Why cant i make big, light, fluffy scones

Page 2 / 3
jia5, Jul 14, 4:30am
Milk and butter must be kept really cold. The least handling the better, so don't work the dough to much.

cookessentials, Jul 14, 4:40am
I also grate my butter into the dry ingredients as it is far easier to rub in.

jia5, Jul 14, 4:51am
Yes, so much easier.

bobee, Jul 14, 5:23am
per cup of plain flour
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1 heaped tbsp milk powder
2 tbsp ( grapeseed or ricebran ) oil (no flavor)
cold H2O to mix
mix the oil in first with a fork you should come out with a breadcrumb like mix. change to a knife for mixing.
I would not usually measure H2O you know if you have enough mixed in if there is about a good 1/4 cup left in bowl still breadcrumb like, the rest will be starting to come together in a wet lump.
tip onto your floured bench/board. the bread crumbs left in the bowl will act like flour for the top of mix. only pat the mixture out probably abitthicker than your thumb is wide DO NOT KNEADcut with a knife to squares/ rectangles if you use a circle you will find there are a few scones that have been kneaded too much so will be tougher. place about 1cm apart on tray this makes them rise.
cook in oven that is as hot as it'll go on bake (if you have fanforced - 25'c with the tray above middle (you may need to turn the tray around so they cook evenly) usually 10 - 15 mins. test by prying one apart
for different flavors add to flour before mixing
chez1/4 cup finely cubed chez of your choice + paprika sprinkled on top
sweet 1/4 cup sugar + sultanas or dates chopped

bobee, Jul 14, 5:24am
fanforced minus 25'c

karenz, Jul 14, 5:34am
Found this, sounds very idiot proof, I would love to just once make cheese scones that tasted like they had cheese in them (and I do use tasty cheese)
going to make them tomorrow

Idiot proof Scones. Here it is again for anyone.
Melt 50gms butter in a microwave jug. Let cool a little and break 1 egg into it and top up with milk to = approx 1 3/4 cups liquid. Mix well with a fork. Add by mixing with a knife to 3 large cups self raising flour. Bake 230 for 10 mins. You can add a bit of sugar and fruit or cheese or whatever you feel like.
Quote subo (166 ) 8:30 am, Tue 7 Oct #6

the original subo recipe

marazion, Jul 14, 5:47am
Add a tablespoon of cornflour

nellbee, Jul 14, 5:51am
The other thing to remember is that a scone dough should be on the moist side - a dry mix will give you hard little bullets that you could fire from a gun.

Other than this, just quick mixing and minimal faffing around with them will see you right. Oh, and a hot oven to begin with (225), and then I turn it to about 200 halfway through.

mottly, Jul 14, 6:01am
I use the yoghurt scone recipie that came in the Eziyo cookbook - lovely scones, fluffy and light :)The trick is to not 'work' them much.

davidk63, Jul 14, 7:17am
Me 2.I could never make scones, till my friend told me to just use self raising flour and milk, enough to make it gooey.Add whatever, cheese, dates, whatever and bake in joven 20 minutes,and whola.Best scones esay as.Try it. in what ever quantity, it really works

wheelz, Jul 14, 9:58pm
Egg in a scone ! That's not a scone then.

subo, Jul 15, 5:30am
I have an old 1962 Mrs Beetons Family Cookery book with lots of scone recipes in it and she uses 1 and sometimes 2 eggs in her scone recipes. I think it comes down to what you like really.

bella95, Jul 18, 2:54am
Wow. Just made these. Super light and flufffy and rose heaps. Stoked! Thanks cookessentials.
Only thing was I had to add quite a lot more buttermilk (Prob used generous cupful) as they wouldn't stick together.

cookessentials, Jul 18, 9:07am
That's ok bella95, you sometimes need to use a little extra and it will also depend on your particular measuring cups or method of measuring. You will find that these scones are even lovely and soft the next day. You can freeze cooked ones too which is perfect if you need something for unexpected visitors.

hmck, Jul 18, 8:17pm
Made them on Sunday - yum!And they lasted for lunch on Monday too - extra yum!thank you.

cookessentials, Jul 18, 10:25pm
You are most welcome. They are the only scones I make and people love them

elliehen, Jul 19, 1:00am
Her 'secret ingredient' was a pinch of cayenne pepper.

cookessentials, Jul 19, 2:11am
I've always put cayenne pepper in my cheese scones and always a tasty cheese as the milder cheeses dont give enough flavour. A good tip is to add some parmesan cheese for that extra kick or try out the Wallace & Gromit" cheese scones

cookessentials, Jul 19, 2:14am
""We need more cheese Gromit!" Very serious cheesy scones which use way more cheese than normal for a scone mix; they will not rise quite as high as plain scones - but as you can see from the photo, they get there! Try and use a good quality mature Cheddar or any local type of strong cheese that is available. They can be made in about 20 minutes, if you have all the ingredients to hand and the oven has been pre-heated. Great for afternoon tea, picnics, buffets & packed lunches. You can also add chopped chives & herbs for a change."
Ingredients
500 g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon English mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
75 g butter
300 ml milk
200 g extra mature cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
Directions
Preheat oven to 220C
Mix all the dry ingredients together.
Rub in the butter until it remsembles crumbs.
Add 5 ounces of the grated cheese & mix well.
Add the milk and mix very quickly - do not over mix.
Mixture should be sticky and soft, if too dry, add more milk.
Place onto a floured board a knead briefly.
Roll out to about 3cms/1" thickness.
Stamp 12-14 rounds out of the dough - do NOT twist the scone cutters as it stops them from rising!

keeley4, Jul 19, 5:08am
I even had a fail with that earlier this week.I tasted one and then threw the rest out to the pukeko's.

sarahb5, Jul 19, 5:13am
There must be more to it than that - I put cayenne pepper in my cheese scones and no way do they ever come out like Annette's!

weha, Jul 19, 5:18am
what can one use instead of buttermilk.its not something I always have on hand.can I make my own by adding lemon juice to milk or something similar.

cookessentials, Jul 19, 7:06am
Yes, you sure can

susieq9, Jul 19, 10:33am
I have always used cream that has gone sour, and just add some water to make it go further.

brisgirl, Jul 19, 10:52am
I am not going to share these reciepes with my hubby, we have bake offs and he has yet to master the perfect scone, as long as I keep this hidden he will never win lol. Evil wife I am lol.
Lovely new reciepes for me to sneak into my range of things he can't bake.Thanks everyone.