Scrambled eggs at cafe....

Page 3 / 4
buzzy110, May 21, 5:20am
You are talking to the converted. I'd never leave home without a well stocked chilly bin, filled with food from my own kitchen. If I was diabetic, like the OP then I'd be even more conscious of the requirement to have a plentiful supply of food. However, sometimes I've been away from home for days and not had access to a properly stocked and equipped kitchen, nor the time to make food. In that case I have sometimes had to buy food and it is stink, the range of foods offered in NZ. Mostly it comes with some sort of bread, pastry, pasta, chips or rice and only teeny tiny bits of protein. Usually I visit a supermarket instead and buy cheese and tinned fish.

Two years ago, in Queenstown, the NW sold whole roasted legs of lamb for $35 and it was wonderful to sit on the lake shore tearing off pieces of meat, dipping them in the drippings that were sold with it, and drinking sparkling wine. We had lamb leftovers for our chilly bin for days after. Alas, meals like that are not usual.

wildflower, May 21, 5:26am
I tend to go for protein based stuff so normally end up at the supermarket, everything else is burgers, muffins etc.Though asian stuff has plenty meat/veg but I can't eat a big plate of that in the middle of the day.Usually end up with a carbless bar but that's not very exciting if you're out for the day.

nala2, May 21, 6:34am
In the original posting on the "cup of tea" mention was made of a voucher as part of the meal. In my experience here and overseas food vouchers are not worth the effort and very often lead to embarrassment. "I don,t know about that I will have to talk to the manager" sort of thing, we steer clear of them.

kay141, May 21, 7:05am
I thought the original post was about the cost and quality of the eggs purchased in a cafe, not whether we should buy them.
It must be nice to be so perfect as you seem to be Buzzy but I for one am not carting a chilly bin for a day at the zoo with a group of children. Especially when we use public transport and from here it is 2 buses and a train. It is enough to keep track of them without having luggage. And no, I am not telling their parents to pack one for each of them.

toadfish, May 21, 7:10am
I have to admit I cannot bring myself to pay for 2 eggs & 2 pieces of bread out anymore, mainly because I have breakfast out every week.
Its a tradition for me to cycle for 1 to 2 hours on a Saturday morning and then have breakfast with the cycling group at columbus.The last couple of months I have had 1 egg on 2 slices wholegrain bread before I go..a sports drink during the cycle... then I savour a large trim flat white and eat from my own container of almonds & dried apricotsin the cafe (discreetly lol) as I know I need to eat after excercise but cant justify the $10 to myself... That would pay for a huge bag of almonds... or a whole tray of eggs and a loaf of bread....

Now eggs benedict on a "date" breafast with hubby mmmm thats a whole different matter.....

lyl_guy, May 21, 7:23am
And I can't bring myself to pay for eggs in a cafe any more either!We have 4 lovely laying hens who provide us with wonderful eggs daily... more than enough to provide for baking, scrambled eggs, poached eggs (my fave) and to swap with friends for veges!!These days, I buy anythingBUT eggs, lol!
And Buzzy... your roast lamb and sparkling wine sounds absolutely DIVINE!!!!!!

pickles7, May 21, 8:06am
Is there a ZOO in Picton ?

socram, May 21, 9:13am
#22 - Birkenhead/Highbury.Hum cafe. You hum it, they'll cook it!Check out the cabinet too.Scallop pies anyone!

Wildflower - retail buying and raw materials has little relation to final costs. Rates, rents, wages, electricity washing up and crockery, tables and furnitureetc all cost money - even having an Eftpos terminal or accepting Visa costs the cafe owner. Charge your own time out at $1 a minute and see how much your home cooked food costs!

wildflower, May 22, 3:47am
We're talking 2 eggs on toast!

kay141, May 22, 4:49am
The cost of the ingredients is a very minute part of the cost. Try adding, rent, rates, insurance, wages, electricity, tax, ACC levies, GST and that isn't all. And don't forget the ingredients you bought or stuff you madebut didn't sell so must eithergive or throw away because you aren't allowed to sell them.

buzzy110, May 22, 5:20am
You are talking to the converted. I'd never leave home without a well stocked chilly bin, filled with food from my own kitchen. If I was diabetic, like the OP then I'd be even more conscious of the requirement to have a plentiful supply of food. However, sometimes I've been away from home for days and not had access to a properly stocked and equipped kitchen, nor the time to make food. In that case I have sometimes had to buy food and it is stink, the range of foods offered in NZ. Mostly it comes with some sort of bread, pastry, pasta, chips or rice and only teeny tiny bits of protein. Usually I visit a supermarket instead and buy cheese and tinned fish.

