Heaps of tomatoes what to do?

tarankyle, Feb 11, 6:43am
I have heaps of tomatoes commint through at the moment & am collecting just under a bucket full every 3 days. Normal, cherry & acid free. Now I am moving house in 3 weeks but would love to do somthing with these tomatoes that I can freeze & take with me. Any quick easy to make ideas, as I do not have much spare time with getting ready to move. Thanks in advance :-)

threecheers, Feb 11, 7:07am
NO RULES OR MEASUREMENT TOMATOES
Line baking tray with baking paper. Oven @225.
A layer of basil. Some parsley is also a nice addition. Slice or dice the tomatoes any way you want as many as you want for second layer.
Following measurements are approximate. Use what suits you.
(1 or 2 TLBS raw sugar or brown sugar or white sugar;1 tsp salt; some pepper, 1 TLBS balsamic vinegar; 2 TLBS sweet chili sauce.)Mix together and sprinkle over tomatoes. Bake uncovered approximately one hour. You can then freeze. Good on pasta, as a bread topping or to add to soups. Be brave & experiment.
Another alternative is chuck whole tomatoes into freezer bags and freeze. Great in the winter to add to soup/stew.

uli, Feb 11, 7:54am
Alison Holst's FRESH TOMATO SOUP
1-1•5 Kg ripe red tomatoes
1 slice white or brown bread or a bread crust
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp each of dried basil and dried oregano
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion, chopped
about 2 tsp wine vinegar
Optional: parsley, bay leaf, thyme.

Put the tomatoes into a large microwave casserole, halving large ones. Break the bread into small pieces and add it to the .tomatoes. Sprinkle with the salt, sugar, basil, and oregano, replacing the dried herbs with fresh ones if you have them. Add the chopped garlic and onions, and small quantities of other herbs you have. Cover the microwave dish, and cook until tender and mushy. Cook at HIGH power for about 10 minutes, then lower the power to 50% if you think the mixture may boil over, and cook for 10 minutes longer - if there is no danger of overflow, leave it on high power. Break up the mixture with a potato masher, leave to stand for about 5 minutes, then shake and press through a coarse sieve (I use the food processor and don’t sieve it – depends how smooth you like it or if it’s to be served as juice). Add the vinegar, tasting after 1 spoonful is mixed in. Cover and chill in the refrigerator, adjust seasonings if necessary.
If serving as JUICE pour into glasses over ice. Add a dash of hot pepper sauce or Worcestershire sauce to each glass, and put a stirring stick of celery in each glass if you like.
If serving as a COLD SOUP, pour into individual bowls just before serving. Serve like this, or pass bowls containing crisp croutons, diced celery, diced peppers, cubed tomatoes, cubed avocado, chopped cucumbers, etc.
If serving as HOT SOUP, stir in parsley or chives if desired, or stir in as much cream, crème fraiche, or sour cream as you like, making cream of tomato soup. Serve with croutons, if desired.
Note: If cooking this soup on the stove-top add the bread once the tomatoes are cooked until tender.

Hope that helps. :-))
from 245sam

uli, Feb 11, 7:55am
Pininoa Tommy Sauce

1 kg tomatoes
1 cup sugar
1/2 Tab Salt
small tsp ground all spice
1 cup vinegar

simmer till thickish then whizz & bottle

Also tried another with apples, onions but can't find that recipe right now.

from kirmag

uli, Feb 11, 7:56am
Oven-dried tomatoes. Use small tomatoes and halve across the equator. Place cut side up on an oven tray, sprinkle with dried oregano, chopped garlic, chopped chilli and salt. Trickle extra virgin olive oil over liberally. Bake for about three hours at 140 C. Store in the fridge for a few weeks, or freeze. Serve as part of an antipasto, add to casseroles, add to vege dishes.
from davidt4

uli, Feb 11, 8:03am
Tomato Jam A while back someone mentioned Tomato Jam recipe. Not sure if has been posted but here is one I make. Peter Gordons Tomato and Chilli Jam

. 500grm very ripe tomatoes (I use a couple of cheap tins); 4 red chillis (I use a tsp out of a jar!); 6cm piece ginger chopped (I use out of jar); 30mls asian fish sauce; 300grm demera sugar; 100mls red wine vinegar. Cook for about 40 mins or until thick and syrupy. Pour into sterilised warm jars. Makes about 4 jars. Nice on crackers with cream cheese or cheese. Enjoy

nettie14

uli, Feb 11, 8:04am
Tomato Vinaigrette
1 clove garlic 1 tsp ground cumin
1 cup seeded tomato, in chunks 1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil 2 TLBS vinegar
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper 1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Shake it all together.
This was originally from a barley salad recipe that used 2 cups cooked barley, a capsicum, a bunch of radishes, a small red onion, 1 cup celery, 1cup carrot, (or zucchini or fennel), all veggies to be diced. 1/4 c fresh coriander or parsley.
It's very yummy so I just use it on green salad.
from threecheers

uli, Feb 11, 8:04am
I have used this recipe before,
however I used 200g of sugar rather than a kilogram.

http://www.allysongofton.co.nz/recipe/Mums-Tomato-Sauce/!r=2433

uli, Feb 11, 8:05am
Tomato Kasundi::

4 tbs peanut oil - or other vegetable oil (not olive)
2 tbs black mustard seed
2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbs ground cumin
2 tsp chilli powder,,Use 1 as 2 may be a little hot for some.
1 tbs minced garlic (fresh)
2 tbs minced ginger (fresh)
6 fresh green chillies or 2 large reds chopped fine. seeds removed(optional)
2 kg ripe tomatoes,or 5 400gm cans of chopped/blended bits.
1 tbs salt, approx.
300 ml malt vinegar
250g brown sugar.

