$100.00 a week for food for the next 4 weeks

Page 3 / 3
gabrielle4, Jun 28, 2:23am
was just looking at this website this morning.http://goodcheapea-
ts.com/2010/02/build-frugal-pa-
ntry/

nauru, Jun 28, 2:32am
If I forget to presoak overnight I sometimes cookthe pulses in boiling water for 20 minutes and stand for 1-2 hours before fully cooking. I was given this tip by a friend.

nfh1, Jun 28, 2:34am
That is an interesting site - lots of recipes - thanks for posting.

jdbaby9, Jun 28, 9:35am
What works for me is planning meals with what I have in the cupboard and fridge.Then creating my meal roster from there and placing it on the fridge.For my family of 4 (2 kiddies: 20 months, 3 year old) grocery bill never goes past $90 with diapers included.

duckmoon, Jun 28, 9:42am
Don't buy any cleaning products for the next month. Use what you have, in the end they are mostly the same.

Do you have any lavender oil. Put 50 drops in 1cup of water, and use it as spray and wipe

nauru, Jun 28, 6:30pm
Yes, how about you!

kara101, Jul 2, 4:00am
I make macaroni cheese, but add a tin of crushed tomatoes in the bottom of the dish then put the cheese sauce over the top then you dont have to use so much cheese sauce.Just chop a bit of onion and left over ham or bacon sprinkled over the top with breadcrumbs and grill.

I use a scone dough and roll out very thin then use a $1 of crushed tomatoes, chopped onion, salt pepper, garlic salt a little crushed garlic, grated cheese (not too much) and left over shaved ham or bacon or cold chicken, on top of pizza.Cook for 15 mins in hot oven.

Make pancakes for special occassion birthday breakfasts rather than a dinner!Cheaper to make and the child still feels special.

Spaghetti bolognase is a cheap dinner, just mince and pan it out with two tins of chopped tomatoes, teaspoon of sugar and some frozen veges.Put small amount of grated cheese on top yourself rather than kids helping themselves to the cheese.

Give each child a packet of biscuits to last them the week.If they want to eat them all at once that is their decision or pan them out to last.

Shop at the fruit and vege shop they and compare prices to the supermarket, often you can get very cheap veges compared to the supermarket.Save seeds from pumpkins etc, dont throw out potatoes that have sprouted, plant them in the garden.Same with tomatoes keep them if they have gone soft and plant them out.

kuaka, Jul 2, 8:06am
Left over ham or bacon - assumes that you could afford to buy ham or bacon in the first place, and I suspect - would venture to suggest - that trying to feed a family on $100 a week, doesn't stretch to ham or bacon, neither of which are cheap.Pumpkins are cheap at the moment.Stock up on them and make lots of pumpkin soup.

nauru, Jul 2, 8:12am
Hi Strebor1 - Did you live in MQ2 in the NPC housing, (it is right at the top of the the MQ housing) as that was the accountants residence!. We also lived there but it was the GM's house then.

sherrie, Jul 2, 9:19am
Fish pie is a cheap dinner!I buy the smoked fish fillets in a tin with boiled eggs chopped and added to a white sauce.Mashed Potatoes on bottom and sides of dish with smoked fish, eggs and whitesauce added to the middle then top with remaining mashed potato and sprinkle with a little grated cheese and breadcrumbs.Its a favourite in this house!

connor2003, Jul 3, 4:52am
I do my grocery shopping once a month as there's only me and I buy my meat in bulk that lasts me for 6 months. So this month the grocery/meat cost $300. Although I've got a bread maker and make my bread I also buy bread for emergencies. Everything I buy I buy when it's on special, even if I've already got the items in the cupboard, it pays to stock up.

lynd1lou, Jul 4, 5:21am
Remember creamota! you can get now but go to the bins in the supermarket and get OATBRAN. Mmm its yummy just like creamota and you get a big bag for $1. 20 or so. Not paying for packaging either.

lynd1lou, Jul 4, 5:23am
Also when making mac and cheese, use a chicken or 2 stock cubes. Dont need as much cheese.