Girdle Scones?

Page 2 / 2
elliehen, Jul 15, 11:53pm
I like reading the pre-1950s New Zealand cookbooks with measurements like 'flour the weight of an egg' or 'butter the size of a walnut'.

Oven temperatures were Slow, Medium or Hot, and in the coal range the temperature for scones was often checked by how quickly a sprinkling of flour would brown on a hot oven tray.

fifie, Jul 16, 12:26am
Was bought up on a farm where we had a coal range. It was always stoked up and mum baked and cooked for the workers/shearers, scones, sugartop buns, pastry delights, big roasts a few i remember, always fresh baking there after school most days. Come lambing time there was always a lamb getting revived in front of the warmth as they were stud sheep and worth heaps.When they went into turkey farming the size of the bird that got cooked in it for xmas was amazing to todays ones. The coal was shoveled on as she baked away,to fill the baskets for smoko, this thread has bought back lots of memories.

nauru, Jul 16, 1:26am
I remember both my Granny and Mum sprinkling flour on the oven tray as both used a coal range. I also remember Mum feeling a bit out of her depth at first, when we finally converted to a NEW electric stove (or cooker as she called it)