River cottage bread did he really mean a kg flour?

pheebs1, May 12, 10:43pm
tried it this morning and it seemed way too much unbelievably hard to knead
usually my yeast is in the hot water with sugar but he didnt mention any sugar
i weighed the flour. i will be brassed off if i doesnt work . i knead for 10 mins the put in food processor to do as well. too hard!

lythande1, May 12, 10:45pm
So it says:
* 1kg strong white bread flour
* 10g fast-action yeast
* 15g fine salt
* 1-2 tbsp sunflower, rapeseed or olive oil (optional), plus extra to oil the dough
* 600ml warm water

But I'd adjust it, if you know there's too much flour, well, then there's too much flour.

It does say:
Combine the flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add the oil, if using (not essential, but it makes for a slightly softer, more supple crumb), then add the water. Stir to create a rough, sticky dough. The dough really should be quite sticky at this stage – if it isn’t, add a splash more water.

2. Turn out the dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, rhythmically stretching the dough away from you, then folding it back on itself. The idea is to stretch and develop the gluten within the dough, not to beat the living daylights out of it. Avoid adding more flour if you can: the dough will become less sticky and easier to handle as you knead, and a wetter dough is generally a better dough.

pheebs1, May 12, 10:50pm
and there you have it i thought on the program he said 400ml but i think i was confusing it with 400gms flour in the soda bread.
oh poo and i used the last of my yeast . i must say i added a bit more water when kneading which was a mess but i was desperate. oh dear. wish me luck wont you

thats what happens when you dont write it down

pheebs1, May 12, 10:51pm
i may have made a door stop! ha ha

beaker59, May 13, 1:24am
If it rises then you won't have a doorstop. Firmer doughs are handy for freehand loaves like those he was making the big round ones so don't give up on it yet.

pheebs1, May 13, 1:57am
it works! ok its quite dense as opposed to the light fluffy ones but hey ive eaten nearly half a loaf so it cant be all bad. id even forgot the oil and half the salt
still good
yay
it will be even better next time. though trying to work out would you say homemade is cheaper than bought. we all know its nice but im not sure it works out cheaper

painterman, May 13, 2:14am
Buy a sack of flour and a jar of yeast and it is cheaper

lythande1, May 13, 3:44am
His recipe isn't special, pretty much a standard bread recipe really.

lythande1, May 13, 10:45pm
So it says:
* 1kg strong white bread flour
* 10g fast-action yeast
* 15g fine salt
* 1-2 tbsp sunflower, rapeseed or olive oil (optional), plus extra to oil the dough
* 600ml warm water

But I'd adjust it, if you know there's too much flour, well, then there's too much flour.

It does say:
Combine the flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add the oil, if using (not essential, but it makes for a slightly softer, more supple crumb), then add the water. Stir to create a rough, sticky dough. The dough really should be quite sticky at this stage – if it isn’t, add a splash more water.

2. Turn out the dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, rhythmically stretching the dough away from you, then folding it back on itself. The idea is to stretch and develop the gluten within the dough, not to beat the living daylights out of it. Avoid adding more flour if you can: the dough will become less sticky and easier to handle as you knead, and a wetter dough is generally a better dough.

beaker59, May 14, 1:24am
If it rises then you won't have a doorstop. Firmer doughs are handy for freehand loaves like those he was making the big round ones so don't give up on it yet.

lythande1, May 14, 3:44am
His recipe isn't special, pretty much a standard bread recipe really.