library. and Jamie Oliver makes lots of salads, and Annabel Langbein

family007, Nov 25, 12:26am
Vicky's Spud Salad.

500g whole baby gormet spuds
4 eggs hard boiled
5 stalks celery sliced diagonally
1 cucumber sliced thinly
3 large tomatoes. cut into quarters

Cook spuds whole until just tender and cut in half, cool.
Too this add the rest of the ingredients.
Toss with Homebrand Potato Salad Dressing or you could add mayonnaise with the addition of freshly chopped mint.

bev00, Dec 9, 10:56am
Green Salad Dressing from The Wholemeal Cafe in Takaka

1 large handful of flat-leafed parsley
1 small handful of other green herbs like basil, rosemary, tarragon, mint or sage (anything green works!)
1/2C cider vinegar
3-4 pickled gherkins
2 cloves of peeled garlic
1Tblspn mustard
1 medium cucumber
1tspn salt
4 leaves of silverbeet
1/2 to 1C olive oil or any other good quality oil

Place all ingredients apart from the oil in the food processor and blend into a smooth paste.
With the machine still running, slowly add the oil and blend until it is well emulsified to a thick, creamy sauce.

This deliciously creamy salad dressing is rich, velvety and pungent. I use any number of fresh herbs and any green veges which gives scope for individual improvisation.

Quotewinnie231 (142 ) 12:49 pm, Thu 2 Dec #2
Avocado dressing

1 ripe avocado
3 Tblspn lemon juice
2 Tblspn quality oil (I like using avocado oil for this)
1/2-1 sml clove of garlic - peeled
1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper & chilli powder

Blend all together. Increase the liquids a little if it's too thick for your liking.

Quotewinnie231 (142 ) 2:09 pm, Fri 3 Dec #3
Home made mayonnaise.

3 egg yolks, 3 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 heaped tsp dijon mustard - whizz together in food processor, slowly add 2 cups oil (rice bran/grapeseed) down the shute until all added. If the mayonnaise gets too thick prior to finishing adding the oil, add a little hot water before continuing to add in oil. S & P to taste. (Thanks ayglepaygle).

Quotegardie (403 ) 1:23 am, Sat 4 Dec #4
Honey Mustard Dressing
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup mustard (you can use half dijon if you like)
1/2 cup honey
Mix well.

Quotethreecheers (1575 ) 1:36 pm, Fri 9 Dec #14

daisyhill, Dec 9, 11:42am
This is probably a bit late, but Countdown [and other places] sells a deep roasted sesame dressing that is AMAZING and always gets compliments. It's great to have in reserve if you don't have the time, inclination, or skill to make your own equivalent :-) It's not cheap, usually $6.50 for a small bottle from the Japanese area of the international section, but I wouldn't be without it.

jimdouglas, Dec 10, 5:54am
Kumura Salad

2 large kumura,
3 spring onions, chopped
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
salt (to taste)
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts (optional)

Cook kumura in boiling salted water until just tender. Drain and leave to cool. Cut into 2.5cm cubes. Combine kumura and spring onions in a serving bowl. In another bowl combine Mayonnaise, sour cream, curry powder and salt to taste. Pour this onto the kumura, toss to coat. Garnish with walnuts if desired. Serves 4.

sandra25, Dec 10, 6:52am
Jo Seagar made this on good Morning last year - I have tried it, it's really impressive looking on a white platter and easy to doube/triple quantities if you are catering for a crowd.

Strawberry, Asparagus and Green Bean Salad
Ingredients
Salad
1 - 2 punnets strawberries
1 bunch (handful) thin asparagus spears
1 bunch green beans
2 handfuls baby rocket leaves
1 handful herbs - chives, chive flowers, mint leaves, parsley etc
Honey Rocket Dressing
Freshly ground black pepper
Dressing
2 tablespoons liquid honey
1 handful or large cup rocket leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cups soya or canola oil
Method
Salad
Hull the strawberries and roughly slice.
Place in a large salad bowl.
Bring a saucepan of water to the boil.
Trim the asparagus and slice into pieces.
Slice the green beans.
Plunge the asparagus and beans into the boiling water and stir for 30 - 40 seconds then drain in a colander.
Refresh under cold running water.
Add to the strawberries along with the rocket and herbs.
Toss with the dressing just prior to serving and spinkle generously with freshly ground black pepper.
Dressing
Place all ingredients, except the oil, in a blender and process until well combined.
With the blender running, pour the oil down the feed tube to produce a thick fresh green dressing.
If too thick, the dressing can be thinned with boiling water.

sossie1, Dec 10, 6:58am
I am a "lazy" cook
but I still like to provide something that is quite flash
so.
Roast an assortment of veges, season them well with salt and pepper.
you can have a few glasses of wine while this is happening

soak couscous in boiling water, and add chicken stock at the same time

once everything has cooled down, finely chop 2 cloves of garlic, and mix it all together with lemon juice, whatever fresh or dried herbs you have and season again until it tastes pretty damn fine!

edited to say, you can also add chopped olives, crumbled feta etc

jack_3, Dec 10, 8:17am
Prepare some couscous (I use chicken or vege stock with gluten free couscous), fluff up and add halved cherry tomatoes, feta and a handful of either parsley or basil (or both). Dress with: 1 part lemon juice to 2 parts oil, crushed garlic salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar (shake in a small jar and adjust to taste).

raebea, Dec 10, 9:45am
Orange & Onion Salad
peel & slice across a couple of onions & oranges, to keep them in rings,
pour over this dressing, into a cup put -1 teaspoon of salt, then fill to I/4 cup with sugar, then fill up to 1/2 with hot water, , stir well to dissolve then fill up to the top with vinegar, stir again & pour over the orange & onion, yummy.

tahnasha, Dec 10, 9:51am
I make this one all the time and it's a winner. So easy.

