National Roast Day on Sunday

Page 2 / 3
sarahb5, Aug 4, 7:11am
LOL - you'd be the only one!

Yep - had yummy Yorkshire pudding at Howarth when visiting the pub in the Bronte village - the Yorkshire was plate sized and filled with the roast beef, vegetables and onion gravy

sarahb5, Aug 4, 7:12am
We have a roast pretty much every Sunday - for convenience as much as anything and in the cold mid-winter what better for a family dinner - don't have time to do it during the week

rainrain1, Aug 4, 7:38am
the orange kumera is lovely kai, to replace the yorkshire pudd

darlingmole, Aug 4, 7:46am
We really love a roast mutton - slow roasted with mint jelly . the usual spuds and kumara and either a coleslaw or crispy green saladMMMMMMM yum!

davidt4, Aug 4, 9:27am
We do too!A shoulder of mutton roasted for about six hours with garlic and pomegranate molasses is wonderful, and the leftover meat feeds us for days.

charlieb2, Aug 4, 11:16am
I'm sure I'm not!

And no, I mean pancakes. literally. with onion gravy.like crepes with onion gravy poured over the top! lolWhat you had sounds nice thougj

charlieb2, Aug 4, 11:19am
So many things are a 'promotion' these days. I guess people just chose to enjoy the ones that 'appeal' and ignore the ones that dont.Who cares if in some small way its promoting people having a nice meal with their loved ones. Its not like we are all going to rush out and buy a bottle of Selaks (although I could be persuaded)

beaker59, Aug 4, 12:54pm
Exactly, so many things these days are manufactured festivals and frankly tacky and americanised but I'm a sucker for anything that gets my family over for a meal and get together and a cuddle with my 5 granddaughters is the ultimate.

earthangel4, Aug 4, 8:51pm
Roast pork at lunch time today,as work is calling me this afternoon.

sarahb5, Aug 4, 11:21pm
We'll be having both - roast beef, roast potatoes, roast kumara, roast pumpkin, yorkshire pudding, broccoli, carrots and, if there's any room on the plates, brussel sprouts as well.Just wish I could find some Masterfoods horseradish cream to go with it - and no, horseradish sauce is not the same .

cgvl, Aug 4, 11:27pm
Roast Chicken here, ages since I did a sunday roast. The trimming will be roast pumpkin, roast parsnip, Kumara and spuds and probably peas or I may go pick some spinach haven't decided on the greens yet.
Pudding ummm maybe a fruit sponge for a change or ambrosia.
Tomorrow night will be a pie/casserole of left over chicken and vegies . one pot meal or maybe a stir fry.

rainrain1, Aug 4, 11:27pm
#35heck, do you have the shearing gang coming for dinner, thats a feed and a half

sarahb5, Aug 5, 1:45am
No - just the 4 of us but it's all about variety, not quantity and we all love our veggies here - there will be left over roast veggies with any luck for my lunch tomorrow though.I will only roast one kumara, some small pieces of pumpkin, etc. so we all get one piece each - might even chuck a beetroot in there as well if there's room in the pan.

toadfish, Aug 5, 5:29am
The house smells amazing.
Roast Lamb in,
Potatoes, Kumera, Parsnips, carrots, pickling onions, pumpkin in.
Cauli, Brocolli & Cabbage waiting poised for Roasts resting time.
G&T in hand.
We are like Sarahb, we like lots of little bits - like the variety, but I dare say there will be left over roast vegies. mmm tommorrows lunch.

charlieb2, Aug 5, 5:56am
Leftover roast veges are the best part! lol

Enjoy Sarahb (hope you had room for those Brussels, essential IMO) and Toadie!

holly-rocks, Aug 5, 6:32am
Juts roast vegies here.

norse_westie, Aug 5, 7:20am
My lasagna was divine.

mas45, Aug 5, 10:05am
I just scrolled down and saw this thread. I'm lucky enough to live on a dry stock farm (sheep and beef) and my roast of choice would be mutton. The only time we eat lamb is when guests stay because mutton is too strong for most people and the next day (mutton) in a sandwich with onion on fresh bread.yum-o

rainrain1, Aug 5, 6:52pm
Funny how some prefer lamb to the tastier mutton,We only ever kill mutton for the table unless a lamb needs slaughtering because of an injury, or knocks itself dead against something solid.Visitors love it.
Sometimes the whole animal is band sawed into steaks and chops after it is frozen

sarahb5, Aug 5, 9:41pm
Miss 21 had a roast (pork) as well at her flat in Wellington - judging by the photos on Facebook I think they had even more variety of vegetables than we did!They even had apple pie (decorated with their flat name) and ice cream - I didn't get as far as dessert.

mas45, Aug 5, 11:26pm
I know what you're saying, I just think lamb is too bland and you have to put too much with it to taste nice and hogget is just way too fatty. I recently had a wild pig put into bacon and ham.best ham I have ever, ever tasted. I couldn't stop eating it. That will be the ham of choice at Christmas.

rainrain1, Aug 6, 12:48am
Funny you should say that, we have been given a wild pork ham just recently.sounds like i ought to keep it for the xmas table.We have eaten the bacon which was beautiful

mas45, Aug 6, 1:24am
I normally get it turned into bacon and ham as I'm not a fan of chops or roasts but this ham was amazing. Me and a couple of my hunting mates demolished the whole leg in just a few hours watching the Olympics. Ham in fresh white bread sandwiches.what could be better

rainrain1, Aug 6, 2:00am
With hot home mixed mustard!Good for you and your hunting mates, you make it sound so tasty, I'm not so sure if I can wait till xmas now.

mas45, Aug 6, 2:51pm
You betcha, I also love microwaving the ham untill its quite hot and putting it in a sandwich. You see the time of this message I've just got back in from getting a couple of deer. Saw some pig sign, will check it out on the weekend.