$100.00 a week for food for the next 4 weeks

Page 2 / 3
motorbo, Jun 26, 10:52am
i cant add to the great ideas but to say .pick out your fave meals from this month and make sure you have them more often so u budget in advance for some savings .if it becomes more they way life is the kids will accept it and like it.and you save more and learn more

2young1, Jun 26, 11:02am
porridge for breakfast, cheap sammies for lunch with apples oranges cheap at mo. dinners can be sossies mince baked beans potatoe dishes egg dishes pasta etc etc

frances1266, Jun 26, 8:09pm
Nearly all food has protein.Brocc and spinach has more protein than a steak.

cappucino1, Jun 26, 8:26pm
Have a look at supermarkets and vege stores for 'seconds'.Doesn't always mean there is anything wring with them, often just mishapen and not suitable for export market- often a lot cheaper than regular price.

kuaka, Jun 26, 8:44pm
Only register the car for 3 or 6 months, rather than a year.We do ours 3 monthly now, sure it costs a couple of dollars more over the entire year, but it's not such a hit in the pocket in one go.

nfh1, Jun 26, 9:36pm
Only if you base it on the amount of protein per 100 calories. You would get a lot of broccoli for a 100 calories compared to a pretty small steak. If you calculate on weight, then 100g of steak has about 5 times as much protein as 100g of steak.As broccoli is not a complete protein food it does not have all the essential amino acids contained in complete protein foods such as steak.Still a excellent source of some vitamins and minerals though and tastes good, although not as good as steak in my opinion!

fifie, Jun 26, 11:18pm
P/save SI stores onlyat the moment have fantastic daily deals thursday to sunday , some brilliant buys for family's if you need them., Some Past ones have been 12 toilet rolls $2, size 16 chook $5, good coffee $2, with those sort of pricesit all helps. Here is a link for your area and they will even E Mail you whats coming up but its only for those 4 days.http://www.paknsave.co.nz/stickmans-one-day-deals/

davidt4, Jun 26, 11:50pm
Really!I don't think so.

Protein in broccoli : 4.2g per 100g

Protein in beef steak (eye fillet): 20.9g per 100g

davidt4, Jun 26, 11:53pm
I haven't done the sums, but I would think that eggs offer the best value for money when it comes to protein.They are also cheap to cook as the cooking time is very brief, especially compared with cheap cuts of meat, which, apart from minced meat,need long cooking.

beaker59, Jun 27, 12:57am
Thats interesting I will try it I was told chickpeas need the water change to get rid of soluble protiens or suchlike which can cause flatulence! Maybe that isn't so.

genpat, Jun 27, 1:14am
Some really good ideas.The slow cooker is a blessing and there are lots of things you can use it for.When my children were little and I was very poor I became good at looking for specials,searching out cheap supplies of fruit etc. Always have lots of eggs,so fast and versatile. My adult kids look back and have great memories of the fun we had,always lots of good food and lots of laughs at Mum and her crazy bargain hunting.Good luck.

frances1266, Jun 27, 1:27am
You do not need to combine food to get your essential amino acids.
That is very outdated information.Frances Moore Lappe came to that conclusion in the 70s in her book Diet for a Small Planet but in further editionsadmitted she was wrong.
I have read often about brocc having more protein than steak.Too much protein is the cause of many cases of disease in the western world.

queenmaeb, Jun 27, 1:36am
I'm a big fan of toastie sandwhiches for lunch with a cup of soup. You only need a tiny amount of filling and cheese isnt vital at all. I pop whatevers leftover and lurking in the fridge in. mince, casserole, leftover cooked vegies etc. The kids like theirs with jam in and a dusting of icing sugar when cooked.

Another easy and handy idea is filled buns. I make the dough in my breadmaker, rolled out each bun amount to bread & butter plate size, drop in a tablespoon of filling ( mince, spaghetti etc) , maybe a tiny amount of cheese, then close up like a cornish pastie and bake. Kids love them. Best warm.

next-to-normal, Jun 27, 1:54am
soup soup and more soup which is a left over stew,use a little curry to make it taste good,rice is good and spuds roasted or home made chips, try a food bank as well, bite the bullet

lurtz, Jun 27, 2:18am
What a lovely gift of memories and self reliance you have given your family:-) Good on you!

