Butterflied chicken on BBQ

xtownie, Jan 2, 9:55pm
I'd like to try doing a butterflied chicken on BBQ please help me with cooking times, instructions and any yummy rub or marinade I could use. Thanks

245sam, Jan 3, 5:00am
xtownie, here's a recipe that you might like to try - I haven't personally tried it yet but it looked lovely when prepared on Good Morning:-

http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning/butterflied-herb-chicken-5043933

Hope that helps.:-))

245sam, Jan 3, 5:00am
xtownie, here's a recipe that you might like to try - I haven't personally tried it yet but it looked lovely when prepared on Good Morning:-

http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning/butterflied-herb-chicken-5043933

Hope that helps.:-))

Edited to add that the above recipe is oven cooked but could just as easily and successfully be barbecued.

bisloy, Jan 3, 10:49pm
Make sure you cut it on the breast side, not the back side - so the breast makes the 'butterfly' wing. Have heard that marinading the chicken in buttermilk makes it very tasty and tender. I love garlic, lemon and Sid's Smokey BBQ rub.

wron, Jan 5, 10:48pm
Hi bisloy, can you tell me why it is important to cut the breast side please! Have never done a butterfly but have bought several from the Mad Butcher. The buttermilk sounds interesting - got some for the nectarine muffins which keep being advertised in the Herald for that new cooking website.
Also where do you get hold of Sid's Smokey BBQ rub! Thanks.

sarahb5, Jan 5, 10:54pm
Sid is a local here in New Plymouth - he makes several delicious sauces, rubs, etc. and sells them at our local farmers market, craft shows and online as well I think.

I am also planning to butterfly a chicken for the BBQ tonight - will coat it with some sort of homemade peri peri seasoning for a few hours but I have no idea how long it will take to cook.At least doing it at home I can always whack it in the microwave to finish off if I don't think it's cooked properly - don't want to take any risks with undercooked chicken.

sarahb5, Jan 5, 10:54pm
Sid is a local here in New Plymouth - he makes several delicious sauces, rubs, etc. and sells them at our local farmers market, craft shows and online as well.http://sidssauce.co.nz/

I am also planning to butterfly a chicken for the BBQ tonight - will coat it with some sort of homemade peri peri seasoning for a few hours but I have no idea how long it will take to cook.At least doing it at home I can always whack it in the microwave to finish off if I don't think it's cooked properly - don't want to take any risks with undercooked chicken.

sarahb5, Jan 5, 10:59pm
That link above says to cut along the back bone and then press down on the breast side which is how I've always done mine in the paste - if you cut it the other way it doesn't butterfly out properly flat

davidt4, Jan 5, 11:03pm
I always cut out the backbone.That way the meat cooks evenly.I have never heard of cutting through the breastbone.

To cook a spatchcocked (butterflied) chicken on a barbecue takes about 45 minutes for a medium sized chicken.

malcovy, Jan 5, 11:07pm
We had butterflied chicken on the BBQ for Christmas day and I always cut either side of backbone.My son was cutting it down the breast until he saw me doing it and he prefers backbone way now.
We use two cake racks with the chicken between them and wired them together and put it on BBQ (a real one not gas) ;-). The chicken was finished off in the oven because my son faffed around too much.It was delicious.He made the marinade and all I remember is lemon juice and a chili con flavouring mix.

sarahb5, Jan 5, 11:10pm
Thanks for that - will go chop it up now and start the marinating process.

macwood2, Jan 6, 3:00am
Made the Annabel Langbein butterflied and brined chicken from her latest book yesterday.It was absolutely amazing.Best chicken we have ever had.Highly recommended.Visitors were on the phone at 9am this morning asking for the recipe.

wron, Jan 7, 2:23am
If you emailed it to them could you post on here please! I've got lots of Annabel's books but not her latest - yet!

wron, Jan 7, 2:43am
I've also printed off the Good morning recipe from Helen Jackson (thanks 245) and studied the Sid's sauces website - several I'd like so have emailed him asking if anyone stocks in Auckland - shame the posted prices don't include GST though.If nobody does I'll be ordering from the site.