Looking for some wow factor salads and Dressings

Page 1 / 2
earth_moon, Jun 12, 7:49pm
Just bumping.

alig65, Jun 12, 10:30pm
Anna Olson (Canadian I think) did a nice salad yesterday, it had sweetcorn, blueberries, and capsicum but unfortunately I cannot remember the rest but it looked delish!

bev00, Jul 9, 10:53am
Balsamic vinegar boiled with fruit concentrate until thickish.

lynja, Jul 9, 7:14pm
A seconder for the Japanese roasted sesame dressing daisyhill. Small bottle but a little goes a long way. Down to $4.80ish at our supermarket this week, so buying a couple of extras.

aktow, Jul 10, 4:53am
pasta salmon salad

any type of pasta, tin pink salmon, sliced tom, sliced raw mushrooms, chopped parsley, salt pepper, sliced spring onions,, diced red or green onions.
directions
place all in bowl and add thick mayonnaise,,, mix well, i use american style,, i think its pams. optional sliced capsicums,

aktow, Jul 10, 4:59am
carrot sultanas and mint sauce salad,

grated carrot, add sultanas, grated coconut ,,season , mix in mint sauce,

optional coconut,

aktow, Jul 10, 5:01am
curry rice salad,,

cooked rice, add pineapple pieces, curry spice, sultanas, chopped parsley, salt and pepper,, add lots of thick mayonnaise

uli, Oct 29, 2:59am
bump for BBQ time

tinkagirl, Oct 29, 5:33am
Got this one in Raro a few years ago

Hot potato mint salad

boiled new potatoes until tender but not falling apart
1/2 cup mayo approx (I use best coz its the best)
1/4 approx mint sauce (or to taste)
salt and pepper

Mix mayo, sauce and seasonings and pour over hot potatoes, now I am hungry.

kclu, Oct 30, 4:06am
Torn up lettuce or your choice of greens, cubes of fresh pear and blue cheese, chopped cooked chicken and halved roasted almonds. Toss with balsamic dressing before serving.

bev00, Nov 17, 10:41am
It's not a coleslaw dressing but this is a yummy curry mayonaise that should work (original recipe has it mixed through a cooked chicken, grape and apple salad):

Curry Mayonaise
60g butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 teaspoons curry powder
1/3 cup mayonaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup cream
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
salt, to taste

Melt butter in a small pan. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes or until onion is soft. Stir in curry powder, cook 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to a small bowl. Add mayonaise, creams, juice, sugar and salt; mix well. Gently fold through salad (coleslaw).

ed65 (195 195 positive feedback) 10:41 am, Sat 16 Nov #2
Thankyou very much

rainrain1 (7 7 positive feedback) 11:46 am, Sat 16 Nov #3
1 T fruit chutney,
1/2 c natural yoghurt,
1 t curry powder
salt to taste.
mix. thin to desired contistancy with milk.

ange164 (263 263 positive feedback) 4:28 pm, Sat 16 Nov #4

beetle9, Nov 17, 10:27pm
Smoked chicken chopped into cubes,cooked coloured spiral pasta, spring onions(green bit), different coloured capsicums and a jar of kantong sweet and sour sauce all mixed together easy and yum!

dreamers, Nov 18, 3:36am
Blueberry Corn Salad
Yield: Serves 6-8
Simple summer salad with blueberries, sweet corn, cucumbers, cilantro, jalapeño, red onion, and a honey lime dressing.

ingredients:
6 ears fresh sweet corn, husked
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cucumber, sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

directions:
1. In a large pot, bring water to boiling. Add corn. Cook for 5 minutes, or until tender. When cool enough to handle, cut corn from the cobs. Discard cobs.

2. In a large serving bowl, combine corn, blueberries, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeno. To make the dressing, whisk together lime juice, oil, honey, cumin, salt, and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Note-you can make this salad a day in advance. It keeps well

I add red peppers instead of Jalapeño

sarahb5, Nov 18, 4:02am
I find my best salads are always the ones I've just kind of made up based on what I have available - last week I used Sunrice's brown rice & quinoa and added roasted pumpkin, red onion, spinach, feta and raisins with lemon juice and EVO.

arcane1315, Nov 18, 5:37am
Cous cous, let it go cold, then add chopped up capsicum, red onion, fresh corn off the cob, whatever else you want. I splashed sushi rice seasoning over it - yummy!

coolthree, Nov 24, 2:45am
Been given the job of preparing salads fof a BBQ of 50. Wanting to go out of the square alittle an ad some wow factor in salads and dressings. Some will need to be prepared the night before so won't be wanting too many micro leaves as the won't hold up.

