Chickpea flour?

mattdylan, Jul 11, 3:42am
I have been told that normal flour is bad for me (weight wise) so might try using chickpea flour, anyone else use this? can it be substitued for normal flour in most recipes?

auntlb, Jul 11, 4:02am
Chickpea flour (sometimes known as Channa flour) is quite strong flavoured by itself.I use a combo of potato flour, rice flour (white and/and brown) along with chickpea flour in recipes - about 1/3 of each.Most recipes you can substitute flour in equal amounts - depending on the recipe I sometimes need a bit more flour or liquid to get the consistency right

lx4000, Jul 11, 4:57am
use wholemeal flour! Add things like bran, bran flakes, wheat germ etc !!

buzzy110, Jul 11, 5:14am
Why would normal flour be bad for your weight and not every other flour? They all have similar carbs? Your reminds me of an acquaintance I metwho crowed about not eating bread for a whole month whilst stuffing her face with bagels. She seemed unable to comprehend that there was no substantive difference between bread and bagels, and excepting that bagels are sweeter, she was still eating 'bread' or grains.

Wholemeal flour, brans and wheatgerm have their place but remember they are also high in phytates that bind with minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc and prevent them from being metabolised and absorbed by your body. You need these minerals and anything that takes them away from you should be eaten cautiously.

Why not try just removing baked and flour products completely from your diet instead. There is a NZ Low Carb site which has hundreds of recipes for people who choose not to eat grains or limit their grains.

I cannot give you the link because TM will send me a warning letter but you could try googling it. We call it the dark side because the home page has a black background.

lythande1, Jul 11, 5:18am
chickpea flour - 356 calories
Wheat flour - 407 calories,
Just eat less especially carbohydrate in general.

davidt4, Jul 11, 5:26am
I agree.It's a simple way of improving your overall health, and you will lose weight, especially visceral fat (the internal fat in the abdomen which gives people a pot belly or "beer gut").

iman007, Jul 11, 7:21am
onion bahjis made from chickpea flour, num num

mattdylan, Jul 11, 9:35pm
interesting, thanks for your post buzzy110, I was told to try and avoid flour based foods as the flour sits in the gut like glue (add water to Flour) and is hard for other foods to digest .... I thought maybe chickpea flour is better as it's natural, but after thinking about it chickpea flour probably does the same thing. I haven't been eating bread at all

bedazzledjewels, Jul 11, 10:16pm
Have you noticed any differences to how you feel?

mattdylan, Jul 11, 10:40pm
To be honest, no !