How to make salads more filling?

Page 1 / 2
shaymusnz123, Sep 19, 11:41pm
I want to start eating more salads for lunch and dinner but find after an hour or two im already hungry again. What should I put in them to keep me full for longer! Thanks :)

sifty, Sep 19, 11:44pm
sausages.

frances1266, Sep 19, 11:45pm
You could add some pulses, they are filling i.e. kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils etc.

lilyfield, Sep 20, 12:20am
And a bit of grated cheese or even better cottage cheese

sarahw2, Sep 20, 12:32am
Hard boiled egg, tinned tuna, cheese chunks, cashews.

kirmag, Sep 20, 12:37am
In my salads I have lettuce, grated carrot, red onion, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, slivered almonds and a lil grated cheese.Then I get a small tin of lite tuna and mix thru it. (would have toms and capsicum too but too expensive atm)

YUM and fulling.

bedazzledjewels, Sep 20, 12:37am
Add protein to make it filling or use a mayonnaise dressing (protein once again).

sarahb5, Sep 20, 2:32am
Definitely either protein or pulses but make sure you drink plenty of water at the same time so you're not confusing hunger and thirst

village.green, Sep 20, 2:37am
Agree with the above. You need protein like tinned fish or cold chicken/beef etc. Cheese and hardboiled eggs good too. When I have a salad for lunch I always add protein otherwise like you I am not satiated. Taking some dressing in a separate container will help too, eg olive oil, vinegar, mustard shaken up in a little jar. I think salad is always nicer with a bit of dressing on.

kirmag, Sep 20, 2:55am
Also I get the lemon pepper or smoked tuna (pams do yummy lite ones) and that way I don't put dressing on cos the flavours from the tuna act like a dressing. well that and i've never been a fan of dressings.

carlosjackal, Sep 20, 3:03am
I make a Bean salad which I find more filling than a lettuce salad. I steam the beans and then drizzle a little sesame oil over them. Then I slice and add mushroom, red onions, radish, tomato, crumbled feta cheese, a little avacado and sometimes I add artichoke halves. Then I add a couple of tablespoons of Vinegrette dressing and mix through the salad. A very satisfying and delicious salad.

kirmag, Sep 20, 3:06am
YUM i'm so stealing that recipe. but just to be clear. green beans!

totara571, Sep 20, 3:31am
my hubby also takes a couple of pita pockets to put the salad into.fills him up he reckons

willyow, Sep 20, 3:35am
Chop us some avocado and throw it in

hestia, Sep 20, 3:40am
Are you eating enough carbohydrates with your meal!

carlosjackal, Sep 20, 4:20am
Yes, definitley green beans.

kirmag, Sep 20, 4:20am
Great!thank you, that's sounds delicious!

lythande1, Sep 20, 4:56am
Chips.

kinna54, Sep 20, 5:17am
Prawns, Chicken, tuna, salmon.croutons and pine nuts, crunchy noodles.
Potato salad (skin on chunky chopped spuds,) with chopped bacon, large pieces of hard boiled egg, celery or spring onions with a creamy ranch dressing, or potato, chunky chopped ham, cheese cubes etc:
Rice and pasta salads can be very filling. Are you looking for weight watchers options or just generally filling choices!
Wild rice or brown rice salads are yum and as long as light dressings are used are ok for the calorie count.
Pear and walnut salad, or one of my favourites, a beautiful Greek salad, served with a piece of poached chicken.

Keep away from the avocados if counting calories.

sarahb5, Sep 20, 6:48am
I love my Greek salad plain and simple with goat's milk feta - so tasty you don't need much cheese but definitely worth it - can't wait for fresh tomatoes to be affordable again!

kinna54, Sep 20, 6:57am
Ooh same. $13 kg at the mo, and so tasteless.I treated myself and bought one tomato. not worth it! I am going to grow them this year.

vinee, Sep 21, 5:01am
That lady on better homes and gardens did a tuna salad that had flat bread rolled and sliced into strips, then tossed in, um, oil and spices! and then fried til crispy. Added to tomato cucumber red onion and tuna and a dressing.
I didn't have all the flash ingredients for the dressing and what she tossed the bread in but just used plain oil and a mustard vinaigrette and it was real YUM!

tinawal, Sep 22, 9:53am
i baked large cubed kumara and add it cold to my salad

strebor1, Sep 22, 10:16am
A lot of people eat too quickly, they then don't get the full benefit of the food they are eating, and don't feel like they have had enough. Could this be you! A good guide, is that you should always leave the table feeling you have had sufficient, but not enough. We are all guilty of eating too much, so you haven't gotthis on your own. Add a vegetable,like golden kumara, or potato, but not too heavier dressings, as then the salad looses its healthy qualities.

angel361, Sep 23, 5:51am
If you like it you could try chop chop chicken or salmon - they sell both of these in small tins at the supermarket or you could buy a bigger cheapertin of salmon and half it and keep half for the next day.I agree and had the same problem and I used a small tin of tuna or chop chop chicken, avocado and a boiled egg on top to fill me up - hope this helps.