Yuck! roast beef

mazzy1, Jul 7, 1:04am
DH came home with a roast last night, but I don't like it - haven't eaten beef for years! I'm never a fan of rare meat either - when they cut it on cooking shows and it's still bleeding I find that particularly *blerk*! Any suggestions for how I can cook it tonight! It's a rolled roast weighing nearly a kilo.

manddtrott, Jul 7, 1:09am
I am doing a mystery meat roast tonight.(When you get to the end of the home kill and the labels have fallen off).I brown it then put it in an oven dish with mushrooms, bacon, mixed herbs, stock, onions and red wine and cook it for about four hours.Comes so tender and the gravy is already made. Good luck.

mazzy1, Jul 7, 1:35am
I might try this version - do you cover it at all, and what kind of temperature do you cook it on!

firemansgirl, Jul 7, 2:37am
I cover mine, and enough liquid to come about halfway up the roast. With a rolled one I also brown mine first. but I guess that's personal preference.

mazzy1, Jul 7, 2:46am
But does that make it kind of 'stewed' or steamed!

davidt4, Jul 7, 3:13am
Why not pot-roast it!

mazzy1, Jul 7, 3:14am
what is that, davidt!

kinna54, Jul 7, 3:17am
Like you I am not a fan of red cooked meat, can handle medium but to me if its bleeding it shouldn't be on my plate.
You could give this a go, keeps the meat moist: Rub the roast all over with a pkt of french onion soup, and some whole grain mustard, and place in an oven bag and just let it cook slowly. Save the juices for the gravy, and serve with a dash of horse radish cream.
Remember to rest the meat well before carving, if you do not want the juices running out on your plate.
If you really hate hot roast beefwhy not cook it up and use cold or hot in sandwiches for lunches.
Hot beef sandwiches with onions are delicious.

davidt4, Jul 7, 3:20am
A pot-roast is a big piece of meat, browned then braised with a small quantity of liquid in a Dutch oven or a big casserole.Here's a link to an example:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/classic-beef-pot-roast-10000001536793/

stevee6, Jul 7, 3:22am
Or chop it up and turn it into a stew with loads of veges. Freezes brilliantly too.

nik12, Jul 7, 10:31am
Does he like it rare! I only do mine in the slow cooker now. just chuck it in (usually frozen) about 10 on high.It's falling apart, well done but not dried out like I do in the oven by tea time.
If it's not frozen I'd put it on low at 10, or high at maybe 1ish!

mazzy1, Jul 7, 11:10am
In the end I put it in a roasting dish with onions, rosemary, a glass of red wine and a cup of stock - cooked it on 180 for an hour, then covered the whole thing in foil and cooked for 2 hours on 160, then rested it. Very tender, but still overcooked. I made yorkshire puddings for the first time and they were a little soft, then I made very salty gravy. DH ate it all but I wasn't very impressed. back to the drawing board!

guest, Jan 11, 7:17pm
I could watch Sclhndier's List and still be happy after reading this.

guest, Jan 13, 5:43pm
It looks like my pet human forgot to post MY furry pirtuce on the family website. I think my lovely human should register at Petsmart or Orvis. Two paws up for LL Bean too. I'm going to try to do it myself if I can figure out how. The computer keys are not big enough for me. I could use some new stuff, big stuff, I'm a big doggie. I didn't get an e-save-the-date. Woof! Don't you all think I should be invited? Let my family know! Licks & Sniffs, erikarlneko family

guest, Jan 14, 11:16am
lindycurtin on March 25, 2010 Brilliant! Great job but not the most enjoyable for some. My boiyfrend has to make a speech at a wedding next Sat and has subjected himself to solitary confinement in preparation. Wish he's seen this video earlier!