How to make salads more filling?

Page 2 / 2
dgriffnz, Sep 24, 1:02am
I chop up some carrots, yams, parsnips, pumpkin and onion and roast them in a small amount of olive oil and keep them in the fridge. They are really good over a salad (that's if you like cold roasties.). I usually get about five days out of a roasting tray of veg.

tarshlove, Sep 24, 1:28am
Lettuce, tomato, cheese, onion, beetroot, avo, egg, little bits of bacon, home made croutons,dressing if you like (honey mustard) Nuts and seeds.

Edit: And canned chicken as I don't like fish lol

suzanna, Sep 24, 2:03am
Drinking and eating is an absolute to weight gain- makes for 'slider foods' which make you hungry again sooner rather than later. A no brainer.

sarahb5, Sep 24, 2:16am
Huh!

strebor1, Sep 24, 2:54am
Can you explain! We are supposed to drink heaps of water everyday, are you saying that causes weight gain!

sarahb5, Sep 24, 3:00am
Glad I'm not the only one who was confused by that!I drink about 2 litres of water a day but if I'm feeling hungry at unexpected times (ie. an hour or so after eating a meal) then I will have a big glass of water and wait 20 minutes.If I'm still hungry I will have a snack of either fruit or raw vegetables but that rarely happens.I tend to eat fairly regularly throughout the day - roughly 6 hourly

buzzy110, Sep 24, 5:35am
There are many vegetables that can be used in a salad, apart from the usual salad suspects. Here is a comprehensive list of the 'other' vegetables that can also be added, and all of them can be eaten raw and they are very filling:

Beetroot, radish (French and daikon), courgette, Red onion, Ginger, Capsicum (not green unless you like eating unripe fruit), cucumber, mushrooms, celery, carrot, baby bakchoy, cauliflower.

I make my salads using the usual suspects as well as all or any of the above. I also would avise learning how to preserve lemons because they will make any salad taste divine.

The most pertinent advice I follow is:

1. To NOT USE SWEETENED DRESSING or any high carb vegetable (usually cooked potatoes, carrots, parsnip, kumara, etc) because that is why you feel hungry after an hour or so.

2. Dress and toss your salad with a good quality EV oil such as olive, avocado, macadamia nut or any other nut oil. The oil will slow digestion and help you feel satiated for hours.

I am down to a not-so-simple salad and a handful of protein for breakfast now and I am usually told by my DH that it is "2pm and shouldn't we be eating lunch or something". I hate that because I am never hungry.

karenz, Sep 24, 5:41am
I make a spinach, bacon and avocado salad that is a meal in itself.Fry streaky bacon until it is crisp.Rub the inside of a salad bowl with a cut piece of garlic, toss baby spinach leaves into it.Cube an avocado by carefully slicing into cubes with a small sharp knife while it is still in the skin, then sprinkling a little lemon juice over, toss these in with the spinach leaves, halve cherry tomatoes, sprinkle with a little salt and add those.Just before you serve crumble up the bacon (preferably warm) add to the spinach along with a little olive or avocado oil and toss.

motorbo, Sep 24, 5:52am
if adding feta.or any cheese for that matter, be aware that if your trying to lose weight the amount of cheese you add is very small indeed, hence something like tuna is often better

perle, Sep 24, 6:04am
I make the yummiest salad with cous cous- parsley-red onion- tomato- garlic- lemon juice- roasted almonds. Delish and very filling I serve on top of a snack size wrap and pile it up with mesculan lettuce- carrot etc. For a main meal add grilled chicken, yummo

gerry64, Sep 24, 7:11am
cookessentials introduced me to orzo - can add all sorts for a really yummy salad

familychch, Sep 25, 8:34am
Quinoa