Christmas Breakfast, need to take a plate.

bluebell21, Dec 8, 4:21am
I have no idea what to take as I have never been to a breakfast on Christmas morning. It has to be something I can make the day before and then be in the car for about 3 hours of travelling early on Christmas morning. I thought about a bacon and vege quiche, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated. also bearing in mind I'm not the worlds greatest cook :(

duckmoon, Dec 8, 4:29am
What about taking fruit for a platter.
Or croissants with ham and cheese and tomato

Salmon blinis with a drop of hollandaise sauce blobbed on top (a nod to breakfast food)

mumstu, Dec 8, 4:30am
I thought of the platter idea as well.Cut up some fruit and put on a platter (you could do this when you get to your destination) and take a bowl of yogurt etc.

shellz213, Dec 8, 4:36am
I went to a friend's for Christmas breakfast a few years back before I went on to the family.My contribution was bacon and egg vol a vonts (sorry I know I haven't spelt that right).Added some slow roasted cherry tomatoes (cooked in some olive oil with rock salt and some fresh herbs) to the top and then cooked.They were a hit!

carlosjackal, Dec 8, 5:42am
Ham, Cheese and Mushroom Croissants:

These are uber easy! I do these quite often for brunch and would be ideal for taking to a Christmas breakfast. They are a real hit with our friends and family. The Gruyere cheese is what makes these tasty croissants so incredibly delicious!

Pre-heat oven to 180'C

Slice open the croissants and spread with mustard.

In the following order, add:
A slice or two of gruyere cheese, a slice of ham spread with a little mustard, sliced mushroom and another slice of gruyere cheese.

Wrap eash filled croissant in a paper towel.

Place all wrapped croissants in the microwave (directly onto the glass microwave plate) and heat through on HI power for 2-4 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt.

Remove paper towels and transfer each croissant to the oven and cook for a few minutes until the croissants a crisp on the outside (by which time the cheese would be completely melted).

*** I have added sliced tomato before but it usually makes them too hot to enjoy so generally leave it out ***

mence, Dec 8, 7:58am
Or you could do baked egg thingees.New World cafe here used to sell these, they looked like a scrambled egg mixture with bacon added.They seemed to have been baked in muffin tins.Yummo lol.Probably worth trying out beforehand though ;)

gardie, Dec 8, 4:50pm
If you have silicon muffin tines, you can make little mini quiches but without the pastry.They just pop out of the tins once cooked.They are really light and easy to eat and sometimes just the thing for those who don't like too many carbohydrates.I've done these with bacon and also with salmon.When they are for special occasions, I add straight cream to the egg instead of adding milk as well.

kiwibubbles, Dec 8, 7:24pm
how about some spicy christmas muffins! have seen a few recipes for those recently, OR make a strawberry christmas tree. Ridiculously easy and looks fantastic! http://goodideasforyou.com/ideas-a-inspirations/christmas/christmas-delights.html (5th row from bottom, last picture on that row)

twindizzy, Dec 8, 7:31pm
+1 for Croissants

firemansgirl, Dec 8, 10:49pm
Awesome!

carlosjackal, Dec 9, 10:41pm
This is a very authentic recipe for Swiss Bircher Muesli and though you are wanting to take a plate, a bowl of this is another idea:

BIRCHERMUESLI:

170ml milk
135gm Rolled oats
85gm Honey
70gm Sultanas
70gm Hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
70gm Walnuts, chopped
85ml Fresh orange juice
135gm Peeled & grated apple
35ml Lemon juice
115ml Whipped cream

METHOD:
Dissolve honey in warm milk.
Add rolled oats
Leave to soak for 3 hours

Add all other ingredients
Fold in whipped cream before serving Muesli
Muesli may be thinned down with milk if consistency is too thick

carlosjackal, Dec 9, 10:41pm
This is a very authentic recipe for Swiss Bircher Muesli and though you are wanting to take a plate, a bowl of this is another idea:

BIRCHERMUESLI:

170ml milk
135gm Rolled oats
85gm Honey
70gm Sultanas
70gm Hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
70gm Walnuts, chopped
85ml Fresh orange juice
135gm Peeled & grated apple
35ml Lemon juice
115ml Whipped cream

METHOD:
Dissolve honey in warm milk.
Add rolled oats
Leave to soak for 3 hours

Add all other ingredients
Fold in whipped cream before serving Muesli
Muesli may be thinned down with milk if consistency is too thick.

Very nice to serve topped with raspberries or strawberries and extra nuts.

lythande1, Dec 10, 3:51am
Just take bacon. Everyone else will have all the fancy thingies, bacon is always appreciated.