I have LOADS of eggs - ideas needed!

Page 1 / 3
deluxe4u, May 28, 11:45pm
Lots of eggs here too.
so this morning I have made banana muffins, Louise slice and sultana cake - - which is in the oven smelling divine (probably due to the large amount of bourbon in it! but it uses 5 eggs.)

deluxe4u, May 28, 11:47pm

1kg, Jul 8, 11:13pm
I stupidly bought a tray of size 8 eggs because they were only $3.99 - I discover now that we already have a few left in another carton, plus another dozen size 7's. Uh oh....
Please give me some recipes and ideas to help get through them in the next week or so??

245sam, Jul 8, 11:35pm
1kg, your abundance of eggs will keep well for a good while yet if carefully stored - I keep a few handy for immediate use in the kitchen/laundry but the rest I keep in their tray/carton in the garage where it's much cooler, and they keep for ages; in fact well past the date on the tray/carton.However if you really want to find uses now for those eggs there's plenty of help available - have a look at:-

http://www.eggs.org.nz/

and/or

try doing a search here on this Trademe MB using eggs as the Keyword and Last year as the Date posted option.

Some suggestions off the top of my head are:
bacon and egg pie, baked egg custard, frittata, omelettes, quiche, souffle, pavlova/meringues, citrus curd (lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit) curd to use e.g. as a pavlova topping, curried eggs, convent eggs.....

Hope that helps.

I'm not surprised that you were tempted to buy those size 8 eggs - IMO very good buying.:-))

1kg, Jul 8, 11:39pm
I know! I can't resist a bargain, thanks for the ideas will check the expiry and you have given some very good ideas. Will check out the eggs website now. Thanks!

lx4000, Jul 9, 12:18am
Citrus Tart.
125g Butter
1 C Flour
1/2 C Icing Sugar

Place it all in Food Processor and run till it clumps together. Use floured hands, press mix into base flan tin. Refrigerate for at least 30 mins.

1 Cup Caster Sugar
1/2 C Lemon Juice
Grated rind of 2 Lemons
2 Tablespoons of Custard Powder,
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
3 Eggs

Icing Sugar to dust.

Place all the filling into the food processor and run till combined.
Pour into chilled base.
Bake for 25 mins until pastry crisp and golden and filling set.
Dust with icing sugar.
Its Easy Peasy.!!
Edited by molly37

lx4000, Jul 9, 12:19am
Cheese Muffins/Puffs
2 eggs
water
1 C Grated Cheese
1 C veggies (I use corn onion with tomato on top)
pinch Salt
2 C Flour
3 tspn BP
1/4 - 1/2 tspn Cayenne Pepper if wished
Break eggs into 1 measuring Cupthen fill with water to make 1 cup, then add another 1 C water. Mix.
Add veggies and cheese then mix.
Stir in salt, flour, cayenne pepper, BP until just mixed.
Spoon into muffin tins.
20 mins approx at 180.

lx4000, Jul 9, 12:20am
PORRIDGE MUFFINS
BOWL 1
1/2 C Oil
1 Grated Apple
2 Eggs
1 C Cooked Porridge
1/2 C Sultanas
1/2 C Coconut
1 tspn Van Ess
Mix till no lumps.
BOWL 2
1 C Flour
2/3 C Brown Sugar
1 tspn BP
1 tspn BS
1 tspn Cinnamon
Mix well.
Add Bowl 2 to bowl 1 and just mix.
Spoon into muffin tins.
Bake 15 mins at 180

lx4000, Jul 9, 12:21am
BREAKFAST MUFFINS

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups (275g) caster sugar
2 cups (300g) plain flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sultanas
1 cup desiccated coconut

2 cups grated carrot
1 cup grated apple

1 cup chopped walnuts

3 eggs

1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Icing sugar, to dust

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180degC.

2. Sift sugar, flour, cinnamon and powder into a large bowl.

Add sultanas, carrot, apple, coconut and walnuts.

In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil and vanilla.

