Help! Mutton/hogget to buy in Dunedin.

kernal1, Dec 18, 8:40am
Cannot find anywhere! Have you a friendly, maybe old fashion butcher that still sells this?
Country upbringing and know the difference, plus so much more to do with left overs!
Not interesting in buying a 2 legged item that needs stuffing!
Local, to me, butchers don't sell, super markets only have 'lamb"! (Obviously lambs are getting older!!)
Mouthy waters at 'farm kill' but, fingers crossed, someone has an old fashioned butcher!
Cheers

mooshiesmum, Dec 18, 8:42am
Can't help but had to read that 3 times to try and understand it!

fifie, Dec 18, 9:08am
There used to be a place in kaikora valley rd, can't remember name sorry not far from couplands used to have sides of mutton. Have you tried asking your local butcher about ordering one for you? probably because of the price these days sides are no longer big sellers, so they don't stock them. Agree with you much better deal if you can get it..

lythande1, Dec 18, 6:57pm
You rung them all? Where is the nearest freezing works butcher shop to you? They always have muttons/lambs.

suzanna, Dec 18, 7:31pm
Have you tried any of the homekill places? Also maybe the butcher on Hills road?

molly37, Dec 18, 7:44pm
Do people still eat mutton????

dezzie, Dec 18, 10:51pm
Some people, like me, actually prefer mutton or hogget to lamb, its got so much more flavour, its just a matter of knowing how to cook it properly.
Kernal, have you had a look in countdown, they sometimes have whole sides for $56, which seems a lot, until you look at one puny lamb leg roast and its $35 on it own.

kernal1, Dec 20, 3:28am
Cheers! Just phoned my local Countdown, they do have sides but told they sell as soon as they go out! Can ring and order one at 8am!
We think the same about our meat and even being a 'butcher's daughter' we never ate Lamb.

dezzie, Dec 20, 4:48am
oh great, I was hoping it was in all their supermarkets, I know its in both of them up here.
lol we had mutton roast last night, and proper shepherds pie is just out now, cooling a wee bit, because its nicer not scorching hot.

vintagekitty, Dec 20, 4:53am
Try Leckies butcher in st clair, they are fab

babytears, Dec 20, 4:57am
Without a doubt go to the wee homekill butcher in Outram - he's opened a new shop and he's very good and reasonable prices... um, i can try find the name if you need me to...

suzanna, Dec 20, 12:05pm
The Outram butcher was recommended to us for a beast we had done and never ever again. It was an appalling exercise from go to woe. The worst aspect was that the packets of mince etc had been squashed into boxes and then frozen which meant that when it came time for us to transfer to our freezer the bags had frozen together thus ripped apart as we tried to seperate them. Cornbeef was horendous. I could go on... We are not novices at this but having moved into a completely new district we weren't familiar with any local homekill outfits. Had some mutton done by a guy from Waikouite and it was fantastic just a pity he doesn't have a hoist to do beasts. I agree with Vintagekitty...love Leckies bacon, blackpudding and haggis.

webbo2, Dec 20, 9:00pm
There is a difference between hogget and mutton, hogget is lamb born last year , lamb is born this year and mutton can range from two years upto anyones guess!I think homekill has a big difference as the killing process is so much less stress for the animal hence tenderer meat even before cooking.

rainrain1, Dec 20, 9:08pm
Mutton has the best flavour

el.ken, Dec 21, 8:48am
New World at Mosgiel had mutton cut up on trays , chops , leg or a stuffed roll .They were about $26- 00 a tray which i thought was a good buy

illusion_, Dec 21, 10:07pm
Hogget = best of both worlds

porka1, Dec 1, 2:00am
I agree about Leckies bacon.Buy the best pigs available but I would say that and do a great job of curing for reasonably priced product.