Scrambled eggs at cafe....

Page 1 / 4
korbo, May 17, 10:10am
after reading the thread about a cup of tea at cafe, i am wondering what others would expect to paywhen ordering scrambled eggs and toast at a cafe, for breakfast.?????
How many slices of toast, and approx how much egg..

winnie231, May 17, 10:44am
I expect 2 eggs scrambled with 2 slices of toast to be around $10.

leebee35, May 17, 11:36am
I have paid about $15-$17 - bit of a rip off.Both did have an extra yummy topping of avocado and feta cheese.
I think it should be no more than $12 in Auckland.

korbo, May 17, 9:43pm
this cafe was in Picton,(main St)waited nearly 20mins,-$10.00 - 2 slices of cold toast, and approx 1/2 cup of tough stringy eggs.1 butter sachet.
(***tray of 30 eggs $7.50***)
Others had so called big breky....$16.00- 1 egg, 1 small sausage, 1 slice bacon, 2 bits cold toast,1 uncooked slice of tomato, 2 butter sachets.
Sooooo...as much as we like Picton, that is one cafe WE WON'T go back to.
Unfortunatley at 7am this was the only one we could see that was open.....

indy95, May 18, 5:26am
I recently ordered slightly undercooked scrambled eggs on toast without butter at a cafe in Sanson, which was $12 or $13 ( I think ).The eggs arrived horrendously overcooked, the toast was soggy and cold and had been buttered and very little interest was shown in putting things right.Earlier this week I ordered the same thing at a cafe in a former bank building at the lower end of Victoria Avenue in Wanganui. The cost was $10 and I got exactly what I had asked for.

gerry64, May 18, 6:03am
I guess if the cafe is using free range or organic eggs and better than average bread $10 maybe justified - but I too find some of the charges for breakfast puzzling - I had eggs benedict at a cafe a few sundays ago $16 - but that was OK was lovely - my husband ordered two poached eggs which was also on the menu and was charged the same for that

korbo, May 18, 10:10am
after reading the thread about a cup of tea at cafe, i am wondering what others would expect to paywhen ordering scrambled eggs and toast at a cafe, for breakfast.!
How many slices of toast, and approx how much egg.

kuaka, May 18, 10:32am
hmmm, I don't know.As I said in the thread about the pot of tea, I never buy tea or coffee out (actually I never eat out - can't afford to) but I'm reminded of a few years ago when I was doing bed & breakfast, and someone asked me what I gave the guests for breakfast, and I replied "orange juice, a choice of cereal, yoghurt, fruit, then bacon, eggs, sausages, tomato, mushrooms, toast and marmalade/jam, tea/coffee" and they said "that's a $30 breakfast" and I thought she had to be joking.I also recall one couple tucking in and finishing every morsel which was put in front of them, and said "that will do us till teatime" and less than two hours later I saw them sitting outside one of the local cafes tucking in to a huge muffin each and coffee.

duckmoon, May 18, 10:37am
I pay around $8 for two eggs, and sour dough toast...

but $15 if it is something like an english muffin and holendaise

womp_womp_music, May 18, 10:45am
I have to say that when i buy scrambled eggs(which is never because nobody does them like i do) i like 3 eggs...only because the egg shrinks down when it is scrambled. With sour dough and fresh butter id pay up to $12

grinnbareit, May 18, 11:02am
I would never order something as easy as scrambled eggs. I see you are from Napier, the motel we stayed in last year made a smashing breakfast for us. Juice, cereal, tomatoes, bacon and egg, toast, honey and jam. $15.00 each.

pickles7, May 18, 11:23am
The cafe's are getting a hard time lately.

socram, May 18, 11:52am
Many only have themselves to blame.I too would never ever order scrambled eggs either.I like them the way I do them...

I have lost count of the number of times when I have asked for soft poached eggs /runny yolks, and been served lumps of over cooked rubber.

Local cafe here does superb poached eggs, on nice brown toast, two rashers of shoulder bacon, a whole sliced tomato beautifully cooked and as much butter as you need, for $11. If you go the eggs Benedict route, you get two eggs, avocado, spinach, muffin and a whole fillet of salmon, not a couple of scraps!

