Breadmaker disaster

Page 2 / 3
sharrs, Aug 22, 1:00am
I agree with village.green about the amount of Surebake.I also check the mixture part way through mixing - often the amount of water needs adjusting a bit.The mixture should be smooth, and basically stay ball-shaped when it is being kneaded once the flour etc has been properly combined.Sometimes just a few extra mls of water can make all the difference especially if you have a lot of grains etc.I make a wholemeal/sunflower seed loaf most days and it while it is pretty consistent inside, the outer crust can be a bit bumpy if the water measurement was a bit off.I also keep in an bread bag or freezer bag but they never last more than 24 hours.

thq, Aug 22, 5:33am
OK I want make buns/bread but cook it in my oven what temp and how long PLEASE!

kinna54, Aug 22, 7:27am
thq. bake at 210-220c for 15-20 mins.depending upon the size of the buns. Have a good recipe if you require it.just trying to get my scanner to work, if I can I will post.if you hit search you may find it on here previously, under basic rolls or hot cross buns.

thq, Aug 22, 9:40pm
ok thanks kinna54 that will be good if u repost it.

thq, Aug 24, 1:41am
bump for recipe!

gerry64, Aug 24, 1:47am
I have a bag of White wings wholemeal plain flour - will this be OK in my breadmaker!

sarahb5, Aug 24, 1:48am
Yes, use it half and half with white high grade flour - that's what I do for this 5 seed loaf recipe

gerry64, Aug 24, 2:41am
cheers Sarah

kirmag, Aug 24, 2:55am
Would it not work if you used all wholemeal flour!or more of that then white!Does it need both!

Just curious cos I want to make a browner bread, will get some rye flour or whatever it is next time I go to the market but in the mean time. !

sarahb5, Aug 24, 3:05am
I think it would be too heavy for my taste with all wholemeal flour

kirmag, Aug 24, 3:07am
Hmmmm true.Ah well it's delicious so will keep making it til I do get some other ingredients for a yummy looking rye bread recipe I found.

sarahb5, Aug 24, 3:12am
Yeah I'd like to find something that could make a loaf similar to Ploughmans light rye although I think you need to add malt or something similar and I need to get some poppy seeds to add to the mix sometimes as well.

kirmag, Aug 24, 3:18am
The one I have found is a dark rye and you put cocoa in it and instant coffee!. strange but I like dark rye breads.

gerry64, Aug 24, 6:36am
do you have a recipe kirmagsounds intriguing coffee and cocoa-- getting addicted to trying new loaves

korbo, Aug 24, 9:46am
hi gerry, did you send the banana cake recipe.!

gerry64, Aug 26, 11:47pm
I googled and found a recipe for a chia loaf - what a flop -very uneven sunken top -have cut it and is not too bad but weird -birds will like it!
Anbody have a recipe I can trust!

sarahb5, Aug 27, 12:30am
I put chia in the 5 seed loaf recipe above

gerry64, Aug 27, 12:50am
cheers Sarah -have tried the 5 seed loaf and it was eaten like a flash by the family so will do another and include some chia - thanks

kirmag, Aug 27, 2:53am
Question re: Lecithin granules vs oil.

Would the lecithin make the bread not crumble so much when cutting it!Mine always seems to crumble at the top peak and the bottom around where the mixing bit comes out.Thanks :)

gerry - will post the recipe as soon as I get a chance to type it up. :)

sarahb5, Aug 27, 3:03am
It certainly seems to help - mine still crumbles a bit using the lecithin but not as much as when I was using oil.Interetingly though I use butter in my fruit bread recipe and there's much less crumbling with that than either lecithin or oil.

kirmag, Aug 27, 3:26am
Butter ay. that is interesting.Cool tho will try the lecithin stuff in my next loaf.

My bread slicer template thing arrived on Saturday. just in time for the freshly baked loaf for breakfast.Was good.Much better slices then door stops, but cos they're thinner the crumbling is worse.And I would like a medium sized cut.

sarahb5, Aug 27, 3:45am
My slicer hasn't arrived yet although it was sent on Thursday apparently and I have just made a very basic bread to go with soup for my lunch this week.I have run out of yeast but waiting to see if my daughter can get bigger jars of Surebake cheaper for me at Moore Wilsons.

kirmag, Aug 27, 11:21pm
Another question :) sorry.

What part of the supermarket do you find the lecithin granules!Had a look by the baking products yest but couldn't find anything. so must be looking in the wrong place.Also couldn't find any rye meal.Might have to go to Bin Inn for that !

sarahb5, Aug 28, 12:02am
I got my lecithin from the local organic shop - it was in the fridge.I haven't looked for rye meal so can't help you there.

gerry64, Aug 29, 10:44pm
I have made two white loaves in my breadmaker on the basic white loaf cycle but the tops of both have sunk - what do I need to do to fix that - any ideas please!