Cornflour vs flour

mattdylan, Oct 6, 2:21am
I see a lot of recipes that use cornflour to thicken sauces etc, whats the difference between using cornflour or just normal flour!

tarshlove, Oct 6, 2:25am
For me it's taste and texture the cornflour almost melts into the sauce

rainrain1, Oct 6, 4:01am
also cornflour gives a gloss to the sauce, flour doesn't

harrislucinda, Oct 6, 4:20am
alwaysusecorn flourto makegraveymakesureitiscornandnotmaizeasyuck

buzzy110, Oct 6, 4:25am
Personally I dislike the slimy texture of cornflour thickened gravies and stews and would much prefer to use flour if I wasn't making jus or a reduction sauce.

On the other hand, Asian style dishes just do not work with flour, it makes the sauce heavy and gluggy. However, Asian sauces are still quite runny (or should be if made properly), unlike western style thick sauces, so all cornflour does is give the sauce a nice shiny, smooth texture and is hardly noticeable.

lx4000, Oct 6, 5:04am
agrees with everyone above:)

jag5, Oct 6, 5:12am
Cornflour for me.can't stand the "gluggy" gravy or sauces that flour gives, cheese sauce being the exception.

nzl99, Oct 6, 5:23am
Gluten free vs not gluten free.

lilyfield, Oct 6, 6:49pm
cornflour just needs to come back to the boil- thickens instantly. Flour however needs to be properly cooked. several minutes of slow simmering , increasing the risk of burning the pot. After that its NOT gluggy.

accroul, Oct 6, 7:07pm
Corn is the same as maize. The only difference is that the word 'maize' originates from the Spanish word 'maiz' & in English speaking countries, it's called 'corn'.

harrislucinda, Oct 6, 7:15pm
yessorryitisthewheatencornflouriusenot themaizeasthatisacreamcolouroverthewhite

kinna54, Oct 7, 1:27am
I prefer flour for tastes, but depends upon what I am making.
Cornflour defenitely produces a more shiny sauce.
Buzzy;in Asian dishes they often use arrowrroot as a thickener.

karenz, Oct 7, 4:45am
Cornlour makes much smoother gravies and gives a great texture to, for example, chicken and corn soup.

mwood, Oct 7, 9:30am
just use arrowroot instead of cornflour or wheat flour - superior result - clearer sauce - just bring it to the boil point but don't boil it.