Scrambled eggs at cafe....

Page 2 / 4
kuaka, May 19, 10:32am
hmmm, I don't know.As I said in the thread about the pot of tea, I never buy tea or coffee out (actually I never eat out - can't afford to) but I'm reminded of a few years ago when I was doing bed & breakfast, and someone asked me what I gave the guests for breakfast, and I replied "orange juice, a choice of cereal, yoghurt, fruit, then bacon, eggs, sausages, tomato, mushrooms, toast and marmalade/jam, tea/coffee" and they said "that's a $30 breakfast" and I thought she had to be joking.I also recall one couple tucking in and finishing every morsel which was put in front of them, and said "that will do us till teatime" and less than two hours later I saw them sitting outside one of the local cafes tucking in to a huge muffin each and coffee.

duckmoon, May 19, 10:37am
I pay around $8 for two eggs, and sour dough toast.

but $15 if it is something like an english muffin and holendaise

womp_womp_music, May 19, 10:45am
I have to say that when i buy scrambled eggs(which is never because nobody does them like i do) i like 3 eggs.only because the egg shrinks down when it is scrambled. With sour dough and fresh butter id pay up to $12

pickles7, May 19, 11:23am
The cafe's are getting a hard time lately.

janny3, May 19, 11:25am
I'm in!Where's this place?

socram, May 19, 11:52am
Many only have themselves to blame.I too would never ever order scrambled eggs either.I like them the way I do them.

I have lost count of the number of times when I have asked for soft poached eggs /runny yolks, and been served lumps of over cooked rubber.

Local cafe here does superb poached eggs, on nice brown toast, two rashers of shoulder bacon, a whole sliced tomato beautifully cooked and as much butter as you need, for $11. If you go the eggs Benedict route, you get two eggs, avocado, spinach, muffin and a whole fillet of salmon, not a couple of scraps!

So I brunch there most days as the coffee bowl is large. Many cafe's haven't yet twigged that if the largest coffee on offer is an over priced medium cup, there are those of us who walk straight past.

womp_womp_music, May 19, 12:47pm
Yummm. and where are you based again lol haha

Great now im hungry lol.
Might have a midnight snack of bacon and eggs lol

aktow, May 19, 5:09pm
if you work out dollar for dollarwith other countries then nz is expensive for breakfast. i mean what can you buy with your dollar.my local breakfast place had a choiceof 25 different omelette's, all styles of cooked eggs as well as hamburgers etc.you choose by number,,i always got ham, scallops, American cheese andtomatoomelette withfried potato and onions,three pieces of soar dough bread.. unlimited coffee , price $12.

pickles7, May 19, 7:09pm
.womp_womp_music.and me.sounds just yum. I am a coffee drinker and like a bottomless cup. I am not alive until I have two or three mugs of coffee.lol

korbo, May 19, 8:10pm
interesting, I chose scrambled egg as was travelling on ferry, and the crossing was looking rough.
I know wages have to be made etc, but if you took the cost of 1 egg, a dash of milk popped into a m/wave and 2 slices of toast, it just doesnt seem value for dollar.maybe i am not a well travelled *eater out* person.Have to admit the breakfast on Bluebridge is excellent, but as i am a diabetic, I couldnt wait until the boat sailed. It was 2 hrs late.thanks for feedback.

norse_westie, May 19, 10:58pm
I've never bought breakfast in my life till recently when I had a "date". He ordered french toast which sounded great, but I went for a bagel. His french toast arrived on a massive square plate, six pieces, a whole pile of bacon, a jug of maple syrup and two fried bananas. I told the waitress we had ordered just ONE, and she insisted it was a plate for one. Blardy hell, it could have fed two adults easily. My date couldnt finish it and told me it was the best bacon and french toast he had ever had. It cost $12.

wildflower, May 20, 3:34am
Or plan ahead and take food with you.I worked in a supermarket for 10 years, started at 5.30am onwards, took my food everyday.Obviously if you have the income it's no big deal to buy out but a lot of people are struggling these days and eggs on toast I thought would have been an affordable meal so I was somewhat shocked.

wildflower, May 20, 3:39am
Who would pay those prices for eggs on toast, you could do it at home for about $2!

buzzy110, May 20, 3:43am
People who are not at home, who haven't got any food safely stowed in a chilly bin and who actually need to eat, like diabetics, or because they are hungry, probably would have to pay whatever price the food provider of their choice was asking.

lindanz, May 20, 4:03am
I pay around $8.50 for beautiful scrambled or poached eggs, with sourdough toast and basil pesto/chutney.No way would I pay over $10 for plain scrambled, when you can get eggs benedict with salmon for around $14...

socram, May 20, 7:22am
When you work from home, you need to get out or go stir crazy - unless you have clients to visit.Eating brunch out is affordable, but could be cut back if required.

Some drink gallons of beer or bottles of wine, some set fire to vegetation and inhale the smoke (I have never understood that one) and heaps spend needless money on text messaging or mobile phones, the pokies or gambling on the galloping dog meat.Other sad souls inject money into their veins for kicks or sniff expensive noxious brain damaging substances.

We have to eat and time is money, so eating a decent cheap basic daily meal out and enjoying a large coffee prepared by an expert, is one of life's luxuries, that I enjoy to the very last crumb or drop and will do as long as I can afford it and am mobile enough to get there.

socram, May 20, 9:13am
#22 - Birkenhead/Highbury.Hum cafe. You hum it, they'll cook it!!!

esther-anne, May 20, 9:18am
I'm on the North shore too-wouldn't mind knowing where you get your regular scrumptious sounding brunches!Ta!

pickles7, May 20, 9:26am
Scallop pies mmmmmm yum. We made "oyster n beef" pies, they were very popular. Never thought of SCALLOP pies , darn it.

janny3, May 20, 11:25am
I'm in!Where's this place!

aktow, May 20, 5:09pm
if you work out dollar for dollarwith other countries then nz is expensive for breakfast. i mean what can you buy with your dollar.my local breakfast place had a choiceof 25 different omelette's, all styles of cooked eggs as well as hamburgers etc.you choose by number,,i always got ham, scallops, American cheese andtomatoomelette withfried potato and onions,three pieces of soar dough bread. unlimited coffee , price $12.

wildflower, May 21, 3:34am
Or plan ahead and take food with you.I worked in a supermarket for 10 years, started at 5.30am onwards, took my food everyday.Obviously if you have the income it's no big deal to buy out but a lot of people are struggling these days and eggs on toast I thought would have been an affordable meal so I was somewhat shocked.

wildflower, May 21, 3:47am
We're talking 2 eggs on toast!!

lindanz, May 21, 4:03am
I pay around $8.50 for beautiful scrambled or poached eggs, with sourdough toast and basil pesto/chutney.No way would I pay over $10 for plain scrambled, when you can get eggs benedict with salmon for around $14.

kay141, May 21, 4:49am
The cost of the ingredients is a very minute part of the cost. Try adding, rent, rates, insurance, wages, electricity, tax, ACC levies, GST and that isn't all. And don't forget the ingredients you bought or stuff you madebut didn't sell so must eithergive or throw away because you aren't allowed to sell them.