Cheers for your help.

herself, Nov 24, 3:09am
Got to have this one!
Toadfishes Brown Rice Salad
1 cup brown rice
1 ¾ cup water
¼ cup soya sauce
½ onion finely chopped
Cook the rice in the water & when cooked & still hot add the soya sauce and finely chopped onions let cool (a couple of hours preferably overnight)
Add the following ~
1 red pepper chopped
2 Spring Onions
½ cup roasted peanuts
½ cup each of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds and sultanas.
Dressing:
¼ cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp honey
Mix and pour over salad. Mix well.
So delicious! Thanks Toadfish :)

245sam, Nov 24, 3:12am
This one is easy, popular and IMO needs to be made ahead

Alison Holst's TOMATO AND GARLIC PASTA SALAD
Dressing:
1 cup (250g) bottled or canned Garlic Pasta sauce
¼-½ cup olive oil
1 tbsp wine vinegar
1 tsp each of sugar and ground cumin
½ tsp each of salt and crumbled dried oregano

Mix all the ingredients in a food processor, or shake together in a screw-topped jar.

250g tortellini, spirals or other pasta shapes
2 spring onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
any or all of the following:-
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley; 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced; ¼-½ unpeeled, thin-skinned cucumber, cubed; drained whole kernel corn

Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling, lightly salted water, with a tablespoon of added oil, then drain it thoroughly. Take care not to under-cook or over-cook the pasta.
Stir about three-quarters of the dressing gently into the hot, drained pasta and leave to stand for at least 15 minutes (“I find it convenient to put the pasta and dressing in an unpunctured oven bag to mix and store it.” – A. Holst)
Refrigerate the salad until required for serving, then just before serving stir in the spring onions and any of the optional extra parsley and vegetables. Add a little of the remaining dressing if the salad needs it. :-))

bluemoonlily, Nov 24, 3:36am
Orzo Beetroot Feta salad
Looks pretty and can be prepared ahead, google for recipes but basically:
3/4 - 1 cup dried orzo (risoni) cooked
Beetroot - 2-3 parboiled, peeled and roasted 20-30mins OR canned baby beetroot chopped in halves or quarters
Almonds or walnuts - toasted in pan
Celery - sliced or diced
Parsley - chopped
Feta - crumbled in later

I put some lemon zest in too. Make a dressing with balsamic, olive oil, a teaspoon or two of wholegrain mustard, a clove of crushed garlic, bit of lemon juice if you wish and a little brown sugar to taste.
Toss dressing in to warm cooked pasta. Add veges, toss gently (pasta turns pink), stir in feta, nuts, parsley and lemon zest. Can use pumpkin if you don't like beetroot.

davidt4, Nov 24, 4:13am
This very simple cauliflower salad is from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and it is really easy and delciious. It is best made the day before and refrigerated.

Cauliflower, Tomato & Caper Salad (Hugh F-W)

serves 6 - 8

1 small caul
300g ripe tomatoes
2 tab capers, rinsed
3 tab ev olive oil
juice of ½ lemon
salt & pepper
parsley to garnish

Cut cauli into small florets, boil 2 min until just tender. Drain well.

Remove seeds from tomatoes, chop roughly, add to cauli. Add rest of ingredients, leave at room temp at least 1 hour to develop.

coolthree, Nov 24, 5:01am
thanks, some good ones keep em comming please

karenz, Nov 24, 5:25am
This is our favourite, you will need streaky bacon,avocado, cherry tomatoes, baby spinach leaves or a good mesclun mix, feta cheese, garlic, lemon juice, salt and olive oil
Fry the streaky bacon until it is crisp
cut the avocado into small cubes and squeeze lemon juice over them
halve the cherry tomatoes and sprinkle salt over them
cut the feta cheese into small cubes
rub the inside of a salad bowl with cut garlic, then crush the garlic and put it in a small container with the olive oil
Just before you want to serve put the salad leaves into the salad bowl and add the avocado, tomatoes and feta cheese, then add the olive oil (but not the garlic) and toss. Crush into small pieces and sprinkle the crispy bacon over the top.

litty2, Nov 24, 5:40am
Arabic Tuna Salad Ingredients:
 4 tomatoes cut into chunks
 2 Lebanese cucumbers, quartered and thickly sliced
 2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
 2 tbsp baby capers, rinsed and drained
 2 spring onions, sliced
 425 gm can of tuna in spring water, drained and flaked
 ¼ cup chopped parsley
 2 tbsp mint leaves
 4 black olives, chopped
Dressing:
 Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
 1 garlic clove, crushed
Method: Combine tomato, cucumber, celery, capers and onions in a serving bowl. Add tuna, parsley and mint. Before serving, drizzle the dressing over the salad. Toss well.

litty2, Nov 24, 5:42am
Here is another one by Leena Spices
Kiwi, Strawberry and Watermelon Salad
Ingredients:
 3 ripe kiwis, peeled and chopped
 ½ watermelon, chopped
 8 to 10 strawberries, chopped
 2 tbsp water
 2 tbsp honey
 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
 1 tsp red wine vinegar
Method: Combine ¼ cup chopped watermelon, water, honey, vinegar and ginger in a saucepan and mash until watermelon breaks down. Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Cool and strain, reserving juices. In a serving bowl, add kiwis, strawberries, watermelon and reserved fruit juice. Keep aside for 10 minutes. Serve chilled.

coolthree, Nov 24, 6:05am
yum guys, karen thats nice