So I brunch there most days as the coffee bowl is large. Many cafe's haven't yet twigged that if the largest coffee on offer is an over priced medium cup, there are those of us who walk straight past.

nauru, May 18, 11:55am
But that is no excuse for overpriced, badly cooked food.

womp_womp_music, May 18, 12:47pm
Yummm... and where are you based again lol haha

Great now im hungry lol.
Might have a midnight snack of bacon and eggs lol

gerry64, May 18, 1:10pm
sometimes when we are travelling scrambled eggs are a nice light breakfast - so we also do order them at a cafe

pickles7, May 18, 7:09pm
....womp_womp_music....and me.....sounds just yum. I am a coffee drinker and like a bottomless cup. I am not alive until I have two or three mugs of coffee.lol

korbo, May 18, 8:10pm
interesting, I chose scrambled egg as was travelling on ferry, and the crossing was looking rough......
I know wages have to be made etc, but if you took the cost of 1 egg, a dash of milk popped into a m/wave and 2 slices of toast, it just doesnt seem value for dollar....maybe i am not a well travelled *eater out* person....Have to admit the breakfast on Bluebridge is excellent, but as i am a diabetic, I couldnt wait until the boat sailed. It was 2 hrs late....thanks for feedback...

korbo, May 18, 9:43pm
this cafe was in Picton,(main St)waited nearly 20mins,-$10.00 - 2 slices of cold toast, and approx 1/2 cup of tough stringy eggs.1 butter sachet.
(***tray of 30 eggs $7.50***)
Others had so called big breky.$16.00- 1 egg, 1 small sausage, 1 slice bacon, 2 bits cold toast,1 uncooked slice of tomato, 2 butter sachets.
Sooooo.as much as we like Picton, that is one cafe WE WON'T go back to.
Unfortunatley at 7am this was the only one we could see that was open.

norse_westie, May 18, 10:58pm
I've never bought breakfast in my life till recently when I had a "date". He ordered french toast which sounded great, but I went for a bagel. His french toast arrived on a massive square plate, six pieces, a whole pile of bacon, a jug of maple syrup and two fried bananas. I told the waitress we had ordered just ONE, and she insisted it was a plate for one. Blardy hell, it could have fed two adults easily. My date couldnt finish it and told me it was the best bacon and french toast he had ever had. It cost $12.

wildflower, May 19, 3:39am
Who would pay those prices for eggs on toast, you could do it at home for about $2!!

buzzy110, May 19, 3:43am
People who are not at home, who haven't got any food safely stowed in a chilly bin and who actually need to eat, like diabetics, or because they are hungry, probably would have to pay whatever price the food provider of their choice was asking.

indy95, May 19, 5:26am
I recently ordered slightly undercooked scrambled eggs on toast without butter at a cafe in Sanson, which was $12 or $13 ( I think ).The eggs arrived horrendously overcooked, the toast was soggy and cold and had been buttered.Earlier this week I ordered the same thing at a cafe in a former bank building at the lower end of Victoria Avenue in Wanganui. The cost was $10 and I got exactly what I had asked for.

socram, May 19, 7:22am
When you work from home, you need to get out or go stir crazy - unless you have clients to visit.Eating brunch out is affordable, but could be cut back if required.

Some drink gallons of beer or bottles of wine, some set fire to vegetation and inhale the smoke (I have never understood that one) and heaps spend needless money on text messaging or mobile phones, the pokies or gambling on the galloping dog meat.Other sad souls inject money into their veins for kicks or sniff expensive noxious brain damaging substances.

We have to eat and time is money, so eating a decent cheap basic daily meal out and enjoying a large coffee prepared by an expert, is one of life's luxuries, that I enjoy to the very last crumb or drop and will do as long as I can afford it and am mobile enough to get there.

esther-anne, May 19, 9:18am
I'm on the North shore too-wouldn't mind knowing where you get your regular scrumptious sounding brunches??Ta!!!!