Marmalade recipe pls!

happysmile4, Oct 4, 7:40pm
marmalade recipe pls! have tried three and they have not set!
thanks

pickles7, Oct 4, 7:55pm
Three fruit marmalade.

preserving pan
sugar thermometer

1 kg of grapefruit [poor-mans oranges]
1 kg navel oranges
2 lemons
4 liters water
5 kg white sugar

slice the fruit thinly, discard pips.
Put the fruit into the preserving pan
cover with the water and leave overnight.
Next morning bring the fruit to the boil and simmer uncovered for 1&1/2 hours.
warm the sugar in the oven
Remove from heat and stir in 5 kg of warmed sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then return the pan to the heat
Boil hard until it reaches 222%F---107%C
heat jars in the oven, boil lids
Put into hot jars and seal. I re use jam jars that self seal.
I don't test jams any more, messsssssy, just use the sugar thermometer.

beaker59, Oct 5, 11:25pm
I slice up grapefruit with one lemon in my blender until I have a 2L icecream container full then hold under tap until liquid is full enough to just get the lid on.

I leave this on the kitchen bench until the next day, then put it in a large pot with a couple of cups of water and simmer for about an hour stirring from time to time. I then add about 3/4 Kg of suger and simmer until it sets which doesn't take long maybe 1/2 an hour. I then put in jars usually washed resealable jam jars which I run through the dishwasher to clean and sterilise then pack the jam in while still near boiling hot leave the jar with the lid loose for a few minutes then tighten lid and turn over once or twice.

This makes about 6 to 8 jars and is very chunky and fruity the way I like it you can make this with any citrus pretty much I have done it with Grapefruit oranges lemons mandarins limes.

valentino, Oct 6, 12:31am
Forget the Grapefruit - use Tangelos, cheaper and far superior in all round taste.

Some people cannot eat grapefruit because of Heart condition.

samsnan, Oct 6, 3:42am
If you are trying to make marmalade now from fresh grapefruit it probably would not set. Marmalade needs to be made July August to get a good set. The older the grapefruit the less pectin they have.

rozke, Oct 6, 3:48am
l make 3 fruit marmalade.Put everything chopped up finely in a big tupperware bowl cook on 20 minute bursts twice.l then start the test to see if setting.Cook on 10 min burst check test .You should be able to tell from here how the set is progressing. Keep doing in 5 min bursts until the required set.Cheers

beaker59, Oct 6, 12:30pm
one I made last week set like a rock, must have been the lemon I throw in every time.

samsnan, Oct 7, 2:37am
Yes beaker you are right it probably will be the lemon. I always put one in mine.

pickles7, Oct 7, 8:44pm
I have found a micriwave recipe, I intend to try. One of these days. lol.

bev00, Oct 8, 11:06am
recycling .