Heat oil in a heavy based pan and add mustard, turmeric, cumin and chilli powder.
Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes, being careful not to burn spices.
Add minced garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for a further five minutes.
Add tomatoes, salt, vinegar and sugar, reduce heat to low and simmer for 60-90 minutes, stirring occasionally (more like often ) until sauce thickens and oil comes to the top. Keep an eye on it as it can burn fairly easily.
Remove from heat and store in sterilized jars. Makes about 4 large jars.

If you use the canned tomatoes drain about half the liquid from the cans,,doesn't take as long to reduce,,you can always add a bit if it seems to be drying out a bit quick,,Should end up the consistency of thickish relish.

from helpless

uli, Feb 11, 8:06am
Roast tomato sauce by Annabel Laingbein.
Tomatoes, 2 onions, 4 cloves garlic peeled, OR good teasp crushed garlic, OR 1/2 teasp chilli powder, teasp rosemary leaves, 1/4 cup tomato paste, 2 tablesp sugar, 2 tablesp oil, gr black pepper, salt.
Cut tomatoes into wedges, skins on lay in a large roasting dish 1 layer only, do 2 dishes if you have to, ( you want them to caramelise not stew) cut onion into wedges put 1 in each tray.
In a bowl mix rosemary,sugar,oil,garlic,salt-
-
,pepper,sugar, tomato paste etc together and toss each tray of tomatoes in some bake 160c about 2 hrs till tomatoes are caramilised. Put all into a blender even all the juices, blend till its thick and smooth ( i just use a stick blender) pour into snaplock bags and freeze flat, so it dosen't take up to much room. This makes a nice rich flavour sauce, to use with whatever you choose through winter.

from fifie

uli, Feb 11, 8:06am
This is the tomato sauce I make and have done for a few years now:

http://www.allysongofton.co.nz/recipe/Mums-Tomato-Sauce/!r=2

I do cut the sugar down a little and it is delicious!

from wachael1

uli, Feb 11, 8:07am
This is my current favourite chutney recipe.
1kg tomatoes
275g cooking apples
100g onions
300mls white vinegar
100g seedless raisins
2 tspns sea salt
1/2 tspn of ground allspice, cayenne pepper, ground cinnamon. ground ginger, paprika
225 g white sugar
Scald, peel & chop tomatoes. Peel core & chop apples & onions
Put all ingredients except the sugar into a stainless steel pan with half the vinegar & gently bring to the boil.
Cook slowly for approx 1 -1 1/2 hours. Add the sugar & the remaining vinegar & once again bring to the boil stirring constantly. Simmer until thick & smooth. Pot & seal.

from samanya

uli, Feb 11, 8:08am
Green (unripe) Tomato Chutney

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
1kg green tomatoes, chopped
1kg Granny Smith apples, chopped
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar

Heat oil in a medium sized heavy based saucepan. Add onion and cook until soft. Add ginger and cook for 1 minute.

Add remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until a jam like consistency.

Pour into sterilised jars

from cookessentials

uli, Feb 11, 8:09am
I make this Tomato Soup every year for the freezer. I also use the soup concentrate for pasta bases:
7lb Toms, 4 med onions, 6 sprigs parsley, 6 sticks celery & tops, 1 cup sugar 1/4lb butter, 1 1/2 tab salt, 3 cloves or 1 tsp ground cloves, 4 tab flour.
Place toms onions parsley celery in pan, simmer until tender, put through mouli. Melt butter in pan remove from heat add flour stirring well, add tomato pulp slowly stirring all the time boil for 5 minutes. Freeze in pottles. When required add equal quantity of milk or water when heating. Enjoy!

from denbru

uli, Feb 11, 8:10am
Tomato Relish

Traditional relish recipe, tomatoes, onions, curry powder, malt vinegar

Ingredients

1.5 kg tomatoes, blanched, skinned and quartered

4 onions, quartered

2 tablespoons salt

2 cups brown sugar

2 & 1/4 cups DYC malt vinegar

3 chillies

1 tablespoon dry mustard

1 tablespoon curry powder

2 tablespoons Edmonds plain baking flour

1/4 cup DYC malt vinegar

Instructions
Put tomatoes and onions into a non-metallic bowl. Sprinkle with salt and leave for 12 hours. Drain off liquid formed. Put vegetables, sugar, first measure of vinegar and chillies into a preserving pan. Boil gently for 1 & 1/2 hours, stirring frequently. Mix mustard, curry, flour and second measure of vinegar to a smooth paste. Stir into relish. Boil for 5 minutes.

Pack into sterilised jars. Makes about 4 x 350ml jars

from resolutionx

uli, Feb 11, 8:11am
Make heaps of this every year put into bags and freeze, great for pasta,spaghetti bol, etc. I use a large dish, do it in a smaller batches, and roasting the tomatoes gives it good flavour.
http://www.annabel-langbein.com/cooking/recipes/recipe/!id=2

from fifie

lythande1, Feb 11, 7:04pm
You could freeze the tomatoes themselves and make things later.

tarankyle, Feb 11, 7:22pm
yeah I would like to know the answer to this to lolthanks for all the great recipes, I will have to decide on what one to do as they all sound yummy

rainrain1, Feb 11, 7:33pm
To freeze tomatoes, it would be better to stew them and freeze them in their juices. I think that way they would keep nicer frozen as opposed to freezing whole.