Girdle Scones?

Page 1 / 2
kernal1, Jul 14, 5:20am
Happy memories of these being cooked on a 'girdle' on a coal range but recently brought a George Forman flat cooking plate (!why apart from maybe piklets!) Anyone have a recipe I could try please.even open to further ideas for this item!
Many thanks.

elsielaurie1, Jul 14, 9:00am
Try google

sossie1, Jul 14, 9:03am
griddle

lizab, Jul 14, 9:10am
Girdle is Scottish for griddle

sossie1, Jul 14, 9:11am
Ok, didn't know that.

lizab, Jul 14, 9:24am
lol Sossie - and they're really delicious too :)

sossie1, Jul 14, 9:25am
i've had "griddle" scones before, but had never heard them called girdle, even when i lived in Glasgow!

elliehen, Jul 14, 9:56am
Maybe it's a colonial thing.Aunt Daisy called them Girdle Scones and her recipe is here in this Guardian link :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2006/dec/16/familyandrelationships.family4

davidt4, Jul 14, 10:30pm
My Glaswegian grandmother called them girdle scones and so do I.

tinkagirl, Jul 14, 10:40pm
sossie1 wrote:
i've had "griddle" scones before, but had never heard them called girdle, even when i lived in Glasgow![/uote]

My mum use to make "girdle" scones at "Motate" when I was a kid, they were awesome

sarahb5, Jul 14, 10:58pm
I get confused with the whole "pikelet" name - in the UK (the Midlands, where my mum is from) what we call pikelets they call Scotch pancakes or drop scones, what we call crumpets they call pikelets and what we call English muffins they call crumpets - it's all very confusing.

lurtz, Jul 14, 11:05pm
Also called drop scones, scottish pancakes and probably a few other names too:-)Girdle scones are more like piklets or pancakes rather than the consistency of conventional oven baked scones. I use my wonderful old cast iron girdle (or griddle as some folk call it), for makingsoda bread and Irishpotato bread.For those who remember the time when ladies corsets were called girdles, I always have a smile when I read the introductions "First butter your girdle."

elliehen, Jul 14, 11:46pm
I love all the words and their variations.A Welsh neighbour I had called her girdle scones 'Bakestones'.It doesn't change the nature of the beast :)

My cast iron frying pan, bought in the USA, has 'skillet' indented on the base.

kay141, Jul 14, 11:57pm
In my youth, girdle scones were patted into a circle and then cut in 8 triangles. Drop scones were more like pikelets, dropped from a spoon.

davidt4, Jul 15, 12:11am
That's how my Scots grandmother made hers.

moviebug, Jul 15, 12:25am
True:-) My mother made similar and she called it soda bread. There seem to be many variations in names and descriptions and consistencies of Girdle Scones. A quick look through my recipe book collection describes both the softer batter and the firmer dough variations as Girdle Scones. As elliehen says the words and variations are so interesting.

fifie, Jul 15, 12:48am
Old Recipe here, remember going to neighbours as a kid to watch television when it first came out, and she always had them on the coal range cooking on the girdle, they were split buttered and she put honey,syrup, or jam on themwe munchedas we goggled at the box lol.
Girdle Scones. old measurements sorry,
8 oz Flour,1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon creme tartar,2/3 cup sour milk. Mix as usual turn out onto a floured board, quickly and lightly shape into a round cut into 8 triangle pieces place on the gridle in the round shape and cook till browned both sides and cooked through and risen. Remove cool on a clean tea towel, covering to keep moist.

fifie, Jul 15, 12:48am
Old Recipe here, remember going to neighbours as a kid to watch television when it first came out, and she always had them on the coal range cooking on the girdle, they were split buttered and she put honey,syrup, or jam on themwe munchedas we goggled at the box lol.
Girdle Scones. old measurements sorry,
8 oz Flour,1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon creme tartar,2/3 cup sour milk. Mix as usual turn out onto a floured board, quickly and lightly shape into a round cut into 8 triangle pieces place on the gridle in the round shape and cook till browned both sides and cooked through and risen. Remove cool on a clean tea towel, covering to keep moist.Says they can be cooked in a electric frypan also but ive never tried it.

elliehen, Jul 15, 12:57am
fifie, there's another old recipe made with cold mashed potato and a bit of flour which is also for instant eating straight off the stove.hot, and dripping with butter.

Such feasts always make me think of this nursery rhyme:

"Three little ghostesses
Sitting on postesses
Eating buttered toastesses
Greasing their fistesses
Up to their wristesses
Oh, what beastesses
To make such feastesses!"

--An Old English Nursery Rhyme

lizab, Jul 15, 6:10am
lol Elliehen - I've never heard that one before and I'm a Brit! My grandmother used to make 'flour scones' and they were pretty much exactly the same as girdle scones. I'd love to have her around now, as she was an absolutely beautiful baker :(

sarahb5, Jul 15, 9:16am
I've heard that rhyme and I know my mum's granny used to make potato cakes like that (not sure what they were called) but she was from rural Gloucestershire and her mum was a gypsy apparently so possibly an Irish thing

sarahb5, Jul 15, 9:17am
My gran was too - a fantastic cook but I never saw her use a cookery book or a recipe once

fifie, Jul 15, 10:13am
Haven't heard that one, but can't you just imagine them dripping in butter as they scoff.Looking back we used to eat the scones almost piping hot, this lady wasn't young either used to make heaps of them when we turned up for corro and peyton place.

nauru, Jul 15, 11:43pm
Growing up in the North East, I also knew them by those names so Iwas a little confused when I first came to NZ

nauru, Jul 15, 11:50pm
Mine too and she never weighed anything either. It was a handful of this and a handful of that with that amount of butter or lard when making pastry etc.Everything always came out of the coal range oven baked to perfection. Her scones were to die for, so light and fluffy.