Roast mutton

tamaki12, Jan 3, 2:21am
Any tips re: temp and length of cooking time? I'm more used to lamb, should I just leave it in for another 1/2 hour or so?

harrislucinda, Jan 3, 2:22am
muttonislongslowcookingforgoodresultshaveyougotitinnow

dezzie, Jan 3, 2:23am
hmm, probably a couple of hours more would be better, and drop the temp you usually use for lamb, I do mine from frozen that won't help to much, but, it goes in at 12 on 140, for dinner at 6.30 ish

tamaki12, Jan 3, 2:28am
Nope, just preheating the oven now, we are having friends over for dinner, will eat around 7:30ish? I've done a google which said 170 for 1/2hr then drop to 150 for 3 hours, sound about right? Its a half leg.

tamaki12, Jan 3, 2:30am
they also suggested a bain marie but it sounds a bit fussy for me, I thought maybe a splash of red wine and a regular basting instead?

harrislucinda, Jan 3, 2:35am
andastopchef,ssayrestfor15to30min

tamaki12, Jan 3, 2:42am
ok its in now, blow now I don't know what to do with my pumpkin and eggplant, I was going to roast them with the mutton but it'll never roast at that temp. We are just having a bean herb salad and a greek salad with the meat, cos its far too hot for a big roast meal but I did want to use the eggplant and the pumpkin up too. Thoughts? (sorry I'm painful today).

tamaki12, Jan 3, 2:43am
Ahhh yes, perhaps I could whack up the temp while the meat is resting and get my pumpkin and eggplant roasted nicely, sound like a goer?

ant_sonja, Jan 3, 2:47am
Grill the eggplant on the BBQ & don't worry about the pumpkin? Or if you really want to have it as well, steam the pumpkin and mash with butter, herbs and cream. You could roast some extra garlic cloves with the mutton and use them in the mash.

tamaki12, Jan 3, 2:52am
*sob* we don't have a BBQ!

*runs off to tell hubby the folk on TM recipes said we NEED a BBQ*

ant_sonja, Jan 3, 2:54am
hehe well you could just as well use a fry pan I spose ;-)

macandrosie, Jan 6, 3:15am
long & slow (150c) for mutton I never time it but when it has been on for a couple of hours or so I keep checking it. I like it to be browned & falling off the bone. You can even cook them in a large slow cooker successfully.

darlingmole, Jan 6, 3:18am
I cook my mutton for HOURS~! on long and slow heat, draining off an obsene amount of fat along the way.Re the eggplants, I'd probably dip them in egg and some spiced up bread crumbs and fry them in round slices

bellyatobhs, Jan 6, 3:21am
I cook a large joint on about 130deg for four hours then it is rested for 30mins, love mutton so tasty

tamaki12, Jan 6, 3:29am
It was ab fab and the best thing is we bought a whole butchered mutton from a friend so we still have 3 more legs left to roast, YUM! So tasty and tender.

alebix, Jan 8, 3:09pm
I personally would put it in around 2.30 if you eating around 7.30. But cook it on 100-120c...
low and slow.

I hope it turned out for you.. Sounded really yum.