I grew up in a family of eleven, and things were very, verytight, but I learned so much about thrift, and preparing good food from scratch, from my amazing mother.She was an excellent forager, and cook and she taught meso much. My dad taught us to fish, and to rabbit hunt, and to garden. As well as the main vege garden, each of the kids had a small plot.Nice memories:-)

jd426, Jun 27, 2:25am
Ox liver and onion casserole. It's full of flavour, really nutricious and so tasty.

nfh1, Jun 27, 3:27am
As I posted earlier - Only if you measure by calorific value - I think the same is true of lettuce - but not many people would eat 100 calories of lettuce - that is a lot of lettuce!

kinna54, Jun 27, 3:44am
Just got a cheap chicken $6.99 at New World.size 18. goes a long way with a bit of chopped cabbage and some noodles in chicken chow mein.
Other good saving tips are to add a couple of cans of cheap tomatoes (they are usually under $1) to mince to make it go further.as in spag bol, nacho bake etc,
A couple of slices ofcheap bacon goes a long way chopped up in stuffed jacket potatoes and makes a filling snack for lunch, a can of baked beans with some flavouring and a touch of budget grated cheese on top goes a long way in bread cases (or you can use a couple of cans and make one big bread case), quick and filling dinner with an egg or jacket spud on the side, can of corn goes a long way in corn fritters.

kinna54, Jun 27, 4:26am
Also definitely a good idea to stock up on rice.you can do so much with it.fried rice is a great filler, and not too expensive to make.

D.I.L often makes an economical tuna bake, goes a long way, and the littlies eat it for lunch cold as well.

biggles45, Jun 27, 4:38am
Cauiflower cheese is filling and could be a meal on its own or as veg with meat. Macaroni cheese too, but probably less healthy!

Bacon bake is cheap and a big hit here - I use leftover bacon or buy the budget offcuts or use any thinly sliced left over meat - layer partly cooked slice spuds, bacon, anything else suitable leftover in fridge (tomato slices, mushrooms sliced, peas, red or green peppers etc - (only limited by your imagination!). Add salt and pepper to taste between each layer. Make cheese sauce and pour over, add grated cheese on top and bake 180 for about 30 mins.

fatboy6, Jun 27, 9:21am
Thanks so much for the extra info.I have a few meals in the freezer and fridge etc so it is great to ahve the new ideas you have added

nfh1, Jun 27, 9:26am
Not sure if anyone has recommended Healthy Food Guide's site, but they have lots of low cost recipes which may give you some new ideas.

http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/recipe-collections/low-cost

sossie1, Jun 27, 9:29am
make your own pizza bases (not very hard, _ don't even knead them properly and they still rise, i just bash them around in the bowl with a big wooden spoon.)

we regularly have roasted vege pizza, which uses up all veges that need to be eaten

bella95, Jun 27, 10:26am
Wow. Great ideas! Only thing I would add is; I make it a rule to buy some of my regular non edibles every shop. Nothing worse than having to use most of your money on jiff, shampoo and toilet paper! Also I put an asterisk next to the things I'm low on (but could get by on for another week or two) if they're on special I buy them if not I wait.
If you layer cauliflower cheese with a couple of slices of ham in the middle and sprinkle with breadcrumbs it works as a great main.
I cook up a big pot of mince (grate in lots of veg to make it go further), portion it and freeze it then use some for lasagna, some for a shepherds pie, add a can of spicy chili beans to another then serve with rice (cheaper than nachos) and a dollop of plain greek yoghurt (cheaper and better for you than sour cream).
Make your own fish cakes ; When you cook spuds cook a double quantity next day, mash them add a chopped onion, some chopped garlic, parsley (if you have it) drain the oil from a can of tuna or mackerel into a frying pan (you'll need more oil than this but it adds flavour) and mush the fish into the potatoes etc, season to taste. Shape into patties, roll in flour, dip into beaten egg then roll in breadcrumbs. Fry till golden. REALLY good with some sweet chili sauce on the side and a salad.
Don't forget scones are fantastic and cheap.
Good luck. Hope it goes well.

drgl33t, Jun 27, 10:28am
a bit overkill on the milk dont ya think!