Two years ago, in Queenstown, the NW sold whole roasted legs of lamb for $35 and it was wonderful to sit on the lake shore tearing off pieces of meat, dipping them in the drippings that were sold with it, and drinking sparkling wine. We had lamb leftovers for our chilly bin for days after. Alas, meals like that are not usual.

wildflower, May 22, 5:26am
I tend to go for protein based stuff so normally end up at the supermarket, everything else is burgers, muffins etc.Though asian stuff has plenty meat/veg but I can't eat a big plate of that in the middle of the day.Usually end up with a carbless bar but that's not very exciting if you're out for the day.

toadfish, May 22, 7:10am
I have to admit I cannot bring myself to pay for 2 eggs & 2 pieces of bread out anymore, mainly because I have breakfast out every week.
Its a tradition for me to cycle for 1 to 2 hours on a Saturday morning and then have breakfast with the cycling group at columbus.The last couple of months I have had 1 egg on 2 slices wholegrain bread before I go.a sports drink during the cycle. then I savour a large trim flat white and eat from my own container of almonds & dried apricotsin the cafe (discreetly lol) as I know I need to eat after excercise but cant justify the $10 to myself. That would pay for a huge bag of almonds. or a whole tray of eggs and a loaf of bread.

Now eggs benedict on a "date" breafast with hubby mmmm thats a whole different matter.

lyl_guy, May 22, 7:23am
And I can't bring myself to pay for eggs in a cafe any more either!We have 4 lovely laying hens who provide us with wonderful eggs daily. more than enough to provide for baking, scrambled eggs, poached eggs (my fave) and to swap with friends for veges!These days, I buy anythingBUT eggs, lol!
And Buzzy. your roast lamb and sparkling wine sounds absolutely DIVINE!

pickles7, May 22, 8:06am
Is there a ZOO in Picton !

womp_womp_music, May 26, 1:59am
yes its called the Picton court house....

pickles7, May 26, 3:32am
womp_womp_music wrote:
yes its called the Picton court house....[/quote
lol.

buzzy110, May 26, 5:00am
Kay why just pick on me. I was responding to wildflower's posts that food from home is cheaper and superior. Have a go at her. However, if not bothering to pack your own lunch, and spending lots of money buying healthy food is what spins your crank, that is fine. I have no problems with that. Wildflower and I were just pointing out thatthere are options to buying second rate, overpriced cafe food. Also, I am supposing that poster #1 had actually driven to Picton, and therefore could easily have opted to provide herself with food from her own kitchen.

patsy3, May 26, 8:05am
I don't normally choose scambled eggs, but was in Aucks and went to the Fridge in Kingsland, and had Scambled egss...OMG... I am a good cook, but this was the most fabulous I have ever tasted. I was with great friends, a couple of cups of coffee, it's about the experience. I'm happy to pay for that.
I'll take a manky packed lunch for me an the kids, but I will fork out the extra for my adult fun, which of course includes food and friends.

korbo, May 26, 9:16am
buzzy110...
.No I had not driven to Picton,from my home.(on holiday)
we arrived in picton at 6.45am(after leaving Blenheim at 6.00am) and our ferry was delayed by 2hrs. as I am a diabetic, I could not wait to have breakfast on the ferry after 10am.so that was why we had to find some place to eat, and that was the only one we could find....

womp_womp_music, May 27, 1:59am
yes its called the Picton court house.

norse_westie, May 27, 2:14am
Redwoods in Swanson. Very nice food, lovely staff and service.

janny3, May 27, 3:05am
Hope he took the rest away for snacks.

pickles7, May 27, 3:32am
womp_womp_music wrote:
yes its called the Picton court house.[/quote
lol.

buzzy110, May 27, 5:00am
Kay why just pick on me. I was responding to wildflower's posts that food from home is cheaper and superior. Have a go at her. However, if not bothering to pack your own lunch, and spending lots of money buying healthy food is what spins your crank, that is fine. I have no problems with that. Wildflower and I were just pointing out thatthere are options to buying second rate, overpriced cafe food. Also, I am supposing that poster #1 had actually driven to Picton, and therefore could easily have opted to provide herself with food from her own kitchen.