Top 3 gourmet salads for a large crowd (50)

Page 1 / 2
meadze1, Jan 3, 6:57am
x1
Whats your best interesting salads for a large dinner crowd?
I once had a beetroot and strawberry one but have never seen the recipe.I need some salads that I dont need to prepare at the last minute as I will have enough to do. Look forward to your catering ideas.

duckmoon, Jan 3, 7:07am
roast vege salad;
or potato salad;
or bean salad;
tomato, feta and basil salad
egg salad...
kumera and orange salad...

When you have an idea what you want to cook - let me know, I have a recipe book which has the quantities for 50 peopl.e

cookessentials, Jan 3, 7:11am
I made Annebel Langbeins green leaf salad with walnuts and blue cheese with a lovely dijon dressing. You roast the walnuts in the oven. It was delicious.

ant_sonja, Jan 3, 7:28am
Don't know about gourmet but how about roast pear Salad with Walnuts & Gruyere or Blue cheese?

This recipe here is pretty straight forward and you can adapt it to suit:
http://www.suite101.com/content/roasted-pear-salad-a33326

Tonight I made a Salad out of roughly torn spinach leaves (you could use the baby variety), orange segments, Strawberries, finely sliced onion rings and Emmenthal Cheese. The dressing was made from raspberries, Apple cider vinegar, Olive oil & Salt & Pepper. I also added fresh chives and parsley.

You could also make a really nice Greek or Caesar Salad using only the best ingredients to up the ante sort of speak.

Those are just off the top of my head but might give you some ideas.

meadze1, Jan 3, 9:12am
Would love the orange and Kumara one, and the roast vege

kiwifidget, Jan 3, 9:31am
I was at a do last week where a lady brought a kumara and banana salad. It was yummy, but unfortunately she left before I could beg the recipe off her. The dressing had hints of coconut and curry.

gardie, Jan 3, 5:38pm
I've made that = slice the bananas thickly - coat in lemon juice.Makea curry mayonaise - butter in pan, add curry and stir to heat, remove from heat then stir in some good store brought mayonnaise.Pour this over cooked kumara and banana peices.I don't use coconut but if you particularly want this, you could add some coconut to the dressing or perhaps use some coconut milk to thin it down.

toadfish, Jan 3, 5:53pm
Toadfishes Brown Rice Salad

1 cup brown rice
1 3/4 cup water
1/4 cup soya sauce (light if available)
1/2 onion finely chopped

Cook the rice in the water & when cooked & still hot add the soya sauce and finely chopped onions let cool (a couple of hours preferably overnight)

Add the following ~
1 red pepper chopped
2 Spring Onions
1/2 cup roasted peanuts chopped ( I leave them whole)
1/2 cup each of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds and sultanas.

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp honey or Sugar

Mix and pour over salad.Mix well.

If you are having lots of other salads I would triple this recipe for 50 people.

I recently catered for 40.

We had
Brown Rice Salad
Pasta Salad
Green Salad
coleslaw.

We had far too much left over.... Depends on the "type" of people attending... big eaters vesus sparrows.

wingee, Jan 3, 7:02pm
SAme, but I combined her salad suggestions, ie, orange, cherry tomatoes, advocado and feta into one salad, I also put a hint of red onion in too with her Dijon dressing and it was devine.........

kiwifidget, Jan 3, 11:06pm
Thanks, thats excellent.

liamjosh, Jan 4, 1:57am
This recipe is the bomb, even better the day after and then the day after that so can be made in advance.I also find the kumera, bacon and orange salad better the next day as well.

meadze1, Jan 4, 9:36pm
Anyone got the orange and kumara recipe?

bunny12, Jan 4, 9:54pm
I went to a bbq years ago and someone brought the following kumera salad. I have made it countless times since and people always comment on it and come back for more:

A couple of kumera - boiled, cooled, cubed.
Tin of apricots - drained, chopped.
Mix together with thick (got to be the thick variety) mint sauce.

Great made the day before and just increase for larger numbers, it sounds weird but tastes great and - so easy!

trader125, Jan 5, 2:59am
pesto prawn salad ,so quick & easy
just use pams or any fresh pasta(fettatunie)sorry cant spell)
cook
add chopped goat feta
packet prawns
chopped corriander
chopped cherry tomatoes
chopped cucumber
and finally stir/mix in pesto(basil/corriander or rocket whatever )
so quick & yummy & goes along way

trader125, Jan 5, 2:59am
a type of orzo /risoni salad they go along way as well

fluffybunny2, Jan 5, 11:52am
Couscous salad is really good for preparing ahead of time, fresh flavour w chopped herbs, lemon and pinenuts.

kiwibubbles, Jan 5, 7:28pm
watermelon and cucumber salad is another good one

goldengirl7, Jan 5, 7:49pm
Grated carrot salad with shredded coconut and sultanas, with a balsamic/oil dressing.Get a helper to grate the carrots for you.It goes a long way and is quite economical.

naki45, Jan 5, 8:05pm
I used to make the Kumera and Orange salad, 500gm pre boiled kumera chopped with thin orange slices of one orange(cut crosswise and skin still on) and half an onion cut into thin slices. About 1/4c fresh chopped parsely. Ground black pepper. Now the dressing was Oil and Vinegar, cut remember exactly what measurements.
Have a mate coming today who used to make this in large amounts for catering will ask then post again later, if noone else has.

Egg salad always goes down well and so easy. I usually use 1doz eggs(family 5, but always some left over) 2-3 finely chopped celery sticks. tub of sour cream and enough mayo until it is at the consistancy you like it. I mix in enough curry powder to my liking with a few tablespons mayo then mix through salad, better made at least 5-6 hours before you need it.

And you can't beat a good pasta salad, there are so many variations.
Or a greek type salad. Mmmm love my salads lol

naki45, Jan 5, 8:07pm
Used to do a similar type salad, when I was cooking in a bistro. It was grated carrot, grated cheese, sultanas and french dressing to mix. Sometimes I would add a little finely chopped red onion if I was making it just for us. Quite a nice little salad as an extra to a big green salad.

cottagerose, Jan 6, 8:04am
I make an orange and kumera salad.

dice up an orange,add cooked diced kumera and slithers of raw red onion then add honey mustard dressing to taste

garfeild101, Jan 6, 12:06pm
Um Feta, tomatoe, Bacon, lettuce, cucumber, avocado and chicken pieces with balsamic vinegirette

terraviva1, Jan 6, 8:45pm
Watermelon, a little red onion, mint and feta.

Dress with 2parts rice wine vinegar, 1 part sweet chilli sauce reduced by 1/2 (adjust seasoning to taste, a bit of lime is nice).
You can dress this up to 1 hour in advance, just don't crush the feta.

nachonz, Jan 7, 6:17am
kumera and pineapple pie is great and can be served hot or coldjust add a tin of crushed pineapple to mashed kumeracover with grated cheese and grillalways goes down a treat

rainrain1, Jan 8, 3:03am
This is quite nice and easy to make

2 cups shell pasta
1 onion chopped
1 small green pepper cubed
1 cucumber cubed
2 tomatoes cubed

Mix 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar