Pavlova Recipe - With Cornflour or without?

carter441, Dec 23, 5:42am
I am going to make my first ever Pavlova!Which is the best recipe, "with" cornflour or "without"! Help!

lost-in-oz, Dec 23, 5:44am
personal choice I think.

I always use cornflour, but have read heaps of posts from others who don't.

carter441, Dec 23, 6:03am
Thank you.Anyone else!

lodgelocum, Dec 23, 6:19am
My recipe is 2 egg whites, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 teaspoon cornflour, 2 teaspoon vingear, 1 teaspoon vanilla essence, 4 tablespoons boiling water, put all together in bowl, beat for 15 minutes, bake 170c for 10 minutes, lower to 130-140c for 45 minutes, cool in oven.I doubled the recipe today and it turned out beautiful, one pav big enough to feed all our guests.

carter441, Dec 23, 6:22am
Wow - that must be a big pav!Thanks. Do you use "bake" or "fan bake" please!

lodgelocum, Dec 23, 6:24am
I have a gas oven but normal bake would be ok

carter441, Dec 23, 6:31am
You are not allowed to use plastic bowls.Does this also mean you can't use a plastic spatula to get it from the bowl on to the baking paper! !

lodgelocum, Dec 23, 6:33am
Haha, I use a plastic bowl, know "they" say no, but always works out, and yes, I also use a plastic spatula to get from bowl to oven tray.

carter441, Dec 23, 6:35am
Giggles - thanks, you're a gem!

lodgelocum, Dec 23, 6:42am
Good luck.Merry Christmas!

carter441, Dec 23, 7:34am
Sorry - can I just check.You only use TWO egg whites!

tigerlily99, Dec 23, 9:05am
I use 7-8 egg whites, cornflour, vinegar, caster sugar & vanilla and I have success every time with a monster pav enough for an extended family feast.
I love making Pav - it is so rewarding. The key is to beat and beat and beat it for ages. Then leave it in the turned off oven afterwards to dry properly.

carter441, Dec 23, 9:21am
Thank you!When you say beat for ages, do you mean, say, 15 mins!

tigerlily99, Dec 23, 9:31am
probably all up, the beating while gradually adding in the sugar and other ingredients along the way, would add up to 25 minutes I reckon.that's with stopping to add vanilla, vinegar, etc and starting up again. Time consuming at first but so worth it.

tigerlily99, Dec 23, 9:36am
I think the cornflour and vinegar are vital to make that crunchy outer layer as a contrast to the marshmallow inside.

carter441, Dec 23, 10:09am
Thank you!I really appreciate your help! Happy Christmas!

lodgelocum, Dec 23, 7:14pm
Surely do! unless you double it of course.It still makes a decent size pav.

marie2244, Dec 24, 1:37am
Definitely need the cornflour if you want a marshmallowy centre.

nickyd, Dec 24, 2:29am
The Foodlovers website has great step by step instructions for the perfect pavlova.Mine in oven drying now.

carter441, Dec 24, 3:24am
My instructions say to cook it at 110 degrees (recipe from Chelsea Sugar website).Should I use Bake or Fan Bake!Help - please!

rarogal, Dec 24, 3:37am
Amusing how we,all use different recipes for the same result!

dalkemade, Dec 24, 8:19am
What, only 2 egg whites. For 1 1/2 cups sugar etc I use 6 egg whites.

nik12, Dec 24, 8:59am
I use that above recipe and it's great.Makes one big enough to feed 6+.Sometimes I double it. did try tripleing it once, but my poor kenwood had a fit and the mix hit the top of the beaters lol. hence why I'm scared to try the 6 egg recipes on here!