Looking for onion marmalade recipe that fits

uli, Feb 8, 5:38am
Thanks for that - I did this a few weeks ago and we had it with cheese and other things as an entree to one of our pizza parties - it was a great hit.
I used normal white onions and much more rosemary and cider vinegar instead of the balsamic and used hot mustard instead of the seeds.

Makes a whole new recipe really :)

davidt4, Feb 8, 6:14am
Uli, did you use the full quantity of sugar!It seems like a lot, especially with the balsamic vinegar, which is sweetish.

bev00, Mar 11, 11:31am
ok you need 8 to 10 onions red or white balsamic vinager brown sugar butter water. first slice yr onions cook out in butter add sugar and water keep stiring adding a little water at a time. takes about 30 mins then add quart of a cup of balsamic and then you have it. is a recepie i use to make in the national gallery of london so i know it is good

Quoteseano7 (22 )4:44 pm, Sat 10

kandu1, Jun 25, 10:25pm
Okay- we eat scary amounts of watties bit on the side onion marmalade at the best of times- but now my daughter refuses to eat fruit jams and wants 'onion jam' for breakfast on toast. Seen the price!!
So I googled and bought tons of onions.
But most the recipes I find say they can only be stored 2 months. Well I bought a huge 20kg of onions! under 50c a kg it was good value- if they don't waste!
I want a recipe just like the bit on the side one- and no alcohol or fancy posh ingredients.
Can anyone help please!

geldof, Jun 25, 10:45pm
caramelise them down in some oil or butter then add some brown sugar and balsalmic vinegar. ( I added whole grain mustard to some)
I have just done a huge sack of them.
I put mine in used jam jars while hot and the lids all popped down.They will keep for ages.
I ended up doing them in the crock pot, Took 6 full pots.

Can post a crockpot recipe or stove top if you like.

indy95, Jun 25, 10:51pm
20 kilos of onions, kandu1 ! My eyes are watering just thinking of all that peeling and chopping ! I think I have a recipe which might be suitable otherwise there may be a great deal of French Onion soup or Onion Tart appearing on the menu in your home this winter.

Actually, this could be the start of a very useful thread.

kandu1, Jun 25, 11:00pm
Any chance of both! Thank-you!
I ended up doing them in the crock pot, Took 6 full pots.

kandu1, Jun 25, 11:02pm
Onions are good but so expensive in shops!
But I know- 20kg! urrgh!

geldof, Jun 25, 11:05pm
I'll put up a few and you can have a fiddle.
I rarely stick to a recipe properly.

Caramelised onion jam
2kg red onions, sliced
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
1/2 cup olive oil
3 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1. Place onions, ginger and rosemary in a large saucepan and cook gently in oil until soft.
2. Add brown sugar and vinegar and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
3. Stir through black pepper and mustard seeds. Pour into sterilised jars and seal

kandu1, Jun 25, 11:07pm
thankyou! that looks perfect!

kandu1, Jun 25, 11:08pm
can I use brown onions instead!

geldof, Jun 25, 11:09pm
These are the ones I did in the crockpot

I added 1 cup each of brown sugar and balsalmic vinegar in the last hour. (and 2 tbsp of wholegrain mustard to some.)
Brought it back up to high and then left the lid off to reduce down.
It initially makes the house smell very oniony
I also preserved them.

How to make caramelized onions in the slow cooker
Makes 4 cups.
Ingredients
5 lbsonions, peeled and trimmed
Cooking spray (I use olive oil cooking spray)
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
Directions
Spray the ceramic insert of a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
Thinly slice the onions (a food processor makes quick work of this), and pile the onions into the slow cooker. Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, and stir with a rubber spatula. The cooker will seem impossibly full, but that's fine.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 8 hours, stirring 2 or 3 times if you happen to be at home. The onions will reduce to fill less than a third of the cooker, and will turn golden brown and soft. Then, uncover the cooker, and continue to cook on HIGH for 1 hour, to allow some of the liquid to evaporate.
Remove the cooked onions from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon, let cool, and pack into containers with tight-fitting lids. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

indy95, Jun 25, 11:12pm
They certainly are expensive in some shops. The recipe I was thinking of is virtually the same as Geldof's. I have made this version which comes from NZ Gardener Homegrown Recipes.

6 onions roughly chopped
3 c red wine vinegar ( I used white )
3 c sugar
2-4 dried bay leaves
20 black peppercorns cracked

Simmer until nearly all the liquid has evaporated then put in jars and keep in the fridge.

When I made this I put it in sealed, sterilised jars and it has kept perfectly for 12 months so far.

geldof, Jun 25, 11:20pm
I thought the apple cider vinegar would be nice in this one, but haven't made it.
Onion Jam
• 1 tsp butter
• 2 onions, thinly sliced
• 1/2 c apple cider vinegar
• 1/2 c balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 c dark brown sugar
• sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
Melt butter in a sautee pan over medium heat. Add the onion slices and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften and begin to caramelize – about 10 minutes. Add vinegars and brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer until vinegars reduce and mixture has a thick, jam-like consistency – about 15 minutes. Taste, and adjust seasonings if needed.
Yields 1/4 cup.

I have been using the onions instead of tomato paste on the base of my pizzas.

geldof, Jun 25, 11:22pm
Any onion is fine.
The colour just won't be as rich with brown onions.I used brown.

kandu1, Jun 26, 12:08am
thankyou guys! off to (sob,sob) chop more onions!

duckmoon, Jun 26, 9:21am
I carmelised a whole lot of onions, put it in unsterelised jars and put in the fridge. It has lasted longer than two months.

I don't know what recipes you were reading, but the point of jams and pickles is that it is preserving the harvest for the cold winter months.

Also, I have some chutneys in my store cupboard which are now 18 months old and are fine

nauru, Jun 26, 7:10pm
This Onion Jam recipe makes about 3 jars which is enough for our needs and it keeps well.You could just double/treble recipe to your own needs. We like this as it is as close to the commercial one in taste that I have found so far.
600g chopped onions, 2 chopped apples, 1 cup sultanas,11/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablsp yellow mustard seeds, 2 tablsp minced garlic, 1 teasp salt, 1/8 teasp cayenne pepper, pinch curry powder, 1 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/2 cup water, few drops gravy browning.
Put everything in a pan and simmer 35 mins, give it a good stir and continue to cook until thickened.Add the gravy browning to darken to required colour. Pot and seal while hot.

lynja, Jun 26, 7:25pm
guessing it would be ok to freeze the onion marmalade! I do this with chutney and jam and both work fine. I do some in the traditional jars but as we dont go through it quicky I find that freezing it stops it shrinking and drying out.

nauru, Jun 26, 8:31pm
It should freeze fine. I did this with my Gherkin relish and Piccallili, froze it in small pots and it was OK.

duckmoon, Jun 26, 8:36pm
Swimming goggles help keep the tears away