Rice salads

baxter17, Jan 3, 12:08am
could i please have some ideas for rice salads

davidt4, Jan 3, 12:18am
Here is a nice plain one which goes well with almost all cold European meat and vege dishes.

Rice Salad with Rosemary

6 – 8

6c cooked rice (2 c uncooked)
2/3c olive oil
large clove garlic sliced
1 ½ tsp chopped rosemary
salt & pepper
(optional – 1 kg eggplant, capsicums diced and cooked in oil, capers, olives)

Simmer oil & garlic until garlic golden, discard garlic.Add rice and seasonings, stir until warm and oil absorbed.

Serve at room temperature.

malny, Jan 3, 12:41am
¾ cup cooked rice, 2 T oil, 1 t vinegar, 1 t curry powder, salt & pepper, 1 small chopped onion. Mix all together and chill for two hours. Add: 1 cup grated carrot, 1 cup cooked peas, 1 cup celery. ½ cup salad dressing. Optional small tin drained pineapple.

toadfish, Jan 3, 12:57am
Toadies "White Rice Salad"

Dressing: ¼ Cup Olive Oil, ¼ Cup White wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons curry powder, 1 teaspoon Sugar, Juice of 1 lemon. Mix the dressing up in a screw top Jar.

Put your leftover rice (or cooled rice) in a bowl and add what you fancy. I have added ½ cup (ish) of raisins, and about ¼ cup each of sunflower and pumpkin seeds. But you could add anything in the salad line. Tastes delish.... just let it stand for a while to let the rice soften... but tastes delicious already.

toadfish, Jan 3, 1:02am
Rice Salad From the boards (Not sure who posted it)

2 cups cooked rice, small can whole kernel corn i use the 440gm size, 1 red pepper,1 green pepper, spring onions, celery - all diced and 1 cup raisins (i also add pine nuts diced apricots and sometimes an orange pepper)

dressing: 1/4 cup malt vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp curry, mix together and add to above ingredients keep adding till all combined may not need all you can add other ingredients if you wish goes down a treat enjoy

baxter17, Jan 5, 3:12am
thanks for all those recipes that was just what i was looking for and i will try all of them

Toadies "White Rice Salad"

Dressing: ¼ Cup Olive Oil, ¼ Cup White wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons curry powder, 1 teaspoon Sugar, Juice of 1 lemon. Mix the dressing up in a screw top Jar.

Put your leftover rice (or cooled rice) in a bowl and add what you fancy. I have added ½ cup (ish) of raisins, and about ¼ cup each of sunflower and pumpkin seeds. But you could add anything in the salad line. Tastes delish. just let it stand for a while to let the rice soften. but tastes delicious already.

bev00, Dec 25, 10:00am
Courtesy of Valentino

Also one that is completely different but a real refreshing to have.

**** Wild Rice Salad ****

This is lovely and something totally different yet very nice.

Now if one is using a mix of Wild rice then the cooking time is altered to say about 35 to 40 minutes mainly as some variety will get pretty close to being overcooked whilst the black wild rice will just be al dente, that is just biteable to taste.

1 Cup Wild Rice (preferably all black rice but a blended mix is very nice also),
2 large unpeeled red apples diced,
1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar,
1 tablespoon brown sugar,
2 celery stems chopped,
½ cup plain yoghurt, and
¼ cup thick creamy mayonnaise.

Put the rice into 3 cups of boiling water salted to taste on a heavy saucepan.
Simmer covered for 50 – 60 minutes or just until the kernels puff open.
Remove lid and fluff up with fork.
Simmer for an extra 5 minutes.
Drain rice.

If done in a Preassure Cooker, for black wild rice, allow 15 to 20 minutes on high, then release and cool then drain rice.
(My Preassure Cooker is a "Fagor Duo" comes with a S/S steamer basket, ideal for cooking rice, keeps it off the bottom of cooker).

bev00, Dec 25, 10:02am
Fab tasting and easy to make for summer BBQs, theres just something about the combination of flavours,
Ingredients•1 1/2 cups cooked rice
•Dressing ingredients:
•1/2 cup white vinegar
•1/2 cup rice bran oil (or similar)
•3 tblsp brown sugar
•2 tsp curry powder
•1 tsp cumin
•Add ins:
•1 large red onion (finely chopped)
•1/4 raisins
•1 cup corn kernals
•2 or 3 sticks Celery(finely chopped)
Directions: Combine dressing ingredients and stir till brown sugar is dissolved.Add to rice and then add the remainder of ingredients.Make an hour or two before you serve to let the flavours develop

kuaka, Dec 25, 11:22am
I can vouch for this one.Used it a few weeks ago, first time I've ever made a rice salad and it was really good.

pickles7, Dec 25, 9:06pm
Sounds nice.

kuaka, Dec 25, 9:12pm
I didn't put the celery or spring onions in as I didn't have any, but used ordinary onions finely chopped instead.I had intended to get red onions, but they were over $6 kg at the supermarket and the four square had sold out of them at $3.95 kg.

teddybear946, Dec 26, 1:34am
i have two recipes first one is tuna and rice salad cook rice rinse throughly,add a tin of tuna in water,then cheese 1 cup or moreif liked, tomatoes to taste, i use 6 chopped up fine or chunks whatever, and a half of a onion chopped mix all together add pepper and salt if liked. chill yummy. 2nd recipe creamed rice recipe- 2 cups rice, then powderedmilk 2 litres, flavouring to taste. boil slowly stir every so often, add sugar to taste.and thickens,ready in a couple hrs much beter than in the tin.i just remembered another recipe rice and meat- fry steak in cubes when brown cover in water, add 2 cans of peas, and soy sauce round about half of a small bottle. cook till tender ,2 hrs serve with rice delish.

Toadies Brown Rice Salad

1 cup brown rice 1 3/4 cup water 1/4 cup soya sauce (light if available) 1/2 onion finely chopped Cook the rice in the water & when cooked & still hot add the soya sauce and finely chopped onions let cool(a couple of hours preferably overnight)

Add the following ~ 1 red pepper chopped 1/2 cup roasted peanuts chopped 1/2 cup each of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds and sultanas. Dressing: 1/4 cup olive oil 2 tbsp lemon juice 1 tsp grated lemon rind 1 clove garlic crushed 1 tsp fresh ginger 1 tsp honey or sugar. Mix and pour over salad

bev00, Dec 25, 11:51am
yum yum