Defrosting Ikg of silverside corned Beef

calista, Oct 22, 2:05am
I've used the search function and come up with how to cook the corned beef, but I need to have some idea of how long it will take to defrost.I did note some suggested cooking it frozen, but I don't feel comfortable doing that.
TIA

carlosjackal, Oct 22, 2:07am
I would wait until it's defrosted before cooking it. How long has it been out of the freezer and how big a piece is it!

calista, Oct 22, 2:14am
x1
It's 1kg.My question is about how long it will take to defrost in the fridge.

Thanks.

seniorbones, Oct 22, 2:30am
I usually take out the night before and leave on the bench to thaw and cook in the crock pot that morning to cook all day. But if you want to boil it and thaw in the fridge I would take out 2days before I wanted to cook it.

uli, Oct 22, 2:41am
In the fridge it will take over night.
On the bench it will take 5 to 10 hours depending on your room temperature.

mwood, Oct 22, 2:54am
x1
cover in water and cook from frozen = no risk of infections

uli, Oct 22, 3:03am
Not advisable in a crockpot though - the icy cold meat touching the sides could crack the crock!

mwood, Oct 22, 3:04am
as usual you talk a lot of nonsense

uli, Oct 22, 3:08am
As usual you have no idea about the difference of 100 degrees on a crock :)
I know it is physics which is not taught in NZ schools until 6th or 7th form .
But DO try it out one day and enjoy the mess!

mwood, Oct 22, 3:39am
I have done this numerous times - you are the person displaying your ignorance - perhaps you confuse it with your arrogance !

uli, Oct 22, 3:42am
mwood: About Me: "Why would I want to be normal! That would be setting my sights way too low . . ."

dezzie, Oct 22, 3:59am
If you are worried about it cracking the crockpot, I'd just sit it on an upsidedownsaucer in the bottom of the container first.
We are not particular fans of corned beef, but when we were getting homekill (and before I figured out silverside could be made into weiner schnitzel instead of corning it)I always cooked it from frozen, but in a pot, so thats not a lot of help.

rainrain1, Oct 22, 4:02am
I would do this.and also there is nothing wrong with cooking corned meat in crockpot from frozen.I do it all time

calista, Oct 22, 4:09am
Didn't mean to start WWIII, but in this instance I'm with Uli - the instructions that came with the crockpot say cooking frozen meat in it could lead to the inner being cracked and I am not willing to risk one of my favourite appliances.

Anyway - thanks for the help.

rainrain1, Oct 22, 4:14am
Mines not allowed to crack, I tell it not to ;-))

pickles7, Oct 22, 4:18am
I would not cook it from frozen in a crock pot any way. You could use your microwave to defrost it.
Corned beef is one meat I don't mind being cooked in the microwave myself. try that.

nik12, Oct 22, 7:21am
x1
I put the frozen meat into the cold crockpot.The put the water in (usually warm out of the jug).
I can see how putting frozen meat into a hot crock pot could cause a problem them.
Neither Mum or I have even defrosted a cornbeef first, so that's at least 30 years of cooking them :-)

uli, Oct 22, 7:57am
Huh calista - you are 'with me' - really!
Feeling humbled .

uli, Oct 22, 7:58am
great if that works .

maggimae, Oct 23, 5:46am
I always cook my sliverside from frozen in the crockpot.have had no problem in the many years of cooking it.water is cold.on high for an hr or 2 then down to low for rest of cooking time.

deus701, Oct 23, 6:14am
I used to defrost 20kg block of sirloin under running water. Like a poster suggested, submerge the block of silverside in a deep bowl or bucket of water. When if you feel the water is colder than room temperature, change the water until the meat has been defrosted.

52many, Oct 23, 6:19am
Shyte this means I've lived on the wild side for over 15 years with my beloved croccy.

calista, Oct 23, 9:34am
Sorry Uli = re-read that amd it sounds patronising, which wasn't myintention.Sometimes I post quickly. rather than carefully.

macandrosie, Oct 24, 6:18am
I agree with 'mwwod'. I have cooked meat many times from frozen straight into the slow cooker. It is absolutley fine. uli needs to try it for themselves!