Salads

valerie66, Oct 6, 6:16pm
Hi guys.Was wondering if anyone out there has some great cold salad recipes.Husband and I are opening a shop soon and we want to include takeaway salads.I'm looking for some exciting tasty recipes.Thanks so much.

margyr, Oct 6, 6:32pm
Good luck with your shop. make sure the dressings are tasty, and that you have some onion in some of your salads, also that you use fresh salad greens, some are so wilted it is a joke. I make loads of salads but one of the favourites with my guests is; Kumara, cook the kumara in small cubes, cook some bacon in butter and salt and pepper, chop capsicum, onion and and orange finely. Dressing is mayo, sour cream pour the bacon and butter into this and mix then gently stir through the rest of ingredients.

margyr, Oct 6, 6:35pm
I read one on here the other day that used silverbeet sliced very finely and had a vinegraitte dressing, it sounded yum. If you type salad in the search box just on the left, it is headed Message Board, and then in the date posted click on the little arrow and then on anytime, then click search you will finds heaps of other recipes.

valerie66, Oct 6, 9:19pm
thanks for the info

beaker59, Oct 6, 11:50pm
One I just had for lunch,

Grated carrot and apple with finely chopped fresh corriander and finely chopped Shallot greens then chunks of avocado and a boiled egg roughly chopped. Sometimes I have it with fried bacon pieces I throw some unflower and pumkin seeds in and toast with the bacon in the pan.

samiamnz, Oct 7, 1:46am
Thai Beef salad

Med/rare cooked sliced steak
Cucumber chunks
Tomatoe chunks
Thinly sliced crunchy slightly sour apple
Bunch of fresh corriander
Red onion sliced
Dressing-Fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and pinch of dried chilli flakes

samiamnz, Oct 7, 1:51am
Pasta with pesto and feta

Cooked cold pasta 500gm
Homemade pesto-can be basil or parsley or what you like 6-10 Tbsps
Feta cheese 200grms cubed
Pea shoots or baby spinach leaves few handfuls
Toasted walnuts/pecans, or pine nuts couple of handfuls
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive Oil to get 'texture' in mouth right!

samiamnz, Oct 7, 1:53am
Satay chicken noodle

Cold roasted chicken shredded
Crispy noodles
Red pepper sliced
Sping onions sliced
Cucumber chunked
Firm banana sliced in rounds
Satay dressing (watties bit on the side is perfect!)- Otherwise make your own with crunchy peanut butter, soya sauce, sugar, and chilli, thin with bit of water.

samiamnz, Oct 7, 1:56am
Greek Salad

Feta cheese 200-300grms
Kalamata Olives-couple of handfuls
Punnet of cherry tomatoes halved
1-2 hothouse cucumbers cubed
Mixed Salad leaves
Dress with basalmic and olive oil plus fresh pepper and some oregano to taste.

valerie66, Oct 7, 4:14am
Oh my god, I am getting hungry now, thanks so much, they sound delicious

nauru, May 13, 3:11am
Curried Chickpea Salad.

Can chickpeas drained or 2 cups cooked chickpeas, 1/2 red onion or 1 spring onion finely chopped , 1/2 red pepper diced, 1 garlic clove finely chopped, salt & pepper to taste, 2 tablsp mayonnaise, 2 tablsp sour cream, 1 teasp curry powder, 1/2 teasp gd cumin, 1 tablsp fresh coriander chopped. Mix all ingredients together and put in dish and chill until required. Also good to do day before & chill overnight.