3. Add to the dry ingredients and fold until just combined - do not over mix.

4. Spoon into muffin pans and bake for

25 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve dusted with icing sugar.

lx4000, Jul 9, 12:22am
do some baking and put in the freezer!! Great for when visitors arrive or a nice supper in front of the fire:)

daleaway, Jul 9, 2:17am
I make meringues and lemon curd on the same day - one uses three or four yolks and the other the same number of whites. Because you don't have to eat them right away - both keep for months if stored properly(airtight container for the meringues and fridge for the curd).

Which still leaves you within your weekly egg-eating quota to have a nice self-crusting quiche for dinner!

kokako14, Jul 9, 2:43am
Be like in the old days, my mum used to preserve them some how...

falcon-hell, Jul 9, 4:54am
make a sponge,they use 6 at a time.

rainrain1, Jul 9, 6:38am
I hope by now you have made a delicious bacon and egg pie :-)

jessie981, Jul 9, 6:57am
Scotch Eggs
Stock up your Christmas Pavs & freeze - use the yolks in
coating meats
salad dressing
custard
puddings

janny3, Jul 9, 1:05pm
Friend was unwell so the DIL made a frittata for 4 adults & 2 toddlers using 14 eggs.Friend said it was very nice but upset the 14 eggs were organic free range so a bit expensive.Tasty though.

1kg, Jul 9, 11:13pm
I stupidly bought a tray of size 8 eggs because they were only $3.99 - I discover now that we already have a few left in another carton, plus another dozen size 7's. Uh oh.
Please give me some recipes and ideas to help get through them in the next week or so!

245sam, Jul 9, 11:35pm
1kg, your abundance of eggs will keep well for a good while yet if carefully stored - I keep a few handy for immediate use in the kitchen/laundry but the rest I keep in their tray/carton in the garage where it's much cooler, and they keep for ages; in fact well past the date on the tray/carton.However if you really want to find uses now for those eggs there's plenty of help available - have a look at:-

http://www.eggs.org.nz/

and/or

try doing a search here on this Trademe MB using eggs as the Keyword and Last year as the Date posted option.

Some suggestions off the top of my head are:
bacon and egg pie, baked egg custard, frittata, omelettes, quiche, souffle, pavlova/meringues, citrus curd (lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit) curd to use e.g. as a pavlova topping, curried eggs, convent eggs.

Hope that helps.

I'm not surprised that you were tempted to buy those size 8 eggs - IMO very good buying.:-))

1kg, Jul 9, 11:39pm
I know! I can't resist a bargain, thanks for the ideas will check the expiry and you have given some very good ideas. Will check out the eggs website now. Thanks!

lx4000, Jul 10, 12:18am
Citrus Tart.
125g Butter
1 C Flour
1/2 C Icing Sugar

Place it all in Food Processor and run till it clumps together. Use floured hands, press mix into base flan tin. Refrigerate for at least 30 mins.

1 Cup Caster Sugar
1/2 C Lemon Juice
Grated rind of 2 Lemons
2 Tablespoons of Custard Powder,
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
3 Eggs

Icing Sugar to dust.

Place all the filling into the food processor and run till combined.
Pour into chilled base.
Bake for 25 mins until pastry crisp and golden and filling set.
Dust with icing sugar.
Its Easy Peasy.!
Edited by molly37

lx4000, Jul 10, 12:22am
do some baking and put in the freezer! Great for when visitors arrive or a nice supper in front of the fire:)

daleaway, Jul 10, 2:17am
I make meringues and lemon curd on the same day - one uses three or four yolks and the other the same number of whites. Because you don't have to eat them right away - both keep for months if stored properly(airtight container for the meringues and fridge for the curd).

Which still leaves you within your weekly egg-eating quota to have a nice self-crusting quiche for dinner!

kokako14, Jul 10, 2:43am
Be like in the old days, my mum used to preserve them some how.

jag5, Jul 10, 3:49am
You can freeze them.....break into patty pans.....freeze.When frozen tip out and bag up.Still great for baking, poaching, scrambling....nothing wrong with them.

blondebabe4, Jul 10, 7:46am
kesh orbacon and egg pie maybe?