Pavlova - how long will they keep?

weddingflowers, Jul 30, 3:44am
Hi, my speciality is pav's and they are eaten within a few hours of being made!As I have never had to keep one I need to know how long I can store them for - as I have to do a number of them for a wedding and wont be able to make them as I normally do the night before the event.I read somewhere that they will stay fresh in an airtight container for a week or so!Is this true!thanks, Glenys

245sam, Jul 30, 4:06am
Glenys, I have never tried to or needed to store a pavlova either, and neither have I tried freezing them but I understand that pavlovas freeze really well and that because of their sugar content, they do not freeze rock solid.
Although it's not relevant to you for the forthcoming wedding but could be for smaller households, the fact that the pavlovas don't freeze rock solid, means that individual servings can be cut from the frozen pavlova as needed.
I also recall reading that rolled pavlovas freeze well, filled and ready to decorate if wished, then serve.

Hope that helps.:-))

rosiemoodle, Jul 30, 4:34am
i have frozen them and they fine

weddingflowers, Jul 30, 7:24am
Thanks for that - I really wanted to keep them in the pantry in air tight containers, but if they are frozen, do they loose that lovey crunchy outer bits which probably the best part!Thanks for all your help.

245sam, Jul 30, 7:28am
As I advised above Glenys I can't give any assurances re pavlova storage for any length of time so my suggestion is that you make a pavlova asap and try storing it in the way you would like to for the wedding - hope you have a good hiding place though!:-))

rarogal, Jul 30, 8:28am
Well it's over 40 years ago now but my MIL made 20 pavlovas for our wedding and froze them. They were perfect.

weddingflowers, Jul 30, 9:06am
thanks everyone - sounds like I will be busy making and freezing pavs!cheers. Bless.