Panasonic breadmaker latest model (257)

wron, Jan 3, 11:15pm
Anyone got one?
A friend says they are highly rated in Consumer but theycommented on the long cycle - 5 hours. Is this for a normal white loaf which is 3 hours in my very old Panasonic? I know whole grain bread takes longer and wondered whether this was the 5 hours they were referring to?

cgvl, Jan 3, 11:35pm
A quick loaf takes about 4 hours in my Panasonic and a standard takes 5 hours. My MIL's is around the same.
Personally I dont like the quicker loaf as it doesn't have the same rise as the slightly longer loaf does. Same amount of ingredients just not the same size loaf.

Yes wholegrain bread does take longer again.

ibcreative, Jan 3, 11:59pm
The longer cycle actually means a better loaf of bread. I have a panasonic and have tried bread made in other breadmakers and the Panasonic bread is far superior.

wron, Jan 5, 3:15am
Thanks for replies. cgvl is yours a 257 model? Someone told me the quick loaf was faster than than 4 hours. ibcreative - I agree with you - I bought a 253 2 years ata sale when they were disappearing from NZ thinking my old one must give up the ghost but it just keeps going and going!!!! Never opened. And now there's the new one.

cgvl, Jan 5, 9:40am
no mines the SD-253. I just pulled the book out and yes you can do a basic loaf in 3 hours but thats the one I dont like and the 4 hour one is similar. I usually do mine overnight so it tends to be anywhere between 8 -12 hours.
Would love one of the new ones too but this one goes well so wont replace it until it dies.
The MIL's is one of the nearly original ones and just keeps on going, although she usually only makes a small loaf 1-2 times per week.
If I made our bread all the time ours would probably be going around 4-5 times a week lol.
I have to go out tomorrow so might go via one of the electrical shops and have a nosy just to see.

porthills, Jan 5, 9:58am
Yep consumer rated that one number one. I have got their number 3 Breville Ikon BBM 600, basic is just over 3 hours and is good, I have tryed the rapid which is just over 2 hours and I wasnt so pleased with the result. Havent tryed all the settings yet.

shiyo, May 11, 9:43am
I have just brought the new 257 model. My last panasonic lasted 25 years!!! I was gutted when I couldnt buy another a couple of years ago.will be selling the brevelle one which is good but nothing will beat the panasonic.Will put aloaf pn tomoorw and give it a test run. Yeah

creeky1, May 11, 11:20pm
I have one and the shortest baking time is 4 hrs.The time it takes has never bothered me. Makes awesome loaves.

legolas_, May 12, 1:29am
I have the new panasonic (mothers day pressy) its really really good but where can you buy a good bread machine book

shiyo, May 12, 9:43am
I have just brought the new 257 model. My last panasonic lasted 25 years! I was gutted when I couldnt buy another a couple of years ago.will be selling the brevelle one which is good but nothing will beat the panasonic.Will put aloaf pn tomoorw and give it a test run. Yeah

actros2, May 13, 1:47am
Yip we've got one and I love it, 4hr baking time for a large white loaf, think 5hrs is for wholemeal. I priced it out to be $1.88 per loaf (ingred and power prices, could vary slightly by area), pretty good for fresh bread yum.

dottypea, May 13, 6:23am
The mother and son duo put out a wonderful bread making recipe book - about $10.I use it all the time.

beechee51, May 13, 9:43am
My 257 takes four hours for the largest size loaf.

actros2, May 14, 1:47am
Yip we've got one and I love it, 4hr baking time for a large white loaf, think 5hrs is for wholemeal. I priced it out to be $1.88 per loaf (ingred and power prices, could vary slightly by area), pretty good for fresh bread yum.

wron, Jan 3, 11:15pm
Anyone got one!
A friend says they are highly rated in Consumer but theycommented on the long cycle - 5 hours. Is this for a normal white loaf which is 3 hours in my very old Panasonic! I know whole grain bread takes longer and wondered whether this was the 5 hours they were referring to!

cgvl, Jan 3, 11:35pm
A quick loaf takes about 4 hours in my Panasonic and a standard takes 5 hours. My MIL's is around the same.
Personally I dont like the quicker loaf as it doesn't have the same rise as the slightly longer loaf does. Same amount of ingredients just not the same size loaf.

Yes wholegrain bread does take longer again.

wron, Jan 5, 3:15am
Thanks for replies. cgvl is yours a 257 model! Someone told me the quick loaf was faster than than 4 hours. ibcreative - I agree with you - I bought a 253 2 years ata sale when they were disappearing from NZ thinking my old one must give up the ghost but it just keeps going and going! Never opened. And now there's the new one.

cgvl, Jan 5, 9:40am
no mines the SD-253. I just pulled the book out and yes you can do a basic loaf in 3 hours but thats the one I dont like and the 4 hour one is similar. I usually do mine overnight so it tends to be anywhere between 8 -12 hours.
Would love one of the new ones too but this one goes well so wont replace it until it dies.
The MIL's is one of the nearly original ones and just keeps on going, although she usually only makes a small loaf 1-2 times per week.
If I made our bread all the time ours would probably be going around 4-5 times a week lol.
I have to go out tomorrow so might go via one of the electrical shops and have a nosy just to see.