Sponge With HUGE Eggs

donnabeth, Mar 17, 4:38am
I bought a tray of the biggest eggs I've ever seen, some are double yolkers. They must be bigger than size 8s.

I want to make two sponges, but the eggs are so big I'll have to adjust the quantities.

Can someone advise me how to increase the amount of sugar and flour to get the correct balance? I remember an elderly lady telling me once that all baking should be based on the weight of an egg, but I don't really know what that means.
Thanks for your help.

holly78, Mar 17, 5:50am
I used to make sponges using swan eggs which are equivalent to 4 hens eggs. I just used to adjust all the ingredients relative to if I was using 1 egg for example all ingredientsx4

donnabeth, Mar 17, 8:09am
Thanks holly78.

Maybe if I take the difference in weight I can adjust the dry ingredients proportionally. Makes me wish I paid attention in math class at school.

holly78, Mar 17, 5:56pm
I'm never that specific when I cookand generally don't actually weigh any ingredients. I estimate. I guess it's a bit risky doing it that way and I do have failures from time to time.I'll have a look through my pile of recipe books later today and compare some of the sponge recipes and see if I can find anything useful.Good luck.

fifie, Mar 17, 8:44pm
When i made sponges i always used large hen eggs, often double yokers didn't make much difference, always used the double yoker eggs in baking just treated them as one egg. Lucky you having a tray of big eggs, happy baking, have grandee visiting this weekend shes 10 loves to bake, we might just do a jelly sponge she'll love that and be intrigued as to how the jelly gets in between the sponges lol....

marywea, Mar 17, 9:24pm
Egg = 2oz, butter and sugar both 2oz and flour 4oz.Now I am not 100 % sure of this but it may jog someone else's memory.

dbab, Mar 17, 10:16pm
My Mum used duck eggs when we were kids. She didn't adjust anything else, but we had awesome sponge cakes.

donnabeth, Mar 18, 4:38am
I bought a tray of the biggest eggs I've ever seen, some are double yolkers. They must be bigger than size 8s.

I want to make two sponges, but the eggs are so big I'll have to adjust the quantities.

Can someone advise me how to increase the amount of sugar and flour to get the correct balance! I remember an elderly lady telling me once that all baking should be based on the weight of an egg, but I don't really know what that means.
Thanks for your help.

holly78, Mar 18, 5:56pm
I'm never that specific when I cookand generally don't actually weigh any ingredients. I estimate. I guess it's a bit risky doing it that way and I do have failures from time to time.I'll have a look through my pile of recipe books later today and compare some of the sponge recipes and see if I can find anything useful.Good luck.

fifie, Mar 18, 8:44pm
When i made sponges i always used large hen eggs, often double yokers didn't make much difference, always used the double yoker eggs in baking just treated them as one egg. Lucky you having a tray of big eggs, happy baking, have grandee visiting this weekend shes 10 loves to bake, we might just do a jelly sponge she'll love that and be intrigued as to how the jelly gets in between the sponges lol.

marywea, Mar 18, 9:24pm
Egg = 2oz, butter and sugar both 2oz and flour 4oz.Now I am not 100 % sure of this but it may jog someone else's memory.

dbab, Mar 18, 10:16pm
My Mum used duck eggs when we were kids. She didn't adjust anything else, but we had awesome sponge cakes.

leebee35, Mar 20, 9:14am
Yeah my Mum used swan eggs when I was a kid.... and Wow it was the biggest and best sponge I ever had for my birthday.

donnabeth, Mar 20, 8:22pm
Only four eggs left,

My love KenWood worked hard for me this weekend.

I added a little extra flour to make the mixture look more normal and it turned out well. I heard Alison Holst speak years and years ago and she said baking was an exact science and ingredients should be measured just so for success. Turns outthere's lots of leeway between "just fine" and "perfect"

happy baking everyone.

ferrit47, Mar 20, 10:19pm
Dont use as many eggs.

leebee35, Mar 21, 9:14am
Yeah my Mum used swan eggs when I was a kid. and Wow it was the biggest and best sponge I ever had for my birthday.

donnabeth, Mar 21, 8:22pm
Only four eggs left,

My love KenWood worked hard for me this weekend.

I added a little extra flour to make the mixture look more normal and it turned out well. I heard Alison Holst speak years and years ago and she said baking was an exact science and ingredients should be measured just so for success. Turns outthere's lots of leeway between "just fine" and "perfect"

happy baking everyone.