit where you've added the sugar! Thanks
Thanks for the link bedazzled some yummysounding stuff on there.

elliehen, Apr 23, 7:17am
Yes, I just use the Edmonds 'General Recipe' for jelly-making.My Edmonds book is the 1976 edition and the recipe is on page 135.

Basically, it's just gently cook the fruit till soft, put it in a jelly-bag (teatowel etc) over a bowl and then next day you'll have a thick syrupy liquid with the now dryish fruit left in the bag.

Measure your juice in cups and then put into a pan to bring to boil and boil rapidly for five minutes.Then add 1 cup of sugar per cup of juice, stir to dissolve and and cook rapidly until you test in a chilled saucer.I add about 2 Tbspn lemon juice after about ten minutes cooking.

Jelly usually takes anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes.To test whether it will set, put a little on a chilled saucer.When you tip the saucer and it slides slowly across with deep 'wrinkles', it's ready to put into jars.

Some people like to use a thermometer.

shanf1, Apr 23, 7:38am
hello.I made 3 batches of Quince jelly following the recipe that supamom has kindly given.I did not strain through a bag at all.
l, just used the juice and put it through the seivefrom the pot and boiled the juice with the sugar and juice of lemon.It set well and the colour is so red.The pulp I put throught the whizz and have frozen some and used it with icecream etc.Very creamy. Nothing was wasted.

cgvl, Apr 23, 8:50am
I have just made 6litres of Quince jelly.
Wash your quinces to get the fur off, don't worry about spots.
I cut mine in half but you don't need to.
Put the quinces (don't worry about how many you have) in your preserving pan or large pot, cover with water.
Bring to the boil, Turn down and simmer until fruit is soft and mushy.
Do not mash.
Line a colander or sieve with either a tea towel or pillowcase or muslin or muttoncloth. Carefully pour the juice through and let the fruit sit in the colander to drain. (I didn't bother this time as I managed to get all the juice into drainer).
Once drained, carefully remove the pulp without being tempted to squeeze the pulp. (If you do so it may cloud the final product).
Return the liquid to your preserving pan , be sure to measure it.
Bring back to boil and carefully add the same amount of sugar as you had liquid. ie its normally 1 cup liquid to 1 cup sugar.
Keep it at a rolling boil (fast simmer) add the juice of 1 lemon to help with set or use pectin.
Check for setting. Bottle while hot into hot sterilised jars and seal.

m41, Apr 23, 9:39am
did the cooking segment on breakfast or maybe good morning last week have someone make quince jelly that was from otago ! was really deep pink in colour .

elliehen, Apr 23, 9:57am

dibble35, Apr 23, 10:52pm
Thanks for all those recipes, i've copied them and pasted into my rapidly increasing recipe folder. Slowly going thru and trying all the recipes that i've saved and if i like them hard copy them into my recipe book that i've had for years.