Sponge Fingers

Page 2 / 2
cookiebarrel, Dec 9, 10:36am
Saw some in our local New World, actually two kinds, the ones they normally have and some thinner ones.Like others didn't bother with brand, just noticed them.

makespacenow, Dec 9, 10:38pm
Well it does depend. In Europe they come in all sort of shapes - small round for kids, finger ones for tiramissu they can be thin or thick. We also have chocolate ones.
Recipe will make a batch. You can store excess in plastic containers. I never counted them as as soon as they come out of the oven kids inhale them.
You will get more than there are in the packet.

malcovy, Dec 9, 11:07pm
And adding to post 28, home made are so much nicer than bought ones.

kuaka, Dec 10, 3:34am
And I was in the local Four Square today, and the packet weighed (I think) 175g (didn't have my specs with me and of course that's in small writing) and the brand name was Jeurgens.They were $3.59.

kuaka, Dec 22, 8:52am
Well I decided to try that recipe, but I can't say it was really a success.They turned out like thin strips of tasty rubber!The taste is there, but the texture certainly isn't, they didn't rise, they just spread and spread and spread.They sort of oozed in fact.Probably mixture was too moist, maybe should have added more flour.I was going to use them in a trifle, and might still do.I'll decide tomorrow.

makespacenow, Dec 22, 6:28pm
Hmmm will make some later again and take photos.
Maybe they were not baked long enough, or the egg whites were not stiff enough/overworked when folded into Yolk mix! My mum used this recipe to make them for us as toddlers and I am in my early 30s never failed

kuaka, Dec 22, 8:25pm
The egg whites were definitely stiff enough, but the mix seemed too soft, they had spread before they went into the oven.I probably should have scraped the mix off the tray and put it back in the bowl and added more flour.They taste fine, they look like strips of flat rubber.I just thought I would try the recipe as I wanted to make a trifle and thought I could use them just as easily as a sponge cake, but I'm thinking I will now have to make a sponge cake and use that.Never mind.I'll try this recipe again another day when I don't have so much to do.