Why cant i make big, light, fluffy scones

Page 1 / 3
purplegoanna, Jul 12, 10:24pm
talking to the mother in law yesterday about scones, shes admits too that in all her years shes neva been able to make a decent scone (shes a accomplished baker at 70+yrs old too).you know the big wopper light airy tasty scones that you see some woman present at the table.

village.green, Jul 12, 10:29pm
I am no expert but mine are moderately light. I think incorporating as much air as possible helps as well as minimal handling. When I make scones I only pat the dough together never knead and then cut with a knife. Some people think using scone cutters affects the rising too!
Someone more experienced hopefully will offer more opinions.
ps. tomorrow I am going to try and make a light victoria sponge.

cookessentials, Jul 12, 10:58pm
Try making buttermilk scones, you will never look back! Yell out if you would like my recipe.

purplegoanna, Jul 12, 11:02pm
OF COURSE.YELLING NOW.i going to suceed with the damn things one day.the lady in the cafe up the road makes these giant cheese ones, theyre about 4-5in w and about 3 inch high.they sorta lean over to one side they grow so big.each mouthful is a mouthwatering morsel.sadly she runs her cafe inside a large warehouse so the only people who can buy them are the workers.(of which i am no longer)

sarahb5, Jul 13, 12:05am
My mum makes hers with milk that's slightly sour and they are always light and fluffy - I think it's because of the extra "action" going on with the milk.I imagine the buttermilk scones would be similar for the same reason.Scones are best made quickly - no messing around playing with the dough to make it look pretty, etc.

sarahb5, Jul 13, 12:06am
Remember Brett who won Masterchef!His mum makes the best cheese scones I've ever tasted

village.green, Jul 13, 12:31am
Agree with the buttermilk way. I tend to use Annabel White's buttermilk recipe but would love another.
I do sometimes sub 'real' buttermilk with milk and an added tsp of vinegar.

spot20, Jul 13, 12:53am
Buttermilk all the way.

elliehen, Jul 13, 12:59am
.and a light touch.Aunt Daisy's scone recipes say 'Handle nicely'.

cookessentials, Jul 13, 1:31am
Here you go.
The only scone I make is a buttermilk scone which stays soft even the next day. I have copy and pasted this off our website for you. I make large scones, so it would make about 6-8 large ones. They are lovely with a good,fruity jam such as strawberry and softly whipped cream.

Buttermilk Scones.(Makes 16)
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea

cgvl, Jul 13, 2:23am
I make mine in the kitchen whizz. Take out give a very light knead and roll out about an inch thick and cut with a glass. Into the top of the oven at 220C for 5-10 mins.
If I pat mine out they turn to stone, also I use half milk half water and some of that is aerated water like soda water and 2tsps baking powder per cup of flour.

hmck, Jul 13, 2:40am
Thank you for that recipe - I'm going to try this out as my scones usually end of being good enough to fire as ammunition from a cannon.

cookessentials, Jul 13, 3:41am
Remember to handle them lightly. They are delicious.

imagine4, Jul 13, 3:43am
i use skim milk powder instead of milk.and dont handle them to much after mixing.I use a knife to mix. mmmmmm lovely soft and fluffy lol

waswoods, Jul 13, 9:28am
Don't flatten them too thinly. Pack them next to each other in the baking dish so they rise up instead of out

fifie, Jul 13, 10:13am
Pre heat oven and tray to hot oven, Mix liquid in to softish dough when oven is hot and work quickly, handle little as possible pat out not to thin, cut into good size squares put close together and touching on the tray so they rise, make with buttermilkfor sweet ones add 1 desertspoon icing sugar, when cooked always cool covered with clean tea towel helps keep them nice and moist and fluffy.

sunnyflower, Jul 13, 10:32am
i use the edmonds premix the scones are so light and allyou do is add water

katalin2, Jul 13, 10:42am
I couldn't make decent scones until I started using the "Idiot Proof Scones" recipe from here- they are light, keep fresh the next day and very easy to make- don't need lemonade, cream or buttermilk- just ingredients you would normally have in the cupboard.

aglarana, Jul 13, 10:49am
Use off cream, buttermilk, or soda. Use 2 knives to mix the butter in then do the rest of it by hand. Don't play with the mixture too much. And don't push the mixture down when you put it on the tray or into a dish.

bev00, Jul 13, 11:20am
Oh i want to know the secret too.The Ohakune train station cafetaria sells scones like that.How do they manage to bake them so pale and evenly coloured. I've tried so many recipes and mine always overcook on tops and bottoms :(

aglarana, Jul 13, 11:22am
Convection ovens. Thermawave ovens are also supposed to do the same thing because the fan keeps the heat rotating.

antoniab, Jul 13, 8:48pm
My friend has a food blog and just posted these on FB yesterday - must try them out soon, they look amazing!
http://mumblesandrumbles.com/2012/07/11/the-best-scones-in-the-entire-galaxy/

spot20, Jul 13, 10:19pm
Yep thats another thing I have recently learnt.lightly lightly.

bev00, Jul 14, 12:41am
Ta for that - makes sense.Might have to ditch my basic as oven on my quest for the perfect scone.

tramore, Jul 14, 3:57am
I always make my scones withan egg beaten with the milk and they turn out lovely and fluffy too!Made them for lunch today!Yum!