Cornflour box - Victoria sponge recipe

..pip.., Mar 27, 12:11am
I just wanted to come back and say the sponge was just magic and tasted exactly how I remembered it.

elliehen, Mar 27, 1:47am
I whisk up this old Fielder's recipe for any occasion.I do use caster sugar to make sure the sugar dissolves quickly, but that's not absolutely necessary.

Makes a great sponge roll too, as well as the Fielder's sandwich.

..pip.., Aug 26, 11:15pm
Does anyone have the original recipe that used to come of the back of the cornflour box!I know I can Google the recipe but want to see if I can get this recipe first.I have cornflour but it's Pams LOL so no recipe.

unknowndisorder, Aug 27, 1:46am
'Here's the famous Fielder's Classic Sponge recipe

3 eggs
pinch salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornflour
1 dsp flour
1 tsp baking powder

Separate eggs. Beat egg whites with salt till stiff. Add sugar very gradually and beat till stiff and sugar has dissolved. Add egg yolks. Beat till well blended.
Sift together cornflour, flour and BP and fold into mixture.
Pour into 2 sandwich tins which have been greased and bottom lined with greaseproof paper. Bake 190C 15-20 mins.'

Quote juliewn (2036 )6:38 pm, Sat 29 Jan #11

Also, do a search for fielders cornflour sponge recipe - got quite a lot of threads come up when I did this. I make the no fail sponge that someone posted, and it's just like how I remember sponges to be. We don't eat many cakes, and my husband thought when I made one that most would go to the birds. Don't think they even got a crumb.

..pip.., Aug 27, 3:46am
Thanks so much for this.I couldn't remember who made the cornflour so my Google searches hadn't been very successful.Thanks so much.

unknowndisorder, Aug 27, 6:33am
No worries Pip. I had to stop and think as well (yeah, I'll use Pams or whatever also) :)
Hope your sponge is yum :)

fifie, Aug 27, 9:32am
Sponges Yum haven't made one for yonks. Mmm might have to make one with a raspberry jelly in the centre now.

korbo, Aug 27, 9:40am
mmmm, havent had one of those for ages, how do you set the jelly between.!

fifie, Aug 27, 10:07am
Easy korbo,cook your sponge in 2 sponge sandwich tins,Fielders recipe above is great, remove from tin cool on a cake rack Make pkt raspberry jelly up with about 11/2 cups boiling water, put in fridge to set till quite wobbly but not fully set.Large flat plate put one half on plate run a strip of greaseproof paper about 4inches high right round the sponge pull firmand secure with tape or pins. Take wobbly jelly and gently spoon or pour onto sponge on the plate with paper round it. Now take other half and gently ease it on top of jelly making sure it goes inside the paper. Put in fridge to fully set jelly. Gently ease paper off sponge with a knife sieve little icing sugar on top and cut into wedges centre out to serve. You will have a sponge with jelly in the middle.

noelee, Aug 27, 10:36am
Fielders Sponge is a great recipe I've been making these into small cakes a tablespoon of the mix into lined patty tins.I then fill with either jam, berries or chopped peaches with a bit of whipped cream and a dusting of icing sugar on top.Makes 18 cakes.

punkinthefirst, Aug 27, 11:12am
I've been making that sponge for 61 years! (It was my mother's favourite "bring-a-plate" recipe) One of my earliest memories is being allowed to beat the egg whites and yolks for my 4th birthday cake - theFielder's sponge - what else!
In all that time, I've had very few failures, and none that I can blame the recipe for.

..pip.., Aug 27, 11:15pm
Does anyone have the original recipe that used to come of the back of the cornflour box!I know I can Google the recipe but want to see if I can get this recipe first.I have cornflour but it's Pams LOL so no recipe.

unknowndisorder, Aug 28, 1:46am
'Here's the famous Fielder's Classic Sponge recipe

3 eggs
pinch salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornflour
1 dsp flour
1 tsp baking powder

Separate eggs. Beat egg whites with salt till stiff. Add sugar very gradually and beat till stiff and sugar has dissolved. Add egg yolks. Beat till well blended.
Sift together cornflour, flour and BP and fold into mixture.
Pour into 2 sandwich tins which have been greased and bottom lined with greaseproof paper. Bake 190C 15-20 mins.'

Quote juliewn (2036 )6:38 pm, Sat 29 Jan #11

Also, do a search for fielders cornflour sponge recipe - got quite a lot of threads come up when I did this. I make the no fail sponge that someone posted, and it's just like how I remember sponges to be. We don't eat many cakes, and my husband thought when I made one that most would go to the birds. Don't think they even got a crumb.

..pip.., Aug 28, 3:46am
Thanks so much for this.I couldn't remember who made the cornflour so my Google searches hadn't been very successful.Thanks so much.

unknowndisorder, Aug 28, 6:33am
No worries Pip. I had to stop and think as well (yeah, I'll use Pams or whatever also) :)
Hope your sponge is yum :)

fifie, Aug 28, 9:32am
Sponges Yum haven't made one for yonks. Mmm might have to make one with a raspberry jelly in the centre now.

noelee, Aug 28, 10:36am
Fielders Sponge is a great recipe I've been making these into small cakes a tablespoon of the mix into lined patty tins.I then fill with either jam, berries or chopped peaches with a bit of whipped cream and a dusting of icing sugar on top.Makes 18 cakes.

punkinthefirst, Aug 28, 11:12am
I've been making that sponge for 61 years! (It was my mother's favourite "bring-a-plate" recipe) One of my earliest memories is being allowed to beat the egg whites and yolks for my 4th birthday cake - theFielder's sponge - what else!
In all that time, I've had very few failures, and none that I can blame the recipe for.