Where can I buy Sorghum Flour around Palmy?

pom-pom, Apr 30, 7:32am
I need this to try out loads of Gluten Free recipes. Apparently there are several really good bread recipes but all say Sorghum is a must. It may also be know as Jawa flour in Indian shops (or something similar - please fel free to enlighten me). If anyone knows where I can get this, I'd be grateful. Bin Inn don't have it in Feilding.

irishdymonz, May 1, 3:22am
I've never seen Sorghum flour, but you could try ringing Steve's Bulk Bin in Albert Street, otherwise possibly try Davis Trading.Steve's have a lot of GF products.I tend to modify standard recipes to make them GF usually.

pom-pom, May 1, 4:08am
Thanks irishdymonz. I have been following your advice and adapting standard recipes which is going pretty well amazingly!! However, I have tripped over the same bead recipe (with photos of GF bread looking like....well bread) and I really want to try it out but it HAS to have Sorghum. Steve's didn't have it but I'd forgotten about Davis Trading so I'll give them a go. Thanks again

malcovy, May 1, 6:38am
My sister bought me some from an ethnic store but not in Palmy.If there is one where you live then you could have a look in there.Sorghum flour is not really a must as they make out it to be.

kinna54, May 1, 6:51am
There is an etnic store on cook st, could be worth a try there. Pioneer New World also stock a lot of overseas products and quite a range of gluten free goods.

pom-pom, May 1, 7:32am
I need this to try out loads of Gluten Free recipes. Apparently there are several really good bread recipes but all say Sorghum is a must. It may also be know as Jawa flour in Indian shops (or something similar - please fel free to enlighten me). If anyone knows where I can get this, I'd be grateful. Bin Inn don't have it in Feilding.

pom-pom, May 1, 9:04am
I'm still learning but what would you swap the sorghum for? Someone suggested amaranth but that is so expensive!!

indy95, May 2, 2:36am
Pom-pom, you could try the store on the corner of Cook and Ferguson Streets or the the organic store in the Broadtop Centre near the top end of Broadway just off Ruahine Street.

pom-pom, May 2, 3:08am
Thank you indy95!

irishdymonz, May 2, 3:22am
I've never seen Sorghum flour, but you could try ringing Steve's Bulk Bin in Albert Street, otherwise possibly try Davis Trading.Steve's have a lot of GF products.I tend to modify standard recipes to make them GF usually.

pom-pom, May 2, 4:08am
Thanks irishdymonz. I have been following your advice and adapting standard recipes which is going pretty well amazingly! However, I have tripped over the same bead recipe (with photos of GF bread looking like.well bread) and I really want to try it out but it HAS to have Sorghum. Steve's didn't have it but I'd forgotten about Davis Trading so I'll give them a go. Thanks again

indy95, May 2, 4:51am
You're welcome, pom-pom. I've also just remembered there is an ethnic shop in College Street opposite College Street school which would be worth trying.

pom-pom, May 2, 6:40am
Hi - I just rang the cook street mini mart - they have it - yippee!!! It's called Juar (Cholam) Flour. They are so nice in there (I did a Pakistani cookery course in Feilding and went there for all my spices). Indian recipes are largely gluten free so I shall train my nine year old to become partial to pakora (cooked in chick pea flour batter!) and curry, bhooned and thickened the wheat free way - she'll thank me later as she heads off on her OE! For anyone else outside the area who is remotely interested in this obscure subject a place in Christchurch will ship!! Go to http://www.discountfw.co.nz and check out their range.

pom-pom, May 2, 9:04am
I'm still learning but what would you swap the sorghum for! Someone suggested amaranth but that is so expensive!

indy95, May 3, 4:51am
You're welcome, pom-pom. I've also just remembered there is an ethnic shop in College Street opposite College Street school which would be worth trying.

pom-pom, May 3, 6:40am
Hi - I just rang the cook street mini mart - they have it - yippee! It's called Juar (Cholam) Flour. They are so nice in there (I did a Pakistani cookery course in Feilding and went there for all my spices). Indian recipes are largely gluten free so I shall train my nine year old to become partial to pakora (cooked in chick pea flour batter!) and curry, bhooned and thickened the wheat free way - she'll thank me later as she heads off on her OE! For anyone else outside the area who is remotely interested in this obscure subject a place in Christchurch will ship! Go to http://www.discountfw.co.nz and check out their range.

pom-pom, May 4, 9:03pm
Got some - cook street mini mart - $4.99 a kilo! Thank you