Roast mutton

sjc72, Jul 29, 11:50pm
I am about to cook a leg of sheep (not lamb, not sure if it is hogget or mutton) for the first time. I am planning on putting garlic and rosemary on it. Biut am not sure of the temp to cook it at and do I sit it on the rack in the roasting dish or not? Also do I put water in with it, if so how much?

lx4000, Jul 29, 11:58pm
herbs and garlic yes, push into holes you make in the meat.

No water and at a low temp, say 160 for a few hours, more pending on size. Slow cook will make it tender and juicy

eternity04, Jul 30, 12:15am
make some holes in the meat and push in the garlic and sprigs of rosemary. dont add any water, put on a rack if you want to keep in out of its own juices and fat drippings. cook in a roastingbag, on a rack covered in tinfoil or put into a roast dish and cover with a lid. put it on around 2.30pm-3.00pm at a temp of 150oC. give it at least 3 1/2hrs to cook, stick a meat fork into it and if the juices run clear it is done, otherwise put back into the oven and test again in 30mins. keep on cooking until all the juices run clear.
Good Luck...Jan....

sjc72, Jul 30, 12:20am
I wasn't sure if sitting on the rack would dry it out? Thanks for the advice.

eternity04, Jul 30, 12:46am
As long as it is covered with tinfoil it will be ok or if it will fit into your roasting dish and you can cover it with the lid.

lythande1, Jul 30, 2:08am
Sheep is fairly fatty, so it won't hurt. You're roasting not braising remember. Yum, I'm jealous, haven't had roast sheep is so long!

otterhound, Jul 30, 3:21am
Me neither, and it's my favourite meat.Got 2 of our sheep going to meet god tomorrow=)

sjc72, Jul 30, 11:50pm
I am about to cook a leg of sheep (not lamb, not sure if it is hogget or mutton) for the first time. I am planning on putting garlic and rosemary on it. Biut am not sure of the temp to cook it at and do I sit it on the rack in the roasting dish or not! Also do I put water in with it, if so how much!

eternity04, Jul 31, 12:15am
make some holes in the meat and push in the garlic and sprigs of rosemary. dont add any water, put on a rack if you want to keep in out of its own juices and fat drippings. cook in a roastingbag, on a rack covered in tinfoil or put into a roast dish and cover with a lid. put it on around 2.30pm-3.00pm at a temp of 150oC. give it at least 3 1/2hrs to cook, stick a meat fork into it and if the juices run clear it is done, otherwise put back into the oven and test again in 30mins. keep on cooking until all the juices run clear.
Good Luck.Jan.

sjc72, Jul 31, 12:20am
I wasn't sure if sitting on the rack would dry it out! Thanks for the advice.

lythande1, Jul 31, 2:08am
Sheep is fairly fatty, so it won't hurt. You're roasting not braising remember. Yum, I'm jealous, haven't had roast sheep is so long!

otterhound, Jul 31, 3:21am
Me neither, and it's my favourite meat.Got 2 of our sheep going to meet god tomorrow=)