Fresh beetroot, or you can use whole from a can
Fresh cooked beans
Fresh cooked asparagus
Feta
Dress with balsamic vinegar

tahnasha, Dec 10, 9:55am
I cook this in bulk all the time and people always comment on it.

Bag of washed potatoes, cooked and cut into quarters
Dozen eggs cooked and quartered or sliced
Bunch of chives

Dressing
Jar of mayo - I liked the Paul Newman one, but I haven't been able to find it lately.
Punnet of sour cream
teaspoon of mustard, either whole or powdered

Mix it all up into the egg and potatoes.

cookessentials, Dec 10, 8:36pm
I do this salad regularly for us for dinner but it would be great for Christmas as it is so colourful and easy to do. In a large shallow serving bowl put a couple of generous handfuls of rocket.
Finely dice the following: tomatoes, telegraph cucumber, 1/4 red onion, yellow, orange and red baby peppers ( you can get the gourmet variety in packs) a bunch of asparagus ( get the fine one if you can and slice finely on the diagonal) avocado ( a couple should be enough) Season lightly and drizzle with lime infused olive or avocado oil and the juice of a lime, then mix through and toss well. The amount of diced vege is entirely up to you, but we like plenty of variety to stir through.

tarawera99, Dec 10, 9:13pm
Greek salad is pretty yummy. I just made one over the weekend. Googled the recipe. You can add pasta too.

colliers, Dec 10, 10:35pm
Easy potato salad - cook diced spuds until still slightly firm - add a mixture of sour cream and Italian Salad Dressing(the oil/vinegar one) and then just add some garnishing bits and pieces. Yummy and very quick.

dorothy_vdh, Dec 11, 1:16am
I tried 2 salads over the weekend that were a little different
grated carrot,carrot cheese with sweet mustard pickled mixed through to combine.
the other was so simple but delicious
raw cauliflower,mayonaise and toasted sesame seeds mix all together. If I was making it, I would just precook the cauli a little and let ot cool down

aktow, Dec 11, 7:43am
paw paw and chicken salad

all this is,,, the base. diced paw paw, walnuts, lots of diced chicken in a thousand island sauce,,
sometimes i add spring onions and sliced red onions, other times bell peppers.

molly37, Dec 11, 8:10am
Summer Prawn Salad
1 fresh Mango – peeled and cubed
1 Avocado – peeled and sliced
125 grams sliced Brie (or any soft cheese of your choice)
Salad greens
500 grams raw Prawns
1 tablespoon Soya Oil
3 tablespoons Sweet Chilli Sauce
1 teaspoon grated Green Ginger
1 clove crushed Garlic
Dressing: (place all ingredients in a lidded jar and shake well)
3 tablespoons Sweet Chilli Sauce
Juice of 2 Lemons or Limes
1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
1 tablespoon Peanut or Soya Oil
Marinate prawns in sweet chilli sauce, garlic and ginger for 1 hour. On a large platter make a bed of salad green, scatter over the mango cubes, avocado slices and brie slices.
Heat 1 tablespoon soya oil in a large fry pan and quickly sauté the prawns until they are pink and cooked through. Scatter the prawns over the salad platter and drizzle over the dressing.
Serve with sliced fresh Ciabatta bread.

macandrosie, Aug 5, 3:09am
Wow lots to choose from! Here's a Roast Vege Salad
Roast Pumpkin & Feta Salad
4 cups peeled, cubed pumpkin
3 tabs oil
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp minced garlic
2-3 red peppers, sliced
2-3 red onions cut in wedges
½ cup shredded basil or 2 tsp dried
250gr feta cheese
rock salt
Preheat oven to 200°c & place oil in roasting dish along with all veges & seasonings. Toss lightly to coat with oil . Cook for about 20 mins, checking pumpkin isn’t getting too mushy.
Dressing: ½ cup olive oil 1/8 cup white wine vinegar
1 tab balsamic vinegar 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
Place all these ingreds into a jar & shake well. When veges have cooled, crumble feta cheese over top, then pour dressing over. Top with a few basil leaves. Nice served warmed.

Orzo, Sun Dried Tomato & Hazelnut Salad
Dressing:
2 tsp minced garlic
¼ cup toasted hazelnuts
¼ cup tightly packed Italian parsley leaves (could try basil)
2 tabs white wine vinegar
¼ cup oil
1 tab brown sugar
Place all ingreds into a processor & blend until it forms a paste.
8-10 sundried tomato pieces
¼ cup black olives, halved
1 cup orzo pasta
70gr feta, crumbled
¼ cup toasted hazelnuts whole
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
Cook orzo then drain, rinse & set aside to cool. Place orzo pasta, tomatoes, olives, hazelnuts & feta into a bowl. Add dressing & fold through lightly to combine. Just before serving sprinkle over chopped hazelnuts, rock salt & freshly ground pepper.