Pavlova failed :-(

kiwiscrapper1, Jul 28, 9:48am
First time in 41 years! I have always used the same recipe but for the first time it has turned out runny and looks like a big dinner plate in the oven! Not sure what went wrong, my chooks are off the lay so I bought some eggs! my recipe is made with boiling water and it was just off the boil so maybe it wasnt hot enough. Oh well it will be eaton mess for desert tomorrow!

kiwiscrapper1, Jul 28, 9:53am
Just realised mess is usually made with berries but out of season what could i add! I have passionfruit in the freezer!

245sam, Jul 28, 10:17am
kiwiscrapper1, I remembered seeing on Good Morning, an Eton Mess with a difference and thought that it may just be what you're wanting but while it is made with rhubarb, it does still have some berries - frozen strawberries.The recipe may still be of use to you (to modify possibly!) though so have a look at:-

http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning/rhubarb-eton-mess-4954990

Hope that helps.:-))

littlemissy1, Jul 28, 10:23am
Marshmallows, passionfruit, finely chopped lemon zest, chocolate, heat a jam to make a sauce, any other fruit (dryed, fresh, frozen) cream, icecream, jelly, sprinkles.!

kiwiscrapper1, Jul 28, 10:33am
Thanyou ladies, i have frozen strawberries! And rhubarb too. Thanks for the ideas, the failed pav is still in the oven, so i will go out and get more cream to make a mess lol! Grandchildren are coming so thought i would make it similar to ambrosia but of course no marshmellow so will have to get up early as its best to leave mixed for about 4 hours

donna_jo29, Jul 28, 11:56am
mine have just started working for me. im so happy now onto my sponge cakes. hmmmm

nzrose7, Jul 29, 12:48am
Cover it with whipped cream and fruit, then roll up like a swiss roll.

ace441, Jul 29, 4:06am
Kiwiscraper -check your vanilla essence (if you used it) - if you used Pure Vanilla instead of Vanilla Essence then that is what caused your pancake. Check the ingredients on the bottle - if it has alcohol in it then it is the wrong one. I learnt this about 15 years ago - and 4 pavlovas later, one after the other. I was so frustrated as they were for a dinner party that night I decided to do everything EXACTLY the same as I always had and when I went to pour in the Vanilla I thought "no I'll use the old bottle" and voila - it turned out perfect, the new bottle I purchased at the time was 'Pure Vanilla' and me thinking 'pure' must be better got that one instead and made